Quantcast

Sponsors

Today's birthdays

No members are celebrating a birthday today

Recent Topics

Photo
- - - - -

What to seed into an old grass field for hay??

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rrch129

rrch129

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • LocationCentral Kentucky

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:04 AM

I am in central Ky and I have acquired about 60 acres of grass that has been neglected for the past 2-3 years. I have pulled all the saplings out and it seems to have a good thick undergrowth but I want the cover to be even thicker come spring to shade out the weeds. It will get lime ASAP and will get sprayed with 24d when the appropriate time comes. What should I broadcast on this ground for quick growth and thick growth? I use cereal rye as a cover crop on my grain ground but that I always seed in the fall. Can it be seeded in the spring? Would it be a good option? Anyways any advice you guys could give on a spring seeded plant to put in with the grass would be great! I want good hay off this piece but this year it will probably just be cattle hay. Thank you

#2 endrow

endrow

• Members
  • 889 posts
  • Locationcentral pa

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:05 AM

Where I live this time of the year would use oats. that would probably require a notill drill and you could sow grass seed and or a legume at the same time . Oats makes good cattle hay.

#3 slowzuki

slowzuki

• Members
  • 1,923 posts
  • LocationNear Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:43 AM

Not every seeding can out compete established sod/weeds. Oats come up quite early, they may get a jump on the existing plants.

#4 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5,556 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:15 AM

I am in central Ky and I have acquired about 60 acres of grass that has been neglected for the past 2-3 years. I have pulled all the saplings out and it seems to have a good thick undergrowth but I want the cover to be even thicker come spring to shade out the weeds. It will get lime ASAP and will get sprayed with 24d when the appropriate time comes. What should I broadcast on this ground for quick growth and thick growth? I use cereal rye as a cover crop on my grain ground but that I always seed in the fall. Can it be seeded in the spring? Would it be a good option? Anyways any advice you guys could give on a spring seeded plant to put in with the grass would be great! I want good hay off this piece but this year it will probably just be cattle hay. Thank you

I would just give it a good dose of Nitrogen this spring along with a good shot of 2-4d. See what you actually have in grasses and then form a plan for planting in the fall if needed. Doubtful if much would grow with a "thick undergrowth" of grass this spring anyway....a good dose of Nitrogen will do more for shading weeds out at this point. Your location in your profile would be helpful to all in our responses :). Thanks.

Regards, Mike

#5 rrch129

rrch129

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • LocationCentral Kentucky

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:22 AM

What is something I could broadcast? This is around radio towers and they dont want any planting equipment used because of the underground radials? There are some spots that really have no grass that is why I would prefer to over seed some. Thank you

#6 endrow

endrow

• Members
  • 889 posts
  • Locationcentral pa

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:38 AM

Italian Rye Grass

#7 swmnhay

swmnhay

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4,127 posts
  • LocationReading,Mn

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

Here I go with 50-50 mix of annual ryegrass and orchardgrass @10-20 lbs to thicken up things.AR comes in fast and the orchard later.

Or here is some we have premixed.
http://www.producers...ve-pasture-mix/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users