• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tomharmon

tomharmon

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • LocationVa.

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:07 AM

I got a pasture that I usually cut once for hay, but don't need it for hay this year. Planning to bushhog,( thick fescue) but wondering if I could mow it instead and leave it on the ground. Don't need it for grazing till the fall.Any drawbacks to doing it this way?

#2 MrLuggs

MrLuggs

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:18 AM

Brushhog will generally chop/mulch it up a bit more, letting it break down quickly and the grass to grow up through it easily. If it's really thick, and you mow it with a haybine, you run the risk of smothering the grass under the windrow.

• mlappin, hillside hay and IH 1586 like this

#3 8350HiTech

8350HiTech

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3,799 posts
  • LocationOrrstown, PA

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:26 AM

If you're going to mow it, might as well bale it. Otherwise mulch it as best you can with your brush hog, presumably with a high cutting height.
  • hillside hay likes this

#4 Hayman1

Hayman1

Premium Horse Hay Producer

• Members
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationMillwood VA

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:41 AM

I would let it go to seed which it is already working on in Va, then as Hitech says, bushhog it high, then I would do it again in a couple of weeks a little lower.  

#5 BWfarms

BWfarms

• Members
  • 600 posts
  • LocationGod's Country, North Carolina

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:17 AM

I have 3 pastures that I'm letting the grass grow until seed drops. Then I will take my Bush Hog and clip it about 10-12" and another round later after cows have grazed some. I do this in late afternoon into the evening and before a good rain in forecast.
  • hillside hay likes this

#6 hillside hay

hillside hay

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1,006 posts
  • Locationbroome cty NY

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:32 AM

I agree

#7 mlappin

mlappin

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 9,585 posts
  • LocationNorth Liberty, Northern Indiana

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:35 PM

If you have the storage, make it anyways, can always sell it this winter or sit on it in case of drought. Won’t make as good as hay, but you could wait till it goes to seed, then make it for hay and get some reseeding at the same time.

• woodland likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors