27 replies to this topic

#21 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5,916 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:33 AM

Yes, fracking has already reared its head in East Tennessee....

http://www.timesfree...g-in-tennessee/

Regards, Mike

#22 oldcboy

oldcboy

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:15 AM

Hi !,I am from Williams county ,ND . We have wells in the area and raise cattle-I also worked in the oilfields in the 80's before fracking occured here. I don't know of any problems being caused by fracking. Our wells in ND are deep and cemented down to the frack depth. Hard for water or gas to go through 10,-15,000 psi rock or an adequate cement job around the pipe a mile or more deep. Definitely a concern in some parts of Wyoming -Teapot Dome and naval reserve areas comes to mind as wells are only a couple hundred feet deep.

• somedevildawg likes this

#23 ontario hay man

ontario hay man

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1,482 posts
  • Locationsw ontario

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:16 AM

I agree we need oil and gas and all that but I doubt this is the safest way to do it. If a guy comes in your yard and tells you how good and safe it is chances are he is full of shit. They came in to our yard telling us how wonderful windmills are. They throw a hundred of them all around us. 2 months after they start running my healthy energetic 40 year old dad at that time developed rumetoid arthritis. He went from working as hard or harder then me to somedays not being able to come out at all. Is this from the windmills? Your damn right it is. I was all for it til that happened. So you guys saying its greenies and all that crap wouldnt be believers til something happens in your area. I went toe to toe at a town meeting with these greenies that said windmills are bad. I thought they were out to lunch til my dad crippled up in less then 2 months. You guys can be all for it all you want but remember those royalty cheques dont mean shit when you dont have your health. My experience really took away my faith in government regulations for our safety.
  • Grateful11, Vol and somedevildawg like this

#24 Blue Duck

Blue Duck

www.blueduckmachine.com

• Members
  • 266 posts
  • Locationsouth central Kansas

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:09 PM

A few years ago it looked like I was going to be living in the middle of a wind farm.  All of my neighbors singed leases to put up windmills.  After doing a lot of research I decided to move.  I would have waited to see how bad it was living around them but my son has autism and the sound, vibrations, and shadow flicker would not work for him.  I should have stayed because the company backed out and abandoned the project. 

Another concern with the fracking is earthquakes.  I am sure we had small earthquakes before all the fracking started in the area but now we can feel them.  My father had never felt an earthquake in his 64 years and now he has felt six in the last couple years!  If they quakes stay small they are not a problem (kinda cool) but if this area had a bigger one it would do billions of dollars of damage.  Buildings, bridges, and utilities in this area are not designed for big earthquakes.  Do you think the people making the money from fracking will pay the repair bill or the tax payers?

#25 Bonfire

Bonfire

• Members
  • 539 posts
  • LocationSouth Side Va.

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:20 PM

Windmill farms are nothing more than clutter.  They ruin the landscape.  I don't care about all the green energy crap.  Want cheap, reliable energy (I do)? Then mine more coal or dig another gas well.  Not to mention the birds they kill.  The Eagle, illegal for you and I to kill but this administration "creates a new rule" allowing the windmill operators to do just that.  Uuuhhh uuuuuhhhhh, iiiiiiiit's aaaaa for a good cuase.   ;)

• Tim/South and ontario hay man like this

#26 mlappin

mlappin

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 6,669 posts
  • LocationNorth Liberty, Northern Indiana

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:58 AM

Windmill farms are nothing more than clutter.  They ruin the landscape.  I don't care about all the green energy crap.  Want cheap, reliable energy (I do)? Then mine more coal or dig another gas well.  Not to mention the birds they kill.  The Eagle, illegal for you and I to kill but this administration "creates a new rule" allowing the windmill operators to do just that.  Uuuhhh uuuuuhhhhh, iiiiiiiit's aaaaa for a good cuase.   ;)

We went to Normandy last month, when first driving off Le Shuttle those wind mills were kinda cool in France, a few here a dozen there, half a dozen over there a few dozen here. After a few hundred miles of looking at them they became a f*ckin bloody eyesore. Was glad we drove back in the dark so I didn't have to look at any more of them.

Not sure how much the green energy plays a part of it, but they pay almost four times as much for electric in England as I do in Indiana. Don't kid yourselves for a minute if you think having your electric quadruple in price wouldn't seriously effect your farm.

#27 Lostin55

Lostin55

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • LocationBig Horn Basin Wyoming

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:46 PM

I am biased. As I type this I am sitting in my office looking out my window at one of the newest drilling rigs in ND. I have seen fracking all over the place, and I have made a career in this industry. I have never seen any ill effects of cattle or livestock or ground damage that resulted from fracking. I have however seen a number of areas damaged from spills of various fluids over the years. I can tell you that the industry has made as many advancements in HSE as they have in drilling. HSE is 1st in anything that we accomplish. That stands for Health, safety, and environmental by the way.

It seems to be a popular topic of discussion lately and also seems to be political in many circumstances.it would be nice if everyone would educate themselves independently. The information is out there. As of last summer, there was not a single scientific study that could relate fracking to surface damage. That is not to say that damage does not occur in a blowout or other well control event, but the two are not related.

• Teslan, oldcboy and bbos like this

#28 bbos

bbos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 270 posts
  • Locationnorthwest ohio

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:12 PM

Don't know much about it.. Ive heard the good and the bad. One thing I do know is its good for the straw market

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fracking, Ranching, cattle, livestock

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors