Favorite tractor when growing up - Page 3 - Tractor Talk - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community - Page 3

Photo

Favorite tractor when growing up

• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

#41 Richardin52

Richardin52

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:45 PM

Tractor... what tractor? We had an old model A one ton truck that someone had cut down so it was about as long a a VW bug had chains on the back and four on the floor. The block was cracked so it leaked oil so my father always saved the old oil from the car and dumped that in.

We got it from another farmer that had bought a real tractor. We had a bunch of old horse drawn equipment, manure spreader, McComic Deering mower, a kick rake etc. Put hay up loose but we had a real nice barn that had a nice set up with a hay fork and track.

I kinda thought we were a little backward until I started helping on my wife's farm where they had a self propelled JD baler. That's when I found out what work was. 16 foot hay conveyor trying to put bales into a 30 foot high barn. That old hay fork was a whole lot easier.

So I guess being the only kinda tractor we ever had I would have to pick that old model A.

Talking about it kinda takes me back. The whole family pitching hay on the wagon working together. Dog laying under the wagon. Going to the swimming hole after dark when haying was done. Worst job was treading hay, too dam itchy.

Edited by Richardin52, 14 April 2012 - 12:18 PM.

#42 OK Wheat farmer

OK Wheat farmer

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:18 AM

Dad had a 1256 Wheatland with a rear entry cab on it. That was a really good tractor but riding in that old add on cab as a child probably has a great deal to do with why I say "huh?" so much as an adult lol. We thought heaven had arrived on earth when grandad bought a nearly new 2+2. Quiet cab, air conditioner (as opposed to water coolers) and an FM radio with an eight track tape player. We thought life could get no better.

#43 Tyler B

Tyler B

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:32 PM

Ha ha! What great stories. Mine is grandpas JD A, picking hay at age 5. I had to stand on the clutch with both feet to stop the tractor for dad to throw bales on the rack...we were both alot slimmer then!

#44 JD3430

JD3430

“Not a real farmer” farmer

• Members
  • 10999 posts
  • LocationBANANA REPUBLIC of America

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:25 AM

Wow!! Those are some great stories!!!

#45 hillrunner

hillrunner

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:25 AM

We never owned one but I thought an IH 1466 was about the coolest tractor around as a kid. As far as equipment I had actually been in, I sure liked my Grandpas Oliver 1955, I can still remember what the cab smelled like inside.

#46 haybaler101

haybaler101

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2192 posts
  • LocationCarlisle, Indiana

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:38 PM

Ha ha! What great stories. Mine is grandpas JD A, picking hay at age 5. I had to stand on the clutch with both feet to stop the tractor for dad to throw bales on the rack...we were both alot slimmer then!

You must have had the only two-cylinder deere with a foot clutch.

#47 FCF

FCF

• Members
  • 518 posts
  • LocationCampbellsville, Kentucky

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:52 PM

You must have had the only two-cylinder deere with a foot clutch.

All the smaller two-cylinder deeres had a foot clutch. If the cylinders were vertical the clutch was foot operated. Think models like: M, MT, L, LA, 40, 420 and 430.
  • sixtyninegmc likes this

#48 Shetland Sheepdog

Shetland Sheepdog

• Members
  • 1268 posts
  • LocationHollis, NH, USA

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:14 PM

Been watching this thread, and finally decided to reply! My first tractor experience was on a Farmall "H". I was enamoured with the Ford "NAA". My favorite was probably the Farmall "Super MTA". It's hard to pick a favorite, as I loved them all (except the John Deere "unstyled B"). Had a lot of exposure to early diesels too! Fordson New Major, Fordson Dexta, Ford 641-D, Allis Chalmers WD45 Diesel. My own tractors have been all blue Fords, 4000D SOS, 3000G SOS (these 2 traded off) 5610D, 3910D, 5610-II D (I have the last 3 at present). The oldest would have to be my grandfather's Farmall Regular, which is still in the barn!

Edited by Shetland Sheepdog, 23 April 2012 - 09:17 PM.
Added info

#49 HWooldridge

HWooldridge

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:34 PM

My uncle had a small Allis Chalmers that I learned on. I do not know the model but it was about like a Farmall H. It was only about 20 hp and did not have a PTO - all the implements were traction type pull behind from the drawbar. I spent more than a few hours on that tractor plowing his 120 acres of orchards to keep the grass down. The next thing I got to play with was an old Cat D9, which was a lot of fun. My best friend's dad bought one on the cheap to dig stock tanks with and he let us drive it all over the place; that was a blast.

#50 timok

timok

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • LocationArdmore,OK

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:17 PM

First was a JD B Helping a friend threshing oats- 8 yo . Our first tractor was a Farmall H narrow front. Then came The Allis WC. Then the Oliver 60 (mom still has it,sad shape tho-motor stuck - head froze and broke is what it was parked for) , Then the Allis WD with the Freeman Loader (Only loader we ever had) Last on the farm '55 Farmall 400 (whitch I now own and use after shipping it from Iowa to Oklahoma). All these were drawbar tractors, never had a 3 point on the farm, I also have a '54 Allis Wd 45. I have since put a 3 point on the 400 and the WD45 had one when I bought it.
Great tread- This is history that is dissappearing before our very eyes. What will the new tractors look like in 50 years. I cant get this plastic stuff to last 50 monthes- Farm safe- later

#51 donald.kimball

donald.kimball

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • LocationPa.

Posted 20 May 2012 - 06:28 AM

IH 574

Attached Files

#52 DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:09 AM

Young me sitting on '67 IH 424 my grandfather bought new. In 2005 I restored it (needed it) and his old farm wagon. Still works on the farm.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Vol, JD3430, xl32 and 1 other like this

#53 whitmerlegacyfarm

whitmerlegacyfarm

• Members
  • 523 posts
  • LocationCentral Pennsylvania

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:13 PM

I don't have a lot tractors under my belt, i just recently got into Hay making being 26 years old. But when i was a young boy i was with my grandfather all summer long. My first tractor driving experience was with a John Deere 40 w/ the narrow front end. I would putt along w/ the trailer behind for my grandfather to throw the bushel of potatoes in the trailer. I now today am using it to ted and rake hay. I love the puffs of smoke and occasion smoke rings it throws out.

#54 tnwalkingred

tnwalkingred

Hay Master

• Members
  • 324 posts
  • LocationEagleville, TN

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:22 AM

I owned a 1970 International Scout.....toughest vehicle I ever owned......took it all over the hills and mountains of Tennessee. Even drove it down a 60 foot river embankment.....landed in a brush pile.....had it winched out and drove it home no worse for wear. Dangdest vehicle I ever owned.

Regards, Mike

MIke,

Were you a hell raiser in your younger years???? LOL. A sixty foot embankment sounds like a hell of ride!

#55 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15710 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:18 PM

MIke,

Were you a hell raiser in your younger years???? LOL. A sixty foot embankment sounds like a hell of ride!

No more than most.....I didn't say that the International Scout drove very well.....just was tough;)

Regards, Mike
  • IHCman likes this

#56 JD3430

JD3430

“Not a real farmer” farmer

• Members
  • 10999 posts
  • LocationBANANA REPUBLIC of America

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:44 PM

Buddy of mine had an old scout ragtop with a 191 4 banger in it. I had an old Toyota lancruiser with a 258 6 banger. We drove those things places people would dare drive a vehicle, crossed small rivers, etc. Scouts were tough.

#57 Circle Hay

Circle Hay

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:58 PM

JD4020. My uncle has one and it just purrs like a kitten. Its one tough old tractor.

#58 cowsrus

cowsrus

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:40 PM

My first tractor i bought when i moved from the city was a JD model A, i still have it, but it doesn't run anymore :( Used to bale hay and mow with it. Actually plowed up 20 Acres with it once and it took forever with a two bottom plow. Good old tractor.

#59 Mohntr

Mohntr

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:12 PM

Minneapolis Moline 445, loved that old tractor.

Mohntr

#60 blainalbin

blainalbin

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • LocationCaledonia, Ontario, Canada

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:51 AM

'68 Ford 3000 that my Dad bought when he moved to the farm that I now own. That thing has been worked hard and abused since then and is still going strong. It looks like hell but still only needs the block heater when it gets under 10 C. Love that tractor - but I have to admit I'm getting tired of the manual steering.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors