For you guys that have been doing this awhile? - Alfalfa/Hay - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community

Photo
- - - - -

For you guys that have been doing this awhile?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jd6400

jd6400

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 08:15 PM

Just wondering if any of you guys can remember a year that has been like this,(wet) with very few dry spells to make hay.3 yrs ago was probably the worst I can remember, but going over my records I was still ahead of this yr.I gambled today and mowed another 20 ac., said 30% for fri., now it`s 50%.Looks pretty bad for next wk. also. May not get into fields until July?

#2 Guest_Hoosier Hay Man_*

Guest_Hoosier Hay Man_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2008 - 08:26 PM

I have been having a heck of a time too. I had one field I thought of cutting today as the others are still to wet and I am trying my best not to track em up. I have done that before and it takes a while to recover. I seen 50% for Friday and Saturday and backed off for now. I will have some second cut alfalfa ready to cut next week and I still have 25 acres of first to go. I guess I will have to gamble and plan on having some hay get wet.

HHH

#3 OhioHay

OhioHay

Hay Master

• Members
  • 842 posts
  • LocationEast Central, Ohio

Posted 10 June 2008 - 09:47 PM

It has been a rough start this year. It seems like we are either mowing in a rain or baling with thunderstorms on the horizon. We are way behind and the orchard grass is maturing quickly. We did bale yesterday and the moisture was pretty good( 12 to 20 %). We also decided to chance some and mowed 22 acres today. We will give the tedder a work out to try and beat it dry. That is definately an advantage of grass hay mixes. We just haven't seen a window where we can really go at it. Just piecing some together here and there and not trying to risk to much with $200 a ton hay out of the field.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors