Neat old ideas... - Page 2 - Old Time Farm Practices & Suggestions - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community - Page 2

Photo

Neat old ideas...

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 j_luken

j_luken

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Locationtexas

Posted 07 June 2016 - 09:17 AM

Simpler times, I wish we could go back to them, even loosing some of the modern convieniences, just not modern medicine (I love those close to me to much to loose that).    : )

• glasswrongsize likes this

#22 luke strawwalker

luke strawwalker

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2967 posts
  • LocationNeedville and Shiner, TX

Posted 17 June 2016 - 10:16 PM

(snip)

Also, my favorite...emergency wrench...take a long bolt that has two burrs (nuts...they talked funny in 1919) and adjust them to the position needed to accept the nut or bolt head you want to remove. Cool.

(snip)

My hat is off to Farm Journal for cool stuff even in 1919. Love to see some late 1890/1900 stuff.

Yep... that sounds like the world's first crescent wrench... :) 

I found Grandpa's collection of Progressive Farmer mags and Farm Journals up in the attic from the 50's and 60's... LOTS of good ideas in there that have held the test of time, ESPECIALLY for a small farmer. 

Kinda interesting seeing some of the "old ways", like oiling shoes and early spray rigs and stuff like that...

Later!  OL J R :)

#23 Draft Horse Hay

Draft Horse Hay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 29 July 2019 - 08:43 PM

I'm thinking the 2 nuts on a bolt "wrench" is designed for the square nuts of the day ---- It sure could work w/ hex nuts but certainly less bite than on a square nut.  I work on some old horse drawn equipment and am often surprised at how easily the old square nuts come loose after decades in the bushes.  Any ideas as to why?  Slightly different pitch on the threads?  Not as tight tolerances? 

"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do. Or do without."

#24 Draft Horse Hay

Draft Horse Hay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 29 July 2019 - 09:09 PM

Neat old idea??? Try paying cash for a major purchase. Very hard to do as by the time you have accumulated enough funds...greed tends to set in and then you hate to spend it :confused: .

Regards, Mike

My problem ends up being I can't accrue funds as fast as the price of what I'm looking at goes up.

• rjmoses likes this

#25 Ox76

Ox76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 377 posts
  • Locationwest central MO

Posted 30 July 2019 - 08:25 AM

A quick search revealed that that's at least a $100 book you have there...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors