Introduce Yourself - Page 3 - Chit Chat/Intros - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community - Page 3

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Introduce Yourself

• Please log in to reply
410 replies to this topic

#41 haybine

haybine

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 11:29 PM

Hello everyone! Been involved in the horse industry for a long time (breeding and showing AQHA and APHA) but fairly new to the hay business. Been doing it part time for 5 years now and really enjoying it. After years of trouble dealing with different custom balers, We (wife and I) decided to buy our own equipment to take care of our 20 acres of bahia. We figured since we got this stuff, we might as well pick up a couple of fields to help pay for it. Things snowballed from there. Ended up doing a lot of custom baling and even picked up a couple of free lease fields. The next year we prepared our field and planted part of our property in seeded Bermuda (sungrazer777). And the following year planted the rest in Jiggs Bermuda. This year we dropped all but our two best customers we custom bale for and added a couple more free lease fields. Man, all of the sudden, we are really starting to make some money. Enough that we paid off the 5 year note on new tractor, cutter, baler, rake, and bought a bigger flatbed to haul hay with. Praise God!!!

So now, I havnt been on a horse in 2 years and dont miss it a bit but what I learned from that has helped in producing quality hay and being able to market it. We have more hay customers in our area than we can supply for. This has led us to begin planning on expanding our business.

Researching over the past few years has brought me to this site many times. Figured it was finally time to join up. Look forward to learning more from yall and sharing my experiences.

#42 hay king

hay king

• Members
  • 88 posts
  • Locationmission BC Canada (south west Fraser Valley)

Posted 14 February 2011 - 03:52 PM

Hi there all James is my name and i started doing 50 acres of custom work 5 years ago just by dumb luck. anyhow 5years later I now do over 250 acres and in silage and grass hay. most of the fields I do are free to me and I take the crop and sell it. last year I did around 8500 sm squares and 400 rounds. sold out by Christmas and am now looking to expand my land base to 350 acres to try to keep up with demand love the posts and Ill try to visit this site often

#43 NDVA HAYMAN

NDVA HAYMAN

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1996 posts
  • LocationCentral Virginia

Posted 15 February 2011 - 06:11 AM

Welcome Hay King. Great to have you on board. Good luck in the coming year. Mike

#44 dixietank

dixietank

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 01:03 PM

Just an old southern wrench puller who got back into hay to help out my dad and some neighbors. I worked the hayfields for years slinging squares when I was young and now I guess you could say I'm going back to my roots. Doing around 200 acres on shares, 50 of mine and 50 of my dads. I put up 4x5's to sell and now the custom cut requests are piling in. Tractor time has always been peaceful to me (until something breaks).

Edited by dixietank, 15 February 2011 - 01:04 PM.
typo

#45 customhaystacking

customhaystacking

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 01:39 AM

Hello, My name is Craig and I'm a full time Firefighter/Paramedic who married the farmers daughter 15 yrs ago. That's when I was introduced into the farming/haying operation. Over the years we have put in many hours helping with my in-law's 300 acres which is a combination of cattle and hay and most recently in corn. Three years ago I purchased a 1095 bale wagon and do custom haying/stacking to help make payments. I really enjoy farming, but it doesn't pay enough, so for now it is my side job. It's nice to meet everyone and thanks for this forum!

#46 downtownjr

downtownjr

downtownjr

• Members
  • 1560 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:51 AM

Welcome everyone, great folks on here and lots of experience in everything...glad to have you as part of our hay community.

Also be safe safe out there and will will see you on the boards!

#47 chetlenox

chetlenox

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:59 AM

Hey Craig, welcome to the board! Your post made me laugh, as I'm a non-farmer (Engineer) who also married a farmer's daughter (more or less). My little hay farm also helps supplement the "real" income, although at times I feel like it's more the other way around... when the equipment is breaking on a regular basis!

Just curious, where in Eastern Oregon do you live? I spent 8 years working in Oregon a while back and used to love to head to the Eastern side of the state for the sunshine, dry weather, and bird hunting. The Hell's Canyon and Steens Mtn areas are some of my favorite places...

Take care,

Chet.

#48 ArkHay

ArkHay

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:29 PM

Hello Everyone. This is my first post but I have been looking at this site for a while. You guys have no clue how much you have helped me over the past few years. I am pretty new to haying. I live in central Arkansas and I am in the process of converting a wheat farm to hybrid bermuda. I sprigged 32 acres last spring and plan on doing 60 this spring. My long term plan is to square bale this for the horse market. I also round bale a couple hundred acres for the local cow guys as well. I just wanted to say thanks for all the help and I hope to be able to contribute in the future.

#49 NDVA HAYMAN

NDVA HAYMAN

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1996 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:18 AM

Welcome Arkhay. Mike

#50 hayray

hayray

Hay Master

• Members
  • 543 posts
  • LocationSoutheast (Brighton), Michigan

Posted 18 March 2011 - 08:12 AM

I have been on the board now for a couple of years but never thought about introducing myself. I like this board alot and think this is great to reach out and BS with other hay producers, I feel so isolated in my own community as there just never seems to be many other producers to talk intellect to. My name is Ray Moses and I have had my own hay business since 1992. I bale around 350 acres of grass, alfalfa, and trefoil mix hays in small squares and 4x4 rounds. Most of my business is for the horse industry. I also lease another 200 acres of pasture land to run my cow herd on. As a ancillary business I have a conception to plate business of direct marketing my beef to local consumers. I also for the first 15 years out of college trained and showed dressage horses for years and also did some farrier work but now am way too busy in farming. In addition I teach concealed pistol training classes for Michigan's training requirements, it is a good way to make extra cash on the weekends at my farm.

#51 swmnhay

swmnhay

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 8622 posts
  • LocationReading,Mn

Posted 18 March 2011 - 09:11 AM

Welcome hayray,Yep Haytalk is a great site.

Does the pistol training help with bill collecting?LOL

Cy

Edited by swmnhay, 18 March 2011 - 09:27 AM.
sp

#52 Dolphin

Dolphin

Hey Man

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • LocationNortheastern Minnesota

Posted 18 March 2011 - 01:05 PM

It does when you ask for the check with the butt of a .45 sticking out from under your belt LOL

Good to know you better hayray, I always appreciate seeing your posts, and welcome to ArkHay, what took you so long to register? :)

#53 hayray

hayray

Hay Master

• Members
  • 543 posts
  • LocationSoutheast (Brighton), Michigan

Posted 18 March 2011 - 07:09 PM

Pretty funny. Took me so long to register beause I did not look that far down on the page.

#54 Shetland Sheepdog

Shetland Sheepdog

• Members
  • 1187 posts
  • LocationHollis, NH, USA

Posted 20 April 2011 - 08:12 PM

Hello from New Boston & Hollis, NH, USA. I am 72 years old, retired from electric utility linework, and still farming it! I live in New Boston and hay my share of the old family farm in Hollis, (around 20 acres). I sell feed hay to horse people and mulch to the DPW. I'm looking forward to learning new things and meeting new friends on this forum.
Dave

#55 NDVA HAYMAN

NDVA HAYMAN

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1996 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 08:03 PM

Welcome Dave. Great to have you on board. Mike

#56 4Gen

4Gen

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:38 PM

Hello all,

I am just shy of 30 and just smart enough to get into haying last year. Of all the years and with my family all row crop, I am obviously extremely grateful for all the info and stories on this site.

Currently my operation is too big to be called a hobby but I am still farming with money (other job) and not farming for money. Rest assured that I am not one of the hay prostitues on craigslist or such. I actually take a lot of pride when I end up on the higher end of auctions with the big boys (and possibly some of the members here)

Regardless I will try to get a post about my first field which will bring a lot of laughs for most of you. And Again I can not thank you all for the wealth of information in these forums.... Hopefully as the years go on, I might actually learn enough to post someful useful for you

#57 Nitram

Nitram

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1484 posts
  • LocationMarion Kansas

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:17 PM

HELLO! From the middle of Kansas. Sorry it took so long to find this portion of the site but I get caught up in all the info passed around ITS WONDERFULL! I am 49 last june and have grown up helping my Dad farm and raise cattle. I work 70 miles south in Wichita ks and raise calves here at my place. I also put up praire hay to feed. Soon I will be unemployed and am going to try loosing what money I have left Farming and Ranching. lol I want to thank all who have helped me already and those who will in the future. My Dad pasted away last Oct so you fellers gotta keep me from "doing what i want anyway"

#58 Hay3020

Hay3020

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:30 AM

Hello, im josh from Northern michigan and i do custom haying with my brother. Last year we put up about 300-400 round bales and 1500 square bales. Its not alot of hay but i makes the summers fun.

#59 K WEST FARMS

K WEST FARMS

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:48 PM

Hay3020 : Welcome Josh ! I put up less hay than you but find this board useful. You get the benefit of others experience and will hear of things that may work in your operation. Have a good hay year !! John

#60 LeadFarmer

LeadFarmer

Hay Master

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 10 May 2011 - 02:54 PM

Hello everyone, my name is Kellen. I was born and raised in the southwestern region of Arizona. I have lived on a farm my entire life (28 years), worked on it nearly as long, but have only recently taken an interest in actually farming. I have years of experience operating equipment, but i only have a little over a year under my belt as Farm manager.

Alfalfa comprises the majority of our acreage, even though it is down by about 50% this year due to the insane cotton market. We are currently farming 520 acres of Alfalfa for hay, we use two New Holland 3'x4' balers. We actually have yet to run them this year, as our first three cuttings were sold, in the windrow, to an export outfit.

We are also currently growing 500 acres of cotton, 140 acres of wheat and about 375 acres of assorted bermuda grass (Sultan, Sahara, 1012, Princess). We also grow/maintain a 3 acre nursery field of two types of grass that once cross pollinated become Princess grass.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors