Favorite tractor when growing up - Page 2 - Tractor Talk - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community - Page 2

Photo

Favorite tractor when growing up

• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

#21 JD3430

JD3430

“Not a real farmer” farmer

• Members
  • 10999 posts
  • LocationBANANA REPUBLIC of America

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:13 PM

My favorites are the IH '88 4x4's with the DT466's in them.
I loved the last ones IH built in the early 80's with the Western cab interior. They were the first tractor with an "on board computer". The red & black paint job and the hood speaks to me

I'm gonna buy one someday, keep it shedded and never let anyone else run it. lol

Here's a nice 5488 about 200HP.

Attached Files

Edited by JD3430, 28 February 2013 - 07:17 AM.

• downtownjr likes this

#22 panhandle9400

panhandle9400

Hay Master

• Members
  • 821 posts
  • LocationNo Mans Land, OK.

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:56 PM

My favorite childhood tractor was my uncles MM 670 Super...used to disk and cultivate with that tractor for hours...and the best thing was he had a radio...listened to WLS...lol. After that my 4-H leader had a pair of old diesel powered Oliver Super 88s. Loved those old babies...used to roll them down the hill and pop the clutch to start them...lol. The things I did as a young kid. Favorite tractor I never operated but always wanted to drive when I was young and thought was cool as heck...those IH 1486s with the V-8...remember seeing one with a big chrome straight pipe...that would have been a fine ride in the field.:D

my dad bought a new 1468 v-8 in 1973 also had 1568 that time too. Had the 86 series too late70's and early 80's till the 88 's came out then they where a tractor from the past pull a 19 wheeled rake with a 5488 I bought new in 84. Every thing now is all green almost , exception to big square balers. I loved the old v-8 tractor then because it was our 1st real air conditioner had a few swamp coolers they didnt hold a candle to this, it was a either addict also even on warm days maybe the pump wasnt set right ? I would rather run the jd 4020 or 4440, now days all of those tractors are the little line compared to the 425 hp plus ones we run today. I guess my old fav would have to be a 85 jd 8850 I bought out of avon ill. in 89, its v-8 would scream and pull .
  • downtownjr likes this

#23 JD3430

JD3430

“Not a real farmer” farmer

• Members
  • 10999 posts
  • LocationBANANA REPUBLIC of America

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:57 PM

my dad bought a new 1468 v-8 in 1973 also had 1568 that time too. Had the 86 series too late70's and early 80's till the 88 's came out then they where a tractor from the past pull a 19 wheeled rake with a 5488 I bought new in 84. Every thing now is all green almost , exception to big square balers. I loved the old v-8 tractor then because it was our 1st real air conditioner had a few swamp coolers they didnt hold a candle to this, it was a either addict also even on warm days maybe the pump wasnt set right ? I would rather run the jd 4020 or 4440, now days all of those tractors are the little line compared to the 425 hp plus ones we run today. I guess my old fav would have to be a 85 jd 8850 I bought out of avon ill. in 89, its v-8 would scream and pull .

Wow, you had a 5488 cab? That's favorite tractor from the old times.

#24 haybaler101

haybaler101

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2192 posts
  • LocationCarlisle, Indiana

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:30 PM

Started out 5 years old pulling hay wagons with a 50 John Deere which we still have today and probably the best 2-cylander deere ever built. Got promoted from there to Farmall Super MTA on a 14 ft. disk. My dad and uncle had two of them, added another later and all three have M&W high torque cranks and pistons and dyno at 75 hp. We used to even run duals on them. By the time I was 10, I took the reins of our 1974 IH 1066 that dad bought new, (I am a '72 model) and I was the chief driver from then on. Spent every year until 2001 pulling a two-row field chopper and pulled a 3000 gallon liquid manure tank all winter. Plus it was our main field work tractor. Ran it for several years with a straight pipe until I was old enough to figure out that the constant ringing in my ears was caused by the screaming 414 turbo diesel. I have always bled red until I lost my IH 1486 to a fire and replace it with New Holland 8670 and suddenly my blood turned blue!

#25 barnrope

barnrope

Hay Master

• Members
  • 967 posts
  • LocationIowa/Minnesota border

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:52 AM

I started out on a John Deere GP. Drove lots of different two cylinders early on both unstyled and styled. Mastered hand starting those old ones early on. Also WD45 Allis's and a Super M Farmall. Still use most of the old ones ocasionally.
Posted Image
  • downtownjr likes this

#26 Hand&Hand Farms

Hand&Hand Farms

• Members
  • 133 posts
  • LocationHickory, MS

Posted 22 January 2012 - 03:18 PM

1973 David Brown 990. Was 9 years old and the first to bush hog with it. All orginal to this day. Still has orginal clutch in it. Loaded a load of hay with it this week. Needs hood if anyone has one.

#27 K WEST FARMS

K WEST FARMS

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 03:45 PM

Must be a lot older than most of you.......at least the tractor I remember is a lot older!! I believe it was a 48 Oliver 70....I know it was a 70 , not sure about the year. Had the 6 forward trans. The first tractor Dad had with what I thought was a better gear selection . Would not be of much use today but still would like to find a decent one. John

#28 downtownjr

downtownjr

downtownjr

• Members
  • 1560 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:41 PM

I know about those older ones..have some around...usually rake or ted with them. Rotating the older ones around keep them running a bit and tasting the farm tractor life a while longer. The H has a friend of my son's from college from Jamaica...his first time driving a tractor this Thanksgiving. He sure got a kick out of it.

Looking at the pics...a 52 Massey Harris, The Farmall H, an Oliver 66, and an International 560

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1807[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1809[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1810[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1806[/ATTACH]

#29 urednecku

urednecku

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1571 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:21 PM

I grew up on a green AO. Never ran just right, but remember the harder the pull, the better it ran. I guess I always will miss that POP-POP-POP.
Also enjoyed my Grandmothers Case, but can't remember the model. It was a 4 cylinder that started on gasoline, then switched to tractor fuel.

#30 aawhite

aawhite

• Members
  • 419 posts
  • LocationWest Central Kansas (Hays)

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:45 PM

Three come to mind: learned to rake on a JD 630 with a wide front. Our first "new" tractor was a 4440 with hyd. FWA. That tractor went 11,000 with never being touched, spent its whole time turned up to abour 175 hp. My favorite, thought was our 4320. Best tractor ever. Spent hours in the bunker silo packing silage.

#31 KCH

KCH

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:22 AM

Learned to drive when I was 8 on a John deere R pulling a 4 btm plow. Loved that one as well as a Allis chalmers WD45, but my all time favorite that we had was an International 1256. My dad had it turned up so at the end of the day the manifold was like cherrie red you ran it by the pyrometer.
  • JD3430 likes this

#32 cornshucker

cornshucker

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • Locationnorth central north carolina

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:12 AM

1961 MF 35 Diesel Deluxe my Grandfather had. Learned to drive on this tractor pulling tobacco slides from field to barn when I was 5 or 6 years old.learned to mow hay, rake hay, moldboard plow on this tractor. Dad bought it from his siblings and since Dad passed away I have it still pull a tedder and a rake with it, the finish mower and plow the garden and other chores . Now my son is starting to drive it so four generations have used it, 12,000 plus hours. Great memories of Granddad, Dad, and now my son on it. Also when we were kids we could hire out to pull (prime) tobacco leaves and my cousins dad had a JD 420 Putt-Putt I loved their sound as we would race each other out the row to get to pull up the tractor. A friend of mine turned the 420 over at the end of the field, my cousins Dad went and got the other tractor and turned it back over checked the oil and water and it fired back up, only damage was breaking off the steering wheel only leaving one spoke of the wheel to drive it by. He did not fix the steering wheel for about a month so we just drove it with the one spoke and a 420 don't turn easy anyway especially for 12 to 14 year old kids but we managed. Great memories, great equipment, great people. I am sure you all have some of these. Good thread

#33 rjmoses

rjmoses

Hay Master

• Members
  • 4907 posts
  • LocationNear St Louis

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:17 AM

Drove a Massey Ferguson first time when I was about 8, then my uncle got a John Deere Model 20(?) Loved that sound!

Ralph

#34 MorganT69

MorganT69

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:25 PM

The tractor I grew up on was an old Allis Chalmers D15 Series II, I use to sit in my grandfathers lap and drive it when I was 5 and at the age of 8 I was a full time tractor driver on it. I miss that old tractor.

#35 Mr. Brookville

Mr. Brookville

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:01 PM

Fun topic to read. Interesting to see the different ages represented by the tractor models.
My Favorite tractor was the 806. Biggest tractor in the neighborhood when it came to town in 1965. Really impressive pulling 5 -18's when neighbors were pulling 3 -16's with the big Green popper and the other neighbor was pulling 3-16's with his orange WD45. Plowing or disking or chopping corn at night would turn the muffler bright red. Probably why I wear hearing aids today. 1st time driving it by myself was disking at age 7.

I own a 64 806 today. It is my big tractor.

Mr. Brookville

#36 DSLinc1017

DSLinc1017

Hay Hoser

• Members
  • 995 posts
  • LocationChamplain Valley, Vermont

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:25 PM

Well, I would have to stick to my first love. A farmall B. Sorry folks the first are always the hardest to forget.

#37 52Trap

52Trap

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:44 PM

My favorite tractor is my dad's favorite tractor of all time as well the JD 4020. The jack of all trades tractors on our farm with thousands of hours and memories!

#38 Norseman

Norseman

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:22 PM

Massey Harris 44D Special Standard. Used to ride on it with Grandpa. There's just something about a tractor with wheatland fenders. :)

#39 Goatman

Goatman

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:40 PM

First tractor I ever drove was a IH 544 hydro with loader. That didn't last too long until dad got a 574 diesel with QA loader. That is one of my favorite utility tractors. Also grew up driving a restored John Deere H in parades with my grandpa. The tractor was bought new by my great grandpa in 1940 I believe. I absolutely love those old 2 cylinders!

#40 Pa_dirt

Pa_dirt

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:24 AM

My grandfather had a farmall 300 that was probably the first tractor I had ever driven, my fondest memory of it has to be the lack of braking that thing had. Another older tractor that I haven't seen mentioned in the thread is a JD 420,y neighbor had one and as a young boy it was always fun to drive. But then again as a young boy everything was fun to drive.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors