• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 hayward

hayward

• Members
  • 105 posts
  • LocationSw arkansas

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:21 PM

Hi all, anyone around ark, tx, la, got fair prices for custom baling rates for this year? I'm in sw ark. I've done few deals on shares 60/40, but I've been bless to grow my own operation which tightens my available time to do other peoples to. Really what I'm thinking is that I don't want to do someone else's hay an make less money( brake even, maybe? Lol) than when doing my hay! Just ordered a netwrap attachment for my 458 jd RB, price is 1200 $ more than it was last year, along with everything else I've bought recently that is costing more and more. Anyone that has some experience with rates in this area I'd sure like to hear your thoughts on how much of an increase we should ask? Was thinking 25 for 4x5 with net ?Is that to high r low ? Thoughts from anyone ?
thanks ahead of time

#2 Wallace Creek

Wallace Creek

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationHouston and Austin, Texas

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:08 AM

In the Houston Texas area we have some hay that we are doing on a 60/40 split. If we do 4X5 with net we get 29.00.  With the price of diesel, fertilizer and herbicide this year, we feel that we are very fair at asking 29 per 4X5 round bale. We are full up this year on our customers for bailing and will be very busy.

• Stuckey1 and hayward like this

#3 hayward

hayward

• Members
  • 105 posts
  • LocationSw arkansas

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:06 PM

Thanks for reply Wallace creek. that sounds pretty fair. Yal geting any rain down there this yr?

#4 AndyL

AndyL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 310 posts
  • LocationINNIS, LA

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:31 PM

hayward and WC, is that $25 & $29 selling your hat or is that to custom bale their hay.

#5 dubltrubl

dubltrubl

Hay Master

• Members
  • 264 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Louisiana

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:20 AM

Considering what input expenses are, around $30/4X5 would be about a break even price, especially with net. At the moment we're getting by a little cheaper due to a couple of bargains we've gotten on fertilizer, but at $30/bale we'd clear about $30-$35/acre/cutting. Not sure at that price if it's worth the effort,,, ;) .

Steve

• hayward likes this

#6 hayward

hayward

• Members
  • 105 posts
  • LocationSw arkansas

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:52 PM

Andy, custom baling as for myself( cut rake bale) for 25/ net. Mostly doing my own,went to full time farming( cow/calf, poultry an haying) two yrs ago, figure if I can sale little hay help with paymts on equip. Figure fuel, maintenance, notes, chemicals, ins, chkn poop, still think I can come out ok in couple yrs? Cuting 200 ac this yr, little rain n mayb I can put up 1000-1200 rolls. Just finished tedding first hundred ac today, hope to have it in barn by wed!

#7 AndyL

AndyL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 310 posts
  • LocationINNIS, LA

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:00 PM

Andy, custom baling as for myself( cut rake bale) for 25/ net. Mostly doing my own,went to full time farming( cow/calf, poultry an haying) two yrs ago, figure if I can sale little hay help with paymts on equip. Found guy that took two hundred rolls yr b4 last, made baler note, he came bk an bought 400 last yr. so I bought a new mower an new to me (09) jd 5083 c/a mfwd ldr. Says he needs between 4- 800 bales this yr. I fertilize wit Chicken poop, sale hay for 35, not as much as I'd like to get, but figure if I can keep customer like that, mayb it'll pay off in couple yrs? Figure fuel, maintenance, notes, chemicals, ins, chkn poop, still think I can come out ok in couple yrs? Cuting 200 ac this yr, little rain n mayb I can put up 1000-1200 rolls. Just finished tedding first hundred ac today, hope to have it in barn by wed!

What size bales. 4x5 or 5x5.  I have both. Ran both balers this past week and the rain caught us with about 15 acres left. Was almost to that part where it didn't matter if I baled it or not. Mainly wanted to clean that place up. Gonna just rake it and light it up, then spray.

#8 hayward

hayward

• Members
  • 105 posts
  • LocationSw arkansas

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:13 PM

4x5 net, just got the net installed, first time using it tomorrow, hope it works good as I've been hearing?

#9 AndyL

AndyL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 310 posts
  • LocationINNIS, LA

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:33 PM

Net bales look a lot neater. Good luck with it. Around here $35 buys a 5x5

#10 hay&litter

hay&litter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  • LocationHickory, MS

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:36 PM

Struggle to 25 to 30 in MS. Our best bermuda goes into small square at 5. Trying to branch out into mulch hay this year, pays better than top quality hay.
  • hayward likes this

#11 AndyL

AndyL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 310 posts
  • LocationINNIS, LA

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:35 PM

Struggle to 25 to 30 in MS. Our best bermuda goes into small square at 5. Trying to branch out into mulch hay this year, pays better than top quality hay.

I hear that. People in the south think 35 for a 5x5 is a lot.

#12 Tim/South

Tim/South

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1,971 posts
  • LocationCentral Alabama

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:55 PM

Struggle to 25 to 30 in MS. Our best bermuda goes into small square at 5.

Trying to branch out into mulch hay this year, pays better than top quality hay.

When the new I-22 came through they were having trouble finding reclamation hay. A hay friend of mine baled everything he could and delivered for about a year. Almost worked himself to death. It got him over the hump money wise. Was able to trade in his old English model Deere tractors and buy two new cab tractors, new baler and Kuhn rake.

He said it was the best money he had ever made in hay. Did not have to ted, worry about the weather much and nobody sniffed the hay. 

The state also got a lesson in hay. At first they were paying $25 per roll delivered. "Round Bale" was the only criteria. It did not take long for some to cut the bale sizes down really small. The price dropped to $20 across the board. Then everyone cut down on the bale size.

If they built another interstate I would get in on some of that.

Reclamation hay may be the best money for grass hay in the deep south.

• Vol, dubltrubl, MScowman and 1 other like this

#13 hayward

hayward

• Members
  • 105 posts
  • LocationSw arkansas

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:56 PM

I know I wouldn't want to be on the buying end lol, ran out myself n had to pay 40 a roll

#14 Stuckey1

Stuckey1

• Members
  • 136 posts
  • LocationMagnolia, TX

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:23 AM

Im north of Houston and im charging 28 to 32 on rounds and 1.65 on squares. Phone wont stop ringing!
  • hayward likes this

#15 traden86

traden86

• Members
  • 36 posts
  • LocationS.W. Arkansas

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:18 PM

Boy! $28 to $32 per bale sounds great! Here in SW AR we get $23 for a 4'x6'.
  • hayward likes this

#16 AndyL

AndyL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 310 posts
  • LocationINNIS, LA

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:15 PM

Yeah, I hear ya. I got one wanting 100  5x5  But only wants to pay $30

• hayward likes this

#17 hayward

hayward

• Members
  • 105 posts
  • LocationSw arkansas

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:30 PM

Hi traden86, I'm in hope, where r you located? You seen any hay sale this yr yet? Seems like going to be a lot of hay down here this yr, less it stops raining?

#18 traden86

traden86

• Members
  • 36 posts
  • LocationS.W. Arkansas

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:25 PM

Hayward, I'm in Nashville/Mineral Springs area..... Haven't seen much hay sold yet. There's so much grass around a lot of people I know are even cutting their cow pastures, guess it makes more work for me.... And yes, while it's been almost impossible to get hay up without rain I'm not complaining!
  • hayward likes this

#19 hayward

hayward

• Members
  • 105 posts
  • LocationSw arkansas

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:42 PM

K, yes sir, very good hay yr. so far, getting hot. Had 95 temp today it could change things up fast?

#20 barnrope

barnrope

Hay Master

• Members
  • 752 posts
  • LocationIowa/Minnesota border

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:59 PM

Are you guys all talking about custom haying charges to make the hay or are some of you talking about the price for the actual bales? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users