Introduce Yourself - Page 21 - Chit Chat/Intros - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community - Page 21

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Introduce Yourself

• Please log in to reply
410 replies to this topic

#401 Ox76

Ox76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • Locationwest central MO

Posted 11 April 2020 - 01:21 PM

Welcome.  There is a huge amount of knowledge on here, I tell you what!

• IHCman likes this

#402 veriest1

veriest1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationCentral TeJas (Cleburne)

Posted 19 April 2020 - 10:56 AM

My name is Larry and I operate a small hay and stock farm here in Central Texas. We primarily sell small square bales, round bales, and cattle (in that order). I joined to learn and maybe even share some information.

• Vol likes this

#403 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 9912 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 19 April 2020 - 11:38 AM

Welcome to haytalk Larry....lots of folks here from the great state of TX.
  • veriest1 likes this

#404 1965RU

1965RU

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationNorfolk

Posted 19 September 2020 - 05:15 PM

Good evening,

My name is Todd and I’m finishing up the last 5 years in my Navy career.  When I finish I will have 30 years and a nice pension.  My wife and I would like to move to the New England area, probably New Hampshire, and buy our forever home.  I figure since I’m finally retiring, I’m going to do something I’ve always been interested in and try my hand at small scale farming.  I’m looking for around 30 acres and would like to use half of it to grow hay.  I’d like to learn as much as possible before hand so I set myself up for success.  I’m not looking to make a huge profit, maybe just cover fuel and maintenance costs of the equipment.  Any and all advice would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks!

• carcajou and somedevildawg like this

#405 FCF

FCF

• Members
  • 511 posts
  • LocationCampbellsville, Kentucky

Posted 19 September 2020 - 06:53 PM

Welcome to Haytalk Todd. With only a small acreage you are wise with your expectations. You have come to the right place for answers, be sure to read as much as you can of previous posts and ask about what you don't understand or can't find answers.

• somedevildawg likes this

#406 Shetland Sheepdog

Shetland Sheepdog

• Members
  • 1187 posts
  • LocationHollis, NH, USA

Posted 19 September 2020 - 08:34 PM

Welcome aboard Todd, here's a link for you!

https://www.farmsandbarns.com/

HTH, Dave

#407 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 4296 posts
  • LocationCoyote Flats,Texas

Posted 20 September 2020 - 07:48 AM

Todd

Welcome to HT & thank you for your 30 yrs of service helping defend my life & my families lives & our countries freedom!!
Jim

#408 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 9912 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 20 September 2020 - 05:54 PM

Thank you for your service Todd and welcome to Haytalk.....I just have to ask, why New Hampshire? Family? Climate? Seems available land is pricey up there, but I’m sure that’s not everywhere....maybe, hopefully?
  • Tx Jim likes this

#409 1965RU

1965RU

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationNorfolk

Posted 20 September 2020 - 07:24 PM

Thank you for your service Todd and welcome to Haytalk.....I just have to ask, why New Hampshire? Family? Climate? Seems available land is pricey up there, but I’m sure that’s not everywhere....maybe, hopefully?

You hit the nail on the head.  Both family and climate.  We are looking at other areas including Tennessee but haven’t totally locked in on anything yet.  Besides those two factors, I also have to look at which states offer the best retirement benefits for military.  The pension will be good, but a reduction nonetheless, so we have to do our best to maximize what we will have.  To that end, I have begun to accumulate equipment and thus far have gotten two JD 1010s, a 1963 and a 1965.  I have plenty of time so I’m hopeful a good deal as far as house & property will come along.

#410 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 9912 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 20 September 2020 - 09:08 PM

Good luck, it’s a great way to live life! God, Family, Country! If ya’ go to havin’ any questions....there’s a forum for that! (We try to be up with the times ;) )

#411 luke strawwalker

luke strawwalker

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2972 posts
  • LocationNeedville and Shiner, TX

Posted 23 September 2020 - 10:35 PM

Good morning to all. I grew up on small (very small) animal farm and wife on tobacco farm, many years ago! Mules were still used to some degree on both farms. Do enjoy farming greatly and do farm what is her family farm for the joy and to take care of it. Have worked to get it up to about 38 acres in cultivation and rest of the land here and on what is left of my families is in timber. 

For now near twenty years planted row crops some peanuts (for those who are blessed to like boiled peanuts and to know the cry in the tobacco warehouses of years ago) but really corn and soybeans. I have been looking at moving from row crop to hay for about twenty years with no background (unless you county loading with pitch fork onto mule pulled wagon) did not find the support needed. Blessed to have a very good friend who now with a few years experience and the necessary equipment to do all the cutting and baling have taken my first major step and had fifteen acres sprigged with Coastal Bermuda this March. Boy and I thought i was ready!

Finding weed problems did not know we had due to use of roundup ready crops, especially Johnson Grass.  My concerns at present are first controlling the Johnson Grass in three month old Coastal. Then storage for the hay.  After that will be hay equipment. My first hay equipment I think I need is a system to know where has been sprayed (no rows to count) and system to load the square bales.

Have read a good bit here and really do like Hay Talk. Have read many comments on Johnson Grass and also Guidance systems. Not firm on either of those two issues yet or hay grapple for square bales.

Pray you have a safe and blessed season.

Kenneth

PS: insurance is my full time business mainly in life, health but a few years experience in property insurance.  Not in any mode other than recommendation glad to help with any question. 

Best thing to control johnsongrass in bermuda-- three words-- SPIEDEL WEED WIPER.  Google it and get you one, use 33% Roundup solution in it run a foot above your bermuda.  Works great on a front end loader.  OL J R :) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors