#61 JD3430

JD3430

Alleged hay master

• Members
  • 4,458 posts
  • LocationPA & DE

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:56 PM

Taking this thread down a side road:
What are y'alls opinions on the "payoff" of owning a trailer and hauling my own hay?
Lets say I can buy a trailer to haul hay for $7,500. Lets say I haul 700 900lb round bales. Lets say my current hauler charges me $5/bale, or $3,500/season, to haul hay to market.
That would mean trailer cost (no repairs, tires, etc included) would be paid off part way into year 3. It also means I have to take the time to haul it all and the risks involved with it. Seems like a 3yr payoff is a short time, but theres so much risk, hassle, time with hauling hay.

Think its worth it to buy a trailer and haul my own hay? I keep coming up with "no" for an answer, but find owning trailer very convenient.

#62 Shetland Sheepdog

Shetland Sheepdog

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • LocationNew Boston & Hollis, NH, USA

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:31 PM

JMHO, but owning a trailer of this type is all about convenience, unless you are using it almost daily! One would, most likely, have to use it almost daily to justify the expense given cost of ownership, operation, maintenance, registration, insurance, time, etc.
  • JD3430 likes this

#63 mgilbert61

mgilbert61

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • LocationColumbus, IN

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:52 PM

JMHO, but owning a trailer of this type is all about convenience, unless you are using it almost daily! One would, most likely, have to use it almost daily to justify the expense given cost of ownership, operation, maintenance, registration, insurance, time, etc.

Well just had a guy offer me $5K for trailer. Good point Shetland Sheepdog. Think I'll let 'er go and look for a good gooseneck.

#64 JD3430

JD3430

Alleged hay master

• Members
  • 4,458 posts
  • LocationPA & DE

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:34 PM

I already have a 10k trailer. Holds maybe 6 bales legally. Also have big backhoe trailer. Short and useless for hay.
Really want a hay trailer, but by no means would I be using it every day. Maybe average 1x per week.

#65 deadmoose

deadmoose

• Members
  • 1,866 posts
  • LocationDalbo MN

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:18 PM

How much would you charge HIM for the same haul? Work it backwards assigning costs for labor, fuel, truck, trailer, insurance, and everything else I missed.

How much can you assign to the trailer? Does it justify?

If not, does the want outweigh the need? Can this trailer make money other ways? What uses?

#66 JD3430

JD3430

Alleged hay master

• Members
  • 4,458 posts
  • LocationPA & DE

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:43 PM

Might be able to do some private hauling. Have class A lic. and apportioned tags and a lot of OTR trucking miles on me. Used to drive tri's and haul machinery back in the day.
I dont like it as much as I used to. I think I'm talking myself out of this....but would like to be able to haul hay on moments notice, Dont wanna lose customers if they can find someone to deliver quicker. ........

#67 deadmoose

deadmoose

• Members
  • 1,866 posts
  • LocationDalbo MN

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:46 PM

I don't think you want that customer.

#68 Tim/South

Tim/South

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1,886 posts
  • LocationCentral Alabama

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:20 PM

If all of my hay was going to a customer and I had dependable trucking I would probably hire it done. My frame of mind would be that it generated $5 less per bale but I would be through with it. Kind of like giving a customer a $5 break off the barn price.
Since I feed most of my hay then I haul it myself. I do not have the immediate cash flow that selling the hay generates. I would be paying out of pocket as compared to sharing a little piece of the pie.
  • Vol and JD3430 like this

#69 rjbaustian

rjbaustian

• Members
  • 199 posts
  • LocationNW IL (quad city area)

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:43 PM

I think you guys are think way too much into this. Take your chances they leave you alone. It's like being over loaded with a grain trailer. If you get by them 200 loads and get a ticket just once, you're already money ahead. Just smile and pay the ticket. Lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users