What features do you use on a smart phone.... - Page 3 - Survey Says... - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community - Page 3

Photo
- - - - -

What features do you use on a smart phone....

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15301 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 14 April 2020 - 09:01 AM

I was at a meeting in a restaurant at 7:00 am one morning. There was about 8 of us and we were opinionating one at a time going around the table. When it came my turn to voice, the guy across the table answered his phone and started talking. I did not say a word just burned a dang hole through him with my stare. It was total silence around the table except him....and soon he got the message. Everyone else was staring at him too. He put his phone up and that was that. Not only is it ignorant to place others aside while you converse, it is just plain rude.

I never could tolerate rude behavior......Woodrow F. Call.

Regards, Mike

• somedevildawg, IHCman, stack em up and 1 other like this

#42 stack em up

stack em up

They say you’re a man of vision....

• Members
  • 2846 posts
  • LocationWatonwan County MN

Posted 14 April 2020 - 09:50 AM

I never could tolerate rude behavior......Woodrow F. Call.

Regards, Mike

And dawdling Service!!! - Augustus McCrae
  • somedevildawg and IHCman like this

#43 IHCman

IHCman

• Members
  • 1311 posts
  • LocationNorth Dakota

Posted 14 April 2020 - 03:06 PM

I never wanted a smart phone. I figured why do i need internet when I wouldn't have time during the day to look at it anyway. Well 2 or 3 years ago I got tired of my flip phone. It seemed if someone would send me a picture of a nice buck or something, alot of times it wouldn't load on my phone so I figured it was time to upgrade. I wanted a tough phone that I wouldn't need a case for. Checked around online and decided to try a Cat phone as its drop proof, water proof, dust proof, and just tough. It might not have the latest and greatest features, camera isn't as good as newer more expensive phones, but it works just fine for me. Its tough, I've dropped it in cow shit, rinsed it off with water and still works, I've lost it on a gravel road twice by setting it on the edge of my pickup box, telling myself not to forget it, then forgetting it and driving away. First time it happened I drove down the road till I found it, second time a neighbor found it after he drove over it, then called my Dads phone to find out whose it was. He couldn't believe and neither could I that he run over it and it still works with hardly a scratch on it. I joke you could drive a staple with it, its that tough. Cat also has another model that has an infared camera on it, I was to cheap to buy that one but now I wish I had. I figure that infared camera might be handy to check bearings.

I never thought I'd need much more on a phone than a calculator, notepad, and sometimes a camera. Well since getting a smart phone I use the internet quite a bit throughout the day to check weather, markets, and love youtube to trouble shoot things if I'm stumped, look up parts and lots of other information. One of the first apps I downloaded was a bubble level. I was installing a solar powered well and needed to mount the panels at a certain degree angle. I was in the middle of nowhere and didn't have anything with so got to checking and found a level app to download. downloaded it out in the middle of a pasture and used that to set my angle. My Dad gives me crap all the time how often I look things up or use my smart phone as I always said I didn't need one. I tell him he needs one because he is always asking me to look things up for him. 

• Vol, somedevildawg and Palmettokat like this

#44 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3244 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 14 April 2020 - 03:49 PM

Dawg, I think you hit most of the points not using/answering pretty good (along with rising of an old thread).

Mike, too bad you didn't have a video, to upload to U-tube, oh wait you could have possibly been doing the same thing. :D  That's alright, I painted my own mental picture, like in the 'olden' days. ;)

There is one thing that find my 'smart' phone better for than the old flip phone. It works better as a paperweight in the wind.  Between the weight of the phone and not as slippery seems to the ticket. :cool:

Larry

• Vol and somedevildawg like this

#45 IH 1586

IH 1586

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1786 posts
  • LocationNorthwest PA. Warren County.

Posted 15 April 2020 - 04:31 AM

My wife's daughter and friends unknowingly caught while out for breakfast one morning.

Attached Files

• Vol, somedevildawg, JD3430 and 1 other like this

#46 CowboyRam

CowboyRam

An ounce of doing is worth a pound of talk

• Members
  • 991 posts
  • LocationRiverton, WY

Posted 15 April 2020 - 07:58 PM

I always buy a phone that meets military specs.  I found the map function comes in handy when traveling.  

• IHCman likes this

#47 veriest1

veriest1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationCentral TeJas (Cleburne)

Posted 19 April 2020 - 11:50 AM

I'm on my second Samsung in their "Active" line and it seems pretty tough. I had an S4 Active and now and S8 Active that I've had since they were introduced.

For practical purposes I use the internet to trouble shoot problems without having to go back to the house, the calculator and notepad get used a lot for their respective functions, and I keep ballistic software on it. I use a hunting app that lets me mark game trails and rubs when out and about in the woods as well. I  like being able to stream podcasts and audio books while driving. Be it in the truck, van, or one of the tractors whatever I'm listening to is always available.

I don't use the maps much but when they're needed they're really handy.

• IHCman likes this

#48 JD3430

JD3430

"Trump deplorable"

• Members
  • 10722 posts
  • LocationPA/DE border

Posted 19 April 2020 - 03:51 PM

I watch my sons games on it live on the NEC network.  :)
I used the Lightning app with warning function when coaching. 

#49 Palmettokat

Palmettokat

• Members
  • 894 posts
  • LocationSC, about 20 miles west of Myrtle Beach

Posted 19 April 2020 - 07:31 PM

Okay, how old is toooooo old to answer...lol what apple had maybe one or two upgrades..? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors