14 replies to this topic

#1 brandenburgcattle42

brandenburgcattle42

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 389 posts
  • LocationCentral Illinois

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:43 AM

We are going to run our first big square baler next year and need to know what the best spear type to use. Any thoughts? I dont want to use my pallet forks.... Thanks!

#2 Teslan

Teslan

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2,316 posts
  • LocationWeld County Colorado (Northern Colorado)

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:36 AM

Something with at least 2-3 spikes that will go at least through 3/4 of the bale.

#3 gradyjohn

gradyjohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 483 posts
  • LocationWhitesboro, TX

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:22 AM

Something with at least 2-3 spikes that will go at least through 3/4 of the bale.

I agree with Teslan. I have a three spike fron Koyker ... but don't have a baler. I think is boils down to whatever strikes your fancy. They even have accumulators and grapples. I agree pallet forks ... not good. Chance to break twine.

#4 swmnhay

swmnhay

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4,025 posts
  • LocationReading,Mn

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:24 AM

The fine tapered type forged spears are better for getting in and out of the bales.
  • Vol likes this

#5 Teslan

Teslan

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2,316 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:06 AM

make sure the spikes aren't to long and go all the way through the bale either. That can cause frustrating results. I have a spear with 2 spikes on a 3 point, but I rarely use it. What I have is the 8 tine grapple fork here http://www.weissmaster.com/. When I bought it I was doing just small bales. But it works great for large squares. Though it's a bit to wide for them. What I like best is the little push off foot. It's great for pushing off the bale or pulling out of the bale without having to put down pressure.

#6 NDVA HAYMAN

NDVA HAYMAN

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationCentral Virginia

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:11 PM

Might want to check out the www.balehandler.com

#7 brandenburgcattle42

brandenburgcattle42

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 389 posts
  • LocationCentral Illinois

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:18 PM

Thanks guys. Three spikes sounds more supportive to me. I would think you could still note round bales. I have moved rounds with my manure bucket. 72 wide with 10 tines. You think that would work I could remove some tines. Can you guys stack two bales and carry two at once with the right spear?

#8 Teslan

Teslan

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2,316 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:05 PM

I do 2 at once as much as I can. If I took the grapple spikes part off my fork I could do 3 3x3 bales.

#9 Rodney R

Rodney R

Hay Master

• Members
  • 762 posts
  • LocationHamburg, PA

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:47 AM

We have a couple 2 prong spears, and under almost any circumstance you can carry 2 bales at once, but almost never 3 bales. The guys that carry 3 bales either have 3 spears, or a grabber. My neighbor used a manure fork for years to handle 4x4's, but I think he only handled one at a time. Depending on the tractor, you might get light on the back end picking up 2 bales....

Rodney

#10 hay rake

hay rake

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • Locationcentral maine

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:00 AM

We use 3 1 3/4x39 (worksaver removable)spears on a loader to handle one 4x4x8 bale at at a time. two will work but three is more secure. we built a two bale fork with 5 1-3/4x39 spears on bottom and 4 1-3/8x32 on the top.the outside two spears are set to handle round bales two at a time. the center spear is either left in or removed depending on the operator. also the density of the bale makes a difference, the tighter the bale the easier they handle

#11 haybaler101

haybaler101

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1,215 posts
  • LocationCarlisle, Indiana

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:16 PM

I have two home-made forks with 2 spears each made from sharpened truck axles. They work fine for unloading at the barn and I can handle two 3x3's at a time with these. I bought an MDS fork with 4--33" forged steel spikes. It is great, I can carry 3 bales at a time in the field which is how high I stack on the truck. I can also carry two 5.5 x 5 round bales with it at a time. One very important note, make sure your forks have a "backstop" if carrying multiple bales. We have them on all of our attachments. When the top bale rolls off backwards, it crashes into the cab, or worse yet lands on top of the driver if it is an open tractor. My dad had one bend the steering wheel out of his hands before we made backstops mandatory equipment.

#12 dwarner

dwarner

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • LocationSWMN

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:05 PM

I second the backstop, had a buddy unloading for a lady with her little open station utility and the top bale slid down the loader arms, he somehow jumped off the back. He's ~6'4 and I can't even picture that but it was sure a dramatic story. We don't handle many big suares here but I have 2 longer spears to switch out of the short ones on my round bale spear. It works but is only used for a few bales.

#13 Rodney R

Rodney R

Hay Master

• Members
  • 762 posts
  • LocationHamburg, PA

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:58 AM

Yea, the backstop is an absolute MUST. A guy would think that something that is 3ft square would be sorta stabile, but it's not.

Rodney

#14 aawhite

aawhite

• Members
  • 217 posts
  • LocationWest Central Kansas (Hays)

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:57 PM

We built our spear on an old pallet fork mast. Uses 3 spears, got the bolt in replacements designed for a 3 pt. spear. I think, if we did it again, I would go with 4 slightly smaller diameter spears. Our spears were a little onge, stuck out of a 3 x 3 bale by a few inches.

We could pick up 3 3x3 bales or 2 4x4 bales no problem. Depending on which loader tractor we had it on, I've picked up 2 4x4 bales before. Biggest issue wasn't back end getting light, but hydraulics struggling to keep up: steering would get hard, etc.

We also had a backstop, learned the hard way when a 3x3 rolled off another and crushed part of the hood on a 4240.

#15 rjbaustian

rjbaustian

• Members
  • 199 posts
  • LocationNW IL (quad city area)

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:22 PM

I used my 2 spear forks for mine the past few years. Didnt work very well. Maybe it was because the bales werent tight enough though. If I buy my own big square baler in the future, im going to add onto my forks and add 2 more smaller spears. ALSO going to add a back stop on the forks too. I too had a bale slide off, and luckly I was quickenough to somehow stop it on my loader arms. I got VERY lucky.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users