Quantcast

Sponsors

Today's birthdays

No members are celebrating a birthday today

Recent Topics

Photo
- - - - -

New Holland self propelled small square baler!

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 JD3430

JD3430

Alleged hay master

• Members
  • 4,407 posts
  • LocationPA & DE

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:18 PM

So they made one afterall! Kinda cool (in a retro sort of way)

http://www.tractorho...px?OHID=7394403

http://www.tractorho...px?OHID=7073383

http://www.fastline....4d3248d7f3.aspx

#2 Teslan

Teslan

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2,330 posts
  • LocationWeld County Colorado (Northern Colorado)

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:08 PM

I used to see them quite a bit around here. The guys who had them loved them. I guess NH must have not sold enough though to keep making them.

#3 slowzuki

slowzuki

• Members
  • 1,835 posts
  • LocationNear Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:39 PM

There a popular conversion kit with a big hydrostatic driven tire upfront and the cab sits up front instead of behind.

I wish there was a self propelled one with an electric eye that you could pinwheel rake a field and it would just follow the windrow like the old cutting tables!

#4 JD3430

JD3430

Alleged hay master

• Members
  • 4,407 posts
  • LocationPA & DE

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:10 PM

What never ceases to amaze me is the dizzying array of farm machinery out there. So many ideas tried and some abandoned.
I can honestly say I've never seen one.

#5 Lazy J

Lazy J

Lazy J Farms Feed and Hay

• Members
  • 199 posts
  • LocationGrabill, Indiana

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:18 PM

I remember watching two of those run in DeKalb County Indiana in the late 1970's when I was with my grandfather. I did not know just how cool they were then.

#6 JD3430

JD3430

Alleged hay master

• Members
  • 4,407 posts
  • LocationPA & DE

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:22 PM

I wonder why they tanked? I guess the advent of the ac cab tractor?

#7 slowzuki

slowzuki

• Members
  • 1,835 posts
  • LocationNear Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:36 PM

http://www.tractorby...rs-you-can.html

The second post has pictures of the single tire drive thing. I've seen them around in ads over the years.

I can honestly say I've never seen one.

#8 JD3430

JD3430

Alleged hay master

• Members
  • 4,407 posts
  • LocationPA & DE

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:24 AM

Hope you dont mind if I post the Freeman SP square baler link.
You gotta see this thing.

http://www.alliedsys...eeman/370sp.htm

#9 Teslan

Teslan

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2,330 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:04 AM

Hope you dont mind if I post the Freeman SP square baler link.
You gotta see this thing.

http://www.alliedsys...eeman/370sp.htm

Iwonder how much that costs. By the look of it, I would think that the engine would gather a lot of dust on it. Though I guess it wouldn't be to much more then a sickle swather. I also wonder why Freeman thinks it can sell enough of them to make it worth it.

#10 JD3430

JD3430

Alleged hay master

• Members
  • 4,407 posts
  • LocationPA & DE

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:19 AM

I think if it were set up to pull some kind of accumulator/stacker so the end result is a trailer full of neatly stacked hay bales, it would be a great unit for a farming business that grows and sells thousands of round bales.
  • Hayguy and enos like this

#11 Mike120

Mike120

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1,582 posts
  • LocationHockley, TX

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:21 AM

Maybe I'm just dense, but I don't see any advantage the SP Freeman brings. The old powered balers with the Wisconsin engine were useful because you could drag them around with the same low-HP tractor you used with your sickle mower and rake. Needing 115 hp to drive your baler and still needing a tractor for cutting and raking just doesn't add up to me. What am I missing???

#12 JD3430

JD3430

Alleged hay master

• Members
  • 4,407 posts
  • LocationPA & DE

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:26 AM

Maybe I'm just dense, but I don't see any advantage the SP Freeman brings. The old powered balers with the Wisconsin engine were useful because you could drag them around with the same low-HP tractor you used with your sickle mower and rake. Needing 115 hp to drive your baler and still needing a tractor for cutting and raking just doesn't add up to me. What am I missing???

I wonder if the extra power is useful for towing accumulator, stacker, etc?

#13 Grateful11

Grateful11

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1,103 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:05 AM

I've never seen one but then again I didn't grow up in a farm family, I married into one :D

I was thinking the same on the 115hp to run a baler.

#14 enos

enos

Hay Master

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • Locationwest coast of canada

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:13 AM

Freeman balers are very heavy duty balers..not fast but built. 14x18 weighs about 11,000 lbs. Alot of custom guys pull them with pickups/land cruisers hence the engine. Self propelled look neat but are no longer a big seller fo them. Fairly common in 80's in westen states. A couple pictures of 15 in one field on internet. Still make some 3 string balers for timothy export every year.

#15 Teslan

Teslan

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2,330 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:10 AM

I was thinking along the same lines. But then many including myself have self propelled hay swathers. I believe the sp hay swathers are faster, cuts better and is more efficient then the PT swathers. Plus you don't run over as much hay with a tractor. So wouldn't the same thing kind of apply for a self propelled baler? I don't see how a SP baler could go any faster then a traditional one though. A baler can only handle so much hay no matter what size of tractor or engine is powering it. I would think the bale would come out looking the same. I suspect the Freeman SP baler costs over $115,000 if a SP rotary swather costs over $115,000 new.

#16 jeff outwest

jeff outwest

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:48 PM

Self-Propelled balers have their place. They will out bale a pull type because of they can make corners quicker and bale back and forth with no head lands. Custom guys used them because you only have one power unit. Freeman balers are fast and tough balers period. They don't wear out nearly as fast the other balers either. The bull gear design lets you hog the hay and 1/2 inch shear bolt contribute to that fact. I have been a Freeman since childhood. Freeman is one tough baler.
  • somedevildawg and JD3430 like this

#17 Lewis Ranch

Lewis Ranch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 247 posts
  • LocationRavenna tx

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:00 PM

Here is a link to my 1425 NewHolland baler, I bought it last winter and transplanted it to north texas. This was the first patch we tested it out in, we had to do a little work to it mostly minor adjustments but we have it running pretty good now. It was stored outside so it has faded but I have started buffing it out and it is shining up good. This winter I am putting a whole new updated a/c system in it. I am also looking very seriously at a bale baron with a power plant to put directly behind it. I have more pictures but do not know how to upload them from an iPad.
  • somedevildawg, JD3430 and RockyHill like this

#18 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 2,920 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:11 PM

I think what you may be missing mike is 25tph.....don't know what y'all are saying about not being fast....that's 700+ squares an hour....that's hauling ass

#19 JD3430

JD3430

Alleged hay master

• Members
  • 4,407 posts
  • LocationPA & DE

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:15 AM

Here is a link to my 1425 NewHolland baler, I bought it last winter and transplanted it to north texas. This was the first patch we tested it out in, we had to do a little work to it mostly minor adjustments but we have it running pretty good now. It was stored outside so it has faded but I have started buffing it out and it is shining up good. This winter I am putting a whole new updated a/c system in it. I am also looking very seriously at a bale baron with a power plant to put directly behind it. I have more pictures but do not know how to upload them from an iPad.

That is so unique. Really cool. Makes bales faster than I thought it would.
With a halfway comfortable cab, I can't see why these machines weren't more popular.

#20 Mike120

Mike120

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1,582 posts
  • LocationHockley, TX

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:31 AM

I think what you may be missing mike is 25tph.....don't know what y'all are saying about not being fast....that's 700+ squares an hour....that's hauling ass

Good point! Either the windrows have to be huge, or the fields smooth as glass.....I'd have to get a really wide rake, 'cause gobbling up hay that fast in my fields would probably beat me to death.

• somedevildawg likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users