9 replies to this topic

#1 Rman88

Rman88

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationWestern PA

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:09 PM

Hello,

We've owned a NH 7060 Silage Special for a couple years now (and had a NH 644 for several years before that), and I'm thinking about installing an expeller roll.  I ended up buying the kit from the dealer, but after reading through the included directions I still have a few questions.

1. The kit came with the roller, a scraper, and a pair of shields.  The diagrams shown in the directions do not correspond to the shape and location of holes on the tailgate on my 7060.  It seems like the only way to install the roller would be without the two shields.  Is that correct?

2. Assuming I disregard the shields, there is a pair of holes behind the nose roller that seem to perfectly fit the expeller roll.  Should I be using the upper or lower holes?  Does it matter which ones? Are these even the correct holes?

3. The included directions say that I may have to "cut an inch off" of the angle iron that serves as a bracket to the nose roll scraper, but it doesn't say which balers this is required for.  Does anyone know if this is required on the 7060?  My initial inspection leads me to believe yes.

4. What is the scraper that came in the kit for?  The directions seem to imply that it's simply a replacement for the nose roll scraper.

5. The directions very briefly mention that "the expeller roll may need to be removed for wet hay."  What's the reasoning behind this?  How wet of hay can it tolerate?  What can happen if I don't remove it?  We do a lot of silage bales, so any detail you can give here is very helpful.

6. Any other experience or opinion on NH expeller rolls is much appreciated.

Thanks!

(Let me know if you need pictures of anything I'm describing and I can try to get them for you.)

#2 Gearclash

Gearclash

Hay Master (Supposedly)

• Members
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationSioux County, NWIA

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:46 PM

Attached File  IMG_0059.JPG   114.99KB   0 downloads

This is a 5x6 baler and upside down of course but should be the same.  I put the shields on the wrong way but it makes no difference.

The directions for the nose roll scraper are confusing at best.  mike10 says remove the original scraper and use only the scraper that comes in the kit.  Lower the bracket it mounts to till it just clears the belts.  By far the best way to arrange things.  I'm sure the note about wet hay has to do with the fact that wet hay might in some conditions wrap on the expeller roll.  Stray net wrap will wrap on the expeller roll, so I would keep an eye on that situation.

• somedevildawg likes this

#3 mlappin

mlappin

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationNorth Liberty, Northern Indiana

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:44 PM

I had one on my 644, haven’t the need for it on my 740A yet.

#4 endrow

endrow

• Members
  • 2,444 posts
  • Locationcentral pa

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:06 AM

What is the exact problem one has that would lead them to install the expeller roll

#5 mike10

mike10

• Members
  • 1,316 posts
  • LocationSouthern Indiana

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:45 AM

You have found the two vertical holes. There should be a hole on each side of the vertical holes to mount the shields. Those holes are about 3 3/4" on each side of the lower vertical hole.

The expeller roll mounts in the lower hole as shown in the photo.

The nose roll scraper assy consists of two or three parts depending on the age of the baler. All balers have the scraper support which is bolted to the sides of the baler. Those bolts are what is showing in your instructions. Early balers had an angle scraper along with a flat scraper bolted to the top of the support. At some point only the angled scraper was used and the last balers only had the flat scraper which is what came in your kit. If you have the angled scraper just remove it and only use the flat scraper. If you do not want to remove the angled scraper then you need to take an inch off the long side so it will clear the expeller roll. There really is no reason to remove the scraper support from the baler, just unbolt the row of bolts holding the scraper(s) to the support. To adjust the scraper(s) they will need to be loosened anyway. The only reason to use the scraper in the kit is if there was no flat scraper or if the scraper was worn excessively which you will not find.

Why remove the roll? I can only think of wet hay wrapping on the roll.
  • Tim/South likes this

#6 Rman88

Rman88

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationWestern PA

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:29 AM

Hi everyone, thanks for all your insights.

The tailgate on our 7060 doesn't correspond exactly to the picture shown in Gearclash's post--see the images I've attached to this reply. 

That said, it doesn't seem to have the holes adjacent to the vertical holes as Mike10 described; is it possible that they sent us the wrong kit?  It said in the installation instructions that it should be compatible with a 7060.

Also, it looks like we have the flat scraper, which is then mounted on an angle support?  Is this assessment correct?

mabWUDf.jpgqFdU1TJ.jpgfYdJ9Av.jpg

#7 mike10

mike10

• Members
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:55 AM

In your case, you would not use the shields since the roll, or I should say, you are protected from the roll by the tailgate side sheet which extends down farther than on other models.  I just do not see enough 4 ft balers to remember how each is set up.

It may be the photo, but it looks like it also has the angled scraper under the flat scraper.  If it only has the support under the flat scraper then the support will only extend down from the flat scraper about an inch.

The expeller roll is meant for dry hay, for silage hay you may have a problem with the roll wrapping.  In wet hay there is not much accumulation on top of the belts generally.

#8 Rman88

Rman88

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationWestern PA

Posted 20 May 2017 - 11:32 PM

Hi Mike,

That makes sense with what you're saying about the shields, thank you.

Just to help clarify your points, I got a couple more pictures of the scrapers in our machine.  It sounds like we could have three possible things:
1) Support with angle scraper and flat scraper

2) Support with angle scraper only

3) Support with flat scraper only

Which one do we have?  Is it #3?  (The "support" is the piece of angle iron on which the scraper is mounted, correct?)WlIyFIP.jpgc4HKbWF.jpg

#9 mike10

mike10

• Members
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:31 AM

You have #1, flat scraper is the top plate shown, angle scraper which is below the top plate and the support itself which can not be seen.  You will need to shoreten the long leg of the angle scraper, as in the instructions, so it clears the expeller roll. 

• Tim/South likes this

#10 Rman88

Rman88

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationWestern PA

Posted 21 May 2017 - 08:12 AM

Very good.  Thanks so much for all your advice and insight.  I'll keep you all posted on how things work out.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Round Baler, New Holland, Expeller, 7060

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors