• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wsmit13

wsmit13

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • LocationSW Mississippi

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:58 PM

has anyone here got any advice on sharpening the stationary knife and the plunger knife on a 1979 IH 425 square baler! I have the shop manuel and can follow that but it sounds like it would be easy to get the knives clearences off during the reassembly! Anybody done it before! Thanks

#2 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5,941 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:12 PM

I found it easier on my previous John Deere baler to leave them on and sharpen them with a 4" wheel grinder. I used a broken down heavy cardboard box that I would lay on top of the hay pickup and then I would lie on the cardboard to access the knives. Not real comfortable, but easier and much faster than dis-assembly and re-assembly for me.

Regards, Mike

#3 fredro

fredro

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • LocationCENTRAL MS.

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:21 PM

put it back together just like u took it apart no problem at all

#4 wsmit13

wsmit13

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • LocationSW Mississippi

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:03 AM

Fredro, That is a simple answer and I realize that! Are you speaking from experience?

#5 Gearclash

Gearclash

Hay Master (Supposedly)

• Members
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSioux County, NWIA

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:49 PM

I usually sharpen the knives on the big square once a year, five on the plunger, two on the floor. It's best to label everything with a marker before disassembly. Also be careful when pulling knives out as there may be shims under them. As said, if everything is put together exactly as it came apart, there should be no problem with clearance.

#6 country boy

country boy

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • Locationlivingston tex

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:38 PM

I sharpen the blades on my 47 while on the baler , I use a 4 in grinder with a flapper wheel , some of it you can get to through the pickup side some from the chute ( im not a very big fellow ) but it only takes me five minutes to to do it this way

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors