Introduce Yourself - Page 2 - Chit Chat/Intros - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community - Page 2

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Introduce Yourself

• Please log in to reply
410 replies to this topic

#21 timok

timok

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • LocationArdmore,OK

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:41 AM

Howdy from the Rocking TJC Tim and Janet Chandler in Dickson OK . I run heavy equipment and Janet works at Walmart. Janet raises about 10 bottle calves a year with 4 nurse cows. I handle the hay needs. For fun we pleasure trail ride our 6 head of horses. I have a '76 Cobra II mustang that I've had for 28 years also a '74 Harley Electraglide highly modified
Take Care Tim

• Validating
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:34 AM

Hi! I see I never posted in this thread, so I'm making up for lost time. Greetings from Gallant Hope Farm in NW NJ. I'm Joanne. My partner Cliff and I only have 8 acres for hay, the rest of the farm is pasture for horses. He's a diesel mechanic (handy to have around the farm, that's for sure!) and former dairyman from PA. I'm a retired schoolteacher and a freelance writer. I've been having my hay custom cut for the past 12 years, but now I'm on my own and getting my hay legs pretty quickly! You guys were great about answering my novice questions when I had to do my second cutting by myself with only a day to learn the equipment.

Nice to meet you all!

#23 haymaker1956

haymaker1956

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 02:29 PM

just found this site a week ago. it'sagoodn'. we raise donkeys, goats and chickens here in west central north carolina. "real" free range eggs; no doors on the chicken houses. i own a small commercial construction company and my wife is a full time nurse. i bale fescue/orchard/clover mix on about 50 acres. it's a two "man' operation. me and my wife. dawn to dark every day. this was our family farm which my dad ran until he passed in '03. i moved back out and spruced it up a bit with some new machinary and added to the herds and flocks. hay is a tough business here due to the weather. last year was really tough. lots of rain with short windows to get it mowed-raked-baled. alot of hay was wasted for some folks. we got lucky and hit our first cut over memorial day. that was three long hard days. got in a second cut and managed to squeeze out a decent third. at the end of every season i wonder if i'm crazy. but, then comes winter and then spring. i've had all the equipment out and getting it ready to start again. and i can't wait... must be crazy.

#24 scrapiron

scrapiron

Hay Master

• Members
  • 244 posts
  • LocationNobleton Fl

Posted 30 March 2010 - 09:02 PM

Found this site several months ago and finally decided to register. There is a lot of good information here. We Lisa & Lindsay have a small 180 acre farm in WC Fl north of Brooksville. Lisa is the 5th gen of her family on this farm. We have a few cows & horses, grow some commercial vegs and getting into the commercial hay business,also have off farm jobs. We have as a family been bailing our own hay for over 40 years,just not good quality. We have sprigged, by hand,15ac of hyb bermuda grass in the last two years and will do another 15-20 ac this year with a goal of 80ac of bermuda and winter annuals[ mostly clover] of about 40 acres growing between the veg crop growing seasons.

scrapiron

#25 aussie

aussie

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 05:33 AM

G'day

Gary from Bathurst in NSW Australia, we do mostly Lucerne (Alfalfa) hay, and a bit of Oaten and Pasture hay depending on season.

We sell to horse (small squares) and sheep and cattle farmers (rounds and 3x3)

Signed on to see what I might learn from the other side of the world.

Cheers

#26 rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:38 PM

Hello Everyone.
This looks like a great site. I hope to learn a lot and help as much as I can.
I am from Colorado and have been doing custom hay since 2004. 80% small squares and 20% 5x6 rounds. About 75% is Alfalfa. When not farming I am Shooting, dirtbiking or wasting money on diesel race trucks lol. During the winter I sell hay and plow snow.
Robert

#27 ccellmer

ccellmer

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:26 AM

Hi, Cory here from Northwest KS. I'm 36 and started with 15 red angus cows in 2002 and growing from there. Now I'm up to 50 pair and growing to 100. My best friend/partner and I do the farm thing in our spare time which pretty much makes being busy all the time. Just last year bought tractor, baler (NH 7080 5' x 5' bales) and 1465 NH 16' swather. It's been interesting, but have just started to look for custom work to make payments on equipment, plus the bonus of being able to have all the bales I need for the herd. So far we have 540 acres that we can graze, but 160 of it we've just been putting up for hay as I'm still building the fence around it. Picked up about 500 acres of custom work this year on shares and looking to keep growing. Appreciate the site and I'm sure I'll have many novice questions. Thanks in advance to everyone who shares their knowledge.

#28 dbergh

dbergh

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Idaho

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:14 PM

Hi everyone,
I'm Dave from South West Idaho and I farm with my Dad and one of my sons. We raise row crop and 600 acres of alfalfa and orchard grass/ alfalfa blend. Most of the alfalfa goes to local dairies as green chop and 4x4 bales but we have been expanding into the horse hay market the last few years with the blend in small squares in an attempt to diversify our customer base a bit more. It has worked out well but does take a bit more time and effort than the diary hay does, but we enjoy it and our customers really seem to appreciate what we do for them .
I also believe that surviving in today's Ag world requires us to go out and market to the retail customer when possible in order to be profitable ( hence the horse hay business). We also run 15 to 20 pairs of cow/calf to eat our haying mistakes and to keep us busy during the winter and we sell steers as grass fed butcher beef locally.
This is a great site for a lot of good hay info.

Edited by dbergh, 06 June 2010 - 02:37 PM.

#29 Rae

Rae

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:08 PM

Hello all. o/

I'm so green at this that I would not even be able to guess how many acres we hay. I live somewhere in the general area near central North Dakota. I have just returned home to ranch with my mother and grandfather for awhile. I grew up on a farm (which my father and brother still run) that had various animals on and off, but cattle ranching and haying is something that I have no prior experience with. I likely won't be doing any haying myself, though that is a future possibility, but since I'm the IT department around here part of what I do includes researching things on the internet. I will probably doing a lot of reading (and have enjoyed listening to the podcasts so far), but every once in awhile I'll have a question or two.

Speaking of questions, I'd like to start by asking haymaker1956 how in the world he keeps the raccoons from getting his chickens!

#30 hayseed104

hayseed104

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationW.Va.

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:34 AM

Hi guys, nice to meet everyone. We have about 100 ac in central W.Va. just do hay for my daughter;s 3 horses. most is fenced in pasture. This site is awsome,everyone is so helpful, it's hard to find that these days.

#31 farmer0_1

farmer0_1

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 12:12 AM

just a small time fellow here . we have been on the family farm since 1919. wish grandpa could have bought more but am happy on the 40 acres we have. have done some custom haying in central oregon but thats been a few years back. raise alfalfa and timothy and teff some years. i am over 50 now and have been kicking bales around since i could roll them on there sides.

#32 JasonsHay

JasonsHay

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:58 AM

Hello Everyone-
I'm Jason from Western Indiana and am starting to raise a little hay for my horses and cattle instead of buying it. I really enjoy reading about and working with hay, so I am glad this website exists. I'm a novice at hay making, but am excited to learn how to make quality forages for my livestock. I've made a post in the Alfalfa forum and am looking for some feedback. Nice to read about everyone and I look forward to hearing from y'all.

#33 RoyBob

RoyBob

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:50 AM

Hello All from South Houston New to this Hay Cutting and Square bale any help would be great We have 10 Acres and will be useing what we cut and Selling to Our Neighbors I can fix anything Most of the time so looking for Used Equipment Rake/Tractor/Square Baler-/Cutter
Thanks Again RoyBob

#34 NDVA HAYMAN

NDVA HAYMAN

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1996 posts
  • LocationCentral Virginia

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:28 PM

Welcome Guys, Glad you decided to join the group. Everyone is great on this site and will help you whenever they can. Mike

#35 STRAWBOSS

STRAWBOSS

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 05:24 AM

Hello Fellas from Middle Georgia!! We cut around 500 acres of coastal bermuda and custom bale around 10k of wheat straw rounds. I'm a 5th gen farmer and am kinda fair with a square baler. I'm looking to install some irrigation asap.
William

#36 BCFENCE

BCFENCE

Hay Master

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 05:48 PM

Hello Fellas from Middle Georgia!! We cut around 500 acres of coastal bermuda and custom bale around 10k of wheat straw rounds. I'm a 5th gen farmer and am kinda fair with a square baler. I'm looking to install some irrigation asap.
William

Welcome gald to have ya.

#37 heytalk

heytalk

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 11:44 PM

Looking to farm some hay for 2011.

Located in Davis, CA.

Hoping to make a few friends and learn about haying.

Thanks,

Heytalk

#38 cestes1abac

cestes1abac

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 08:24 PM

Hey everyone, my name is Chris Estes. I am a student at Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College in Tifton, Georgia. I am a junior in one of the first four year degrees that is offered at ABAC, which is Diversified Agriculture. I work at a private field research facility in Chula, Georgia. The reason i joined this forum is because i wanted to learn a little more about the hay market because i would like to next semester start my own business being a hay broker. I know that there are many bad things that people say about hay brokers, but hopefully i can be a good one and be honest with people. If anyone has any advice or anything about being or not being a hay broker id like to know. Thanks, Chris

#39 Dill

Dill

• Members
  • 756 posts
  • LocationNH

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:42 AM

Howdy. Doing lots of searching for equipment upgrades, I kept getting sent here, so figured I might as well start posting.
Growing up my father ran a decent size custom operation (for New Hampshire) and still does. I started my own operation 2 years ago, and for 2 part time gigs we do alright. Our fields are tiny compared to other parts of the country, but we have plenty of customers in the area with horses. This year I did 3k small squares and 300 4x4 rounds. My Father is right around 10k squares and 200 rounds, half silage, half dry. Combined we do about 300 acres of rented ground. Mostly grass mix, last year we did 5 acres of oats, and next season hoping to try 10 acres of barley for straw. Also have 20 or so dairy beef. Not sure if there is a section for machinery listings, but we have a pretty good supply. My real job is farm insurance so hopefully I can add something useful to the forum.
Thanks

Forgot to mention, also have a handful of pigs, and run a 400 tap maple operation.

Edited by Dill, 05 November 2010 - 10:44 AM.

#40 downtownjr

downtownjr

downtownjr

• Members
  • 1560 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 01:16 PM

Welcome Everyone,

Glad to have you on the boards. Feel free to use market place, and post answers and questions. It is great to have all the experience and growers from different regions. Take care and be safe out there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors