• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DDobbs

DDobbs

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:03 PM

I am going to go pick up a NH488 for my son. How easy is the tongue to remove?
Would like to haul it on my 22' tilt deck
Trailer
Thanks
Dave
  • DDobbs likes this

#2 vhaby

vhaby

Hay Master

• Members
  • 865 posts
  • LocationNE of Tyler, TX

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:27 PM

I have a NH 488 that I purchased used about 80 miles from here and towed it home behind our F 150 mostly on two lane highways, Probably made many drivers furious, but tried to tow it without it crossing the center stripe and moved farther to the right to allow passing whenever 3 or 4 cars grouped up behind it. Didn't take out any mailboxes in the process. So, can't answer your question about removal of the tongue, but that is a good idea, and should be much safer. Try checking with a NH dealership on how to prep the 488 for hauling.

Another question will be how will you chain it for hoisting onto the trailer without damaging the reel, knives, and back windrow spreader? Will have to be from each side, possibly from axles and then you will need a tie onto the reel of somewhere else to keep it upright when lifting? May even need to lift using two front loader tractors lifting in sync. Good luck.

• Vol and Greasy30 like this

#3 mike10

mike10

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationSouthern Indiana

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:28 PM

Remove the shield over the tipping bearing at the front of the drive shaft. Remove the cross pin from the tipping bearing yoke and remove the pto shaft. Put blocks under the support the tongue goes into. Lower the jack until the weight of the support is on the blocks. Remove the 3/4" bolt and remove the tongue.

It has been 30 years since I lifted a machine, but I think we put a chain around the gearbox output shaft, feeding the chain through one of openings above the roller drive chains. The other end of the chain we fastened to the top stabilizer bar on the right side. The bar is the flat bar in between the springs. The machine is surprisingly balanced.

The one thing you need to do is bolt the head to the axle. At the bottom of the spring mounts is a flat plate with either a hole or slot. The axel right below this hole also has a hole with a nut welded in the frame. Install a 1/2" bolt into each side. Do this before removing the tongue. The machine needs to be raised to install the bolts and even then you may need to push the head down against the axle to over come the spring tension. After the head is bolt, then you can lower the machine and remove the tongue. Bolting the head will keep the head and axle as a single unit instead of two independent frame bouncing around because of the springs.

#4 DDobbs

DDobbs

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:21 PM

Towing it is not a real option. I have to go through St Louis. Wish I could.

On the transport bolts any idea how long they are?
Thanks for the replies
Dave

#5 mike10

mike10

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationSouthern Indiana

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:55 PM

I think they are 1 3/4" long with some heavy washers. That is the way they are shipped from the factory.

#6 DDobbs

DDobbs

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:16 PM

Mike
Thanks again

Dave

#7 DDobbs

DDobbs

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 20 June 2017 - 05:19 PM

Picked it up with skid steer & loader tractor worked out super nice.
Tongue was pretty easy to remove.

Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors