Hay & Forage Forum banner

6400 john deere hydraulics overheating

19K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  somedevildawg 
#1 ·
My 6400 John Deere hydraulics started overheating last summer when driving tractor down road from one field to the next. After the firtst time it overheated it overheats when cutting hay or moving. Its really hot when you get out of cab and check you can feel the heat coming off of PTO housing. Its full of oil and I changed hyd. oil at first of season. Any help?

#6 ·
I replaced the cooler at the first of the season it was built in to the air cond. condensor that I replaced because of a broken fitting. I also changed both filters at the same time as the oil change.Do you think its possible the filters needed changed again it probably only had 200 hours since I changed them.

#7 ·
I replaced the cooler at the first of the season it was built in to the air cond. condensor that I replaced because of a broken fitting. I also changed both filters at the same time as the oil change.Do you think its possible the filters needed changed again it probably only had 200 hours since I changed them.
I doubt that but it's possible I suppose...I would look elsewhere however...

#12 ·
May be a rear brake failure, pull off your filters and cut them open and have a look. It will point you in the right direction.
Neighbors Case did something similar, caused all kinds of problems as some of the pads made it past the screen into the rest of the system, wasn't fun.

#13 ·
Clean your radiator out. We were having problems with our tractor getting hot and we talked to someone and they said your plugged up and sure enough we went home and cleaned it and worked like a charm. Now we clean our radiators every three days when doing field work

#14 ·
Pulled filters,screen. Cut filters apart they were clean.Took screen out and it was clean.Drained oil and it was clean. Washed out oil cooler and radiator both were clean.The mechanics at John Deere say that if you don't run there hydraulic oil it can cause this.Sounds like a sales pitch to me. But like any desperate farmer I bought it so we'll see. The only thing I seen was the last time I changed oil and filters they were out of the big filter so I bought the short one from John Deere and the big one was a wix. I put a Deere filter on this time so I guess we'll see. Thanks for all the advice.

#15 ·
Pulled filters,screen. Cut filters apart they were clean.Took screen out and it was clean.Drained oil and it was clean. Washed out oil cooler and radiator both were clean.The mechanics at John Deere say that if you don't run there hydraulic oil it can cause this.Sounds like a sales pitch to me. But like any desperate farmer I bought it so we'll see. The only thing I seen was the last time I changed oil and filters they were out of the big filter so I bought the short one from John Deere and the big one was a wix. I put a Deere filter on this time so I guess we'll see. Thanks for all the advice.
I'm with you....let us know how it works out...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.