Hay & Forage Forum banner

Tier 4 emmissions

2K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Teslan 
#1 ·
I've been looking at brochures and online specs for various equipment the last month or so. Mostly Skid Steers and now compact articulating loaders. Why do manufacturers like to point out what Tier the emissions are? This is on the ag equipment also. To me I don't see that as a benefit. I see it more as the manufacturers problem to have to meet the Tier requirements and that it isn't any added benefit to me. Fuel savings remains to be seen on this new equipment. I guess maybe if you are a greeny and think that this will save the environment one tractor at a time this could be a benefit. But I don't know really any farmers that think that way.

#2 ·
I'd bet it goes back to that old saying: "I don't care what the newspapers say about me as long as they spell my name right."

There is a trend in advertising that you sell your faults/problems/etc. as a benefit. E.g., "We've only had 500,000 recalls and everyone of them has been taken care of satisfactorily!" (I read something like this a while back--500,000 recalls???!!!???)

Ralph

#5 ·
If I were to be looking for a late model tractor or skid steer I would want a Tier3 emissions....which are very much in demand now....as reflected by current pricing for many. Manufacturers like to put a positive spin on a actual negative as a large segment of purchasers will believe whatever is spun....especially when hyped as a benefit. Of course some folks think that we are actually benefitting from tier4 emissions.....and we probably are environmentally.....albeit microscopically.....and at a exponential cost. Common sense will tell a person that the current tier4 emission systems will not be a long term fix. It will evolve.....and hopefully soon for everyone.

Regards, Mike

#6 ·
In the end the customer is going to pay for all of the research and development costs plus the added cost of the extra parts that you add to the engine to make it compliant. I remember back in the eighties when they started screwing with gasoline engines big time I thought well at least they cannot screw a diesel up but as you see I was 100% wrong.

#9 ·
Your profile says sometimes real estate agent. If you sell a tiny house do you say it is extremely small and space is limited? Or do you call it "cozy"?
I call them space challenged.

Reactions: deadmoose
#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
Somehow, I think selling tractors and real estate have parallels....
All that I know is it's a lot easier for someone to get financing on a $100,000 tractor then a $100,000 house. No matter how space challenged each might be.

#14 ·
Speaking of advertising, I went to a farm show a few weeks ago and saw a new chopper with "axial flow" written on the side, advertising apparently the "latest and greatest". I turned to the farmer next to me and said, "Any idea what axial flow means?" He didn't know. Guessed maybe it had to do with hydraulics? So later I happened to sit by a dealer salesman for that brand and said, "Hey, can you explain axial flow to me - I see it was written on the new choppers." And he had no idea, either. His guess was either hydraulics or the way the crop fed through the chambers.

Pretty funny when you think about it. This equipment company totally missed with their marketing strategy. Totally.

#15 ·
Speaking of advertising, I went to a farm show a few weeks ago and saw a new chopper with "axial flow" written on the side, advertising apparently the "latest and greatest". I turned to the farmer next to me and said, "Any idea what axial flow means?" He didn't know. Guessed maybe it had to do with hydraulics? So later I happened to sit by a dealer salesman for that brand and said, "Hey, can you explain axial flow to me - I see it was written on the new choppers." And he had no idea, either. His guess was either hydraulics or the way the crop fed through the chambers. Pretty funny when you think about it. This equipment company totally missed with their marketing strategy. Totally.
I've found that nearly half of all equipment sales people don't really know about the equipment they are selling. They rarely run the equipment themselves.

Reactions: gradyjohn
#16 ·
Speaking of advertising, I went to a farm show a few weeks ago and saw a new chopper with "axial flow" written on the side, advertising apparently the "latest and greatest". I turned to the farmer next to me and said, "Any idea what axial flow means?" He didn't know. Guessed maybe it had to do with hydraulics? So later I happened to sit by a dealer salesman for that brand and said, "Hey, can you explain axial flow to me - I see it was written on the new choppers." And he had no idea, either. His guess was either hydraulics or the way the crop fed through the chambers. Pretty funny when you think about it. This equipment company totally missed with their marketing strategy. Totally.
Axial flow is not really all that new. IH marketed it in the late '70s and NH in the 80's. It basically uses augers to move the material thru the machine instead of shakers.
http://toytractorshow.com/ih_combine_history.htm

#18 ·
All that I know is it's a lot easier for someone to get financing on a $100,000 tractor then a $100,000 house. No matter how space challenged each might be.
That depends on what, where and how. I see some, what I consider marginal buyers buying homes all the time.

The gummit is dying to give you a mortgage..... :D

me, I'd rather have real estate than a tractor anyday. Tractor's depreciate. Real estate appreciates.

#19 ·
That depends on what, where and how. I see some, what I consider marginal buyers buying homes all the time.

The gummit is dying to give you a mortgage..... :D

me, I'd rather have real estate than a tractor anyday. Tractor's depreciate. Real estate appreciates.
I mean the process to get a loan on a tractor/equipment vs a house is much much easier and cheaper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.