Hay & Forage Forum banner

Bale Spear

6K views 25 replies 20 participants last post by  fball1208 
#1 ·
Looking for a quick attach bale spear to put on a kioti tractor that it has quick connect bucket. any suggestions on brand and where to find one at a decent price?

#3 ·
Shoot they are all over it seems, at least in Denton, NC. I have stuff from CID and Loflin. Loflin makes stuff for competitors and a lot of guys have factory rejects they resale at discounts (not necessarily anything wrong with them).

My bale spear is a CID, has replaceable long spear and 2 short stabilizer spears. I want to say I paid $250.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Horning's attachments is in Mifflinburg, PA. Phone is (570) 966-1025. They manufacture them there but also sell them direct.

I have a lightly used one that I will sell for $425. It's always been stored indoors, some paint is worn off the spears but otherwise it still looks like new. If you don't need it until spring, I may be able to deliver for no charge as I will be driving to Ohio at some point.

#6 ·
Google away there are all sorts of them but some are good and some are junk.I got one for a replacment and it broke on the first bale
I've been getting replacement spears from Washburn Supply in MO. The 48" Big Bertha spear is about $100, haven't snapped one just by moving a bale, but on Christmas Eve night I snapped another one trying to be lazy and trying to spear some bale plastic while on the move. The Aground was hard and the speed was great....

#8 ·
Reactions: IHCman
#9 ·
Does anyone need a big long spear? I have just the spear (no frame ) in my shop from when I had a 5.5 ft wide baler...I don't need it anymore with a 4 ft wide baler..Its got the taper shank with the nut on the back like the one shown on the bottom of the page below...

http://cropcareequipment.com/haytools_foammarkers/bale-movers.php

I would like to find it a new home...
I use that length spear with 4' bales regularly. Doesn't get annoying until I buy some 3x3s.

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
Both of mine have the German built spears and I have had no problems (IDK manufacture of the frame off the top of my head). Seems like I paid $350-$375 couple of years ago. I gave up on repairing another spear, just gave it away to the local Boy Scout camp for a welding project.

Larry

PS didn't like my abbreviation for the Boy Scouts, sorry

#11 ·
Im going to go a little off the reservation here and suggest you look for a local welding/fabricating shop.

I have an excellent ag/contractor Amish welding shop that builds top notch attachments cheaper than most of the junk you see on line from China.

They built both my dual bale spears and the removable mesh backing for my 8' material bucket so I can load mushroom mulch faster.

Couldnt be happier.

I have a single bale spear I bought from an Ag store and its falling apart.

#12 ·
Im going to go a little off the reservation here and suggest you look for a local welding/fabricating shop.

I have an excellent ag/contractor Amish welding shop that builds top notch attachments cheaper than most of the junk you see on line from China.
I agree. Most of the time you can get one built locally and save some coins.

I built both of mine. The one for the tractor was $75 for the pre cut metal, $100 for the spear.

I built one for the skid steer with an extension so I could reach across a gooseneck trailer. $200 for the metal cut to specs, $100 for the spear.

#16 ·
I've built all my own frames and have been using genuine german Shw spears with good sucess. I used to break spears in the winter frequently, but since switching to shw I haven't broken another (and just the other day I used my double spear to jab into the ground and push a 100hp mfwd tractor backwards to get unstuck).

#17 ·
Hey I appreciate this information as well. I was going to fabricate one up myself for my bulldozer.

Hey you guys know me, why use a tractor when I can put my bulldozer to good use moving hay? I will say, it doesn't even know anythings in front of it, and never gets stuck. :)

#18 ·
Hey I appreciate this information as well. I was going to fabricate one up myself for my bulldozer.

Hey you guys know me, why use a tractor when I can put my bulldozer to good use moving hay? I will say, it doesn't even know anythings in front of it, and never gets stuck. :)
Frozen tracks...all I gotta say...been there...

#21 ·
Shoot they are all over it seems, at least in Denton, NC. I have stuff from CID and Loflin. Loflin makes stuff for competitors and a lot of guys have factory rejects they resale at discounts (not necessarily anything wrong with them).

My bale spear is a CID, has replaceable long spear and 2 short stabilizer spears. I want to say I paid $250.
Yea they're all over the Denton area. What I was told most of these guys worked together at one time and they fell out with each other and went into business for themselves. There's like 4 CID attachments here, very well made stuff.

http://cidattachments.com/

http://www.loflinfabrication.com/

http://www.msattachments.com/

http://www.rootgrapple.com/

https://www.attachmentdeals.com/

#22 ·
Froze a D6 to the ground just once. After that found better parking spots, on a couple logs, stumps, etc..
I grew up on bulldozers so I was always taught what to do in that respect. I typically back over a log on my back of my tracks, then lift the front of the dozer with the blade to get the tracks off the ground. Incidentally with blocking on the back hitch, you can get a dozer several feet of the ground using this method. That is handy when you need to work on the tracks or split them.

Having to shovel out the snow/mud/snirt (that is snow/dirt) is part of the deal from October to May too.

I would like to say I never got a dozer stuck, but I have far too many times. Sure glad my bride (literally) was around for the last dozer stuck as without the Kubota I would have never walked that 850 John Deere out of there. :)

Attachments

#24 ·
I grew up on bulldozers so I was always taught what to do in that respect. I typically back over a log on my back of my tracks, then lift the front of the dozer with the blade to get the tracks off the ground. Incidentally with blocking on the back hitch, you can get a dozer several feet of the ground using this method. That is handy when you need to work on the tracks or split them.

Having to shovel out the snow/mud/snirt (that is snow/dirt) is part of the deal from October to May too.

I would like to say I never got a dozer stuck, but I have far too many times. Sure glad my bride (literally) was around for the last dozer stuck as without the Kubota I would have never walked that 850 John Deere out of there. :)
I find it interesting that you mention snirt. Dad always tells me about the snirt storm ND had in the 70s. Wasn't much snow that hear and everyone had fallow land that was worked black. A brutal storm with lots of wind came up and caused the dirt to mix with what little snow there was a blow so bad there was zero visibility. Stories of cattle that broke out and walked with the wind for miles till they dropped dead from either exhaustion or froze to death.

#25 ·
Around here snirt is a snowmobiling term, only because towards the end of snowmobile season, when the sun comes out it melts in the sunny spots on the trail and mixes with dirt. You can still go because it is not everywhere and a sled can travel over bare earth quite a ways before fouling the skegs and slides. A conversation might go like this.

"How were the trails?"

"Not great, we went to Jackman but there was a lot of snirt out there."

I get a lot of snirt on my logging trails too. When cutting firewood snirt is okay, but mud isn't, unless you don't want another firewood customer next year.

Reactions: Vol
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.