9 replies to this topic

#1 JD3430

JD3430

Haytalk "Trump deplorable" club member #1

• Members
  • 8,505 posts
  • LocationPA & DE

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:27 PM

I need to crimp a new loop fitting on this cable. I'd also like to learn how to make cables with eyelet ends on them from my toolboxes.
Where do I buy the eyelets like the one pictured below? Lowes/HD don't have the ends, just the cable.
Where's a good online source?

Attached Files

#2 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:32 PM

Is that 1/8 inch cable and what size eyelets are you looking for?

Larry 

#3 JD3430

JD3430

• Members
  • 8,505 posts
  • LocationPA & DE

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:42 PM

I'm almost positive it's 3/32" need a crimp on eyelet for a 1/2" bolt on that cable. Needs to be fairly heavy duty
I also need eyelets for thinner, lighter cable.
I was thinking maybe someone sold an assortment of eyelets?

#4 mlappin

mlappin

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 9,585 posts
  • LocationNorth Liberty, Northern Indiana

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:45 PM

Is this for electrical? If so I just goto my local hardware store and buy em there, most of the time with the welding supplies, sometimes in the electrical section depending on how heavy you’re looking for. McMaster Carr is also a good source online.

#5 JD3430

JD3430

• Members
  • 8,505 posts
  • LocationPA & DE

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:56 PM

Heavy, like cables for flip down toolbox lids
The one in the picture is for a tractor hood
  • JD3430 likes this

#6 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:48 AM

Is this for electrical? If so I just goto my local hardware store and buy em there, most of the time with the welding supplies, sometimes in the electrical section depending on how heavy you’re looking for. McMaster Carr is also a good source online.

This is what I thought of when I seen the first picture, just was uncertain to the size.  Home Depot/Lowes, etc. electric dept.  Just be a matter of how tight you crimp them.

Larry

#7 JD3430

JD3430

• Members
  • 8,505 posts
  • LocationPA & DE

Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:45 PM

Theres no way the electrical ones will work. It needs like an inch of crimping. It's pretty thick galvanized metal. The cable is 3/32 aircraft cable. Its not an electrical wire. 

#8 Ranger518

Ranger518

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:44 PM

I looked for some a few years ago and really could not find anything other than aircraft rated ones and they were really expensive. So i ended up using electrical ones and they do work pretty well but you need to get the steel rings not the tin, copper or Aluminum and they are verry hard to crimp on wirhout a hydraulic crimper. I also tried to just make a loop In the wire and put a high tensel fence crimp on it but it make it kind hard to bolt it on.
  • JD3430 and glasswrongsize like this

#9 The saint

The saint

• Members
  • 51 posts
  • LocationSouth central Oregon

Posted 21 June 2017 - 10:02 PM

So the crimp is not to strong but if you get an end which is larger than the wire by double or a bit more you can run the cable through and then back around the crimp tube and back through. Looks a little ugly but much stronger than just a crimp.
  • r82230 likes this

#10 mlappin

mlappin

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 9,585 posts
  • LocationNorth Liberty, Northern Indiana

Posted 21 June 2017 - 10:22 PM

I looked for some a few years ago and really could not find anything other than aircraft rated ones and they were really expensive. So i ended up using electrical ones and they do work pretty well but you need to get the steel rings not the tin, copper or Aluminum and they are verry hard to crimp on wirhout a hydraulic crimper. I also tried to just make a loop In the wire and put a high tensel fence crimp on it but it make it kind hard to bolt it on.

I imagine the crimper I use on battery cable ends would crimp em. Place the end in the crimper, place the crimper on the anvil and smack the crap out of it with a three pound maul. 

Now I know what you’re talking about, they are hard to find the right end and are expensive. We’ve threatened to buy our own ends and get stainless steel cable for the wings on our spray boom, especially after the ones from the manufacturer got a size smaller than the originals on the cable and the ends are lighter as well.

• luke strawwalker likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors