• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 deadmoose

deadmoose

• Members
  • 2,070 posts
  • LocationDalbo MN

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:11 PM

I am asking kind of an open ended question here: how do different tractor models do on fuel?

I finished up 10 hours of plowing with my new Kubota M7040SUHD andI have a rough estimate of how my tractor drank the fuel. I say rough because I am filling with the new fangled plastic diesel cans. It takes me longer to fill the tractor with them then to use the tractor, but that is another topic. Anyhow, I figure I am using ROUGHLY (and by roughly it is a rough estimate) using 2 gallons per hour at 80-90% throttle (breaking in my new engine). I have been pulling my old ferguson 3 bottom plow (which belongs in a scrap pile) but it got the job done. At best I have averaged 1.5 acres per hour. Roughly 15 acres plowed using 20 gallons of fuel. So I am at approximately 1.3 gallons per acre. How does this stack up? How many gallons per acre (or acres per gallon) do the big rigs moldboard plow at? TIA

deadmoose

#2 swmnhay

swmnhay

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4,152 posts
  • LocationReading,Mn

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:00 AM

I havn't molbard plowed for awhile but with MF 8150 i used to figure around 1.6 gpa.Thats in heavy soil.

#3 urednecku

urednecku

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1,266 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:31 AM

I don't even have a plow, but using a big disc that makes it work, that's about the fuel my M7040 uses. I also rough figure nearly 2 gph pulling my Kuhn 9' disc mower, keeping the throttle up to 540 rpm. On the other hand, baling with the JD336, I keep the rpm's down to about 500 (the baler seems to work better, and doesn't 'slam' so hard) it'll drop down a bunch on drinking fuel. With something like the rake or tedder, it only sips maybe 1gph.

Yeas ago when my late Daddy used our MF 165 making hay, (I think he used it mostly to round bale,) He would take 5 gallons to it one day, 10 the next, working full days from due dry to almost dark.
  • Vol likes this

#4 Gearclash

Gearclash

Hay Master (Supposedly)

• Members
  • 842 posts
  • LocationSioux County, NWIA

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:18 AM

CaseIH mx170 pulling 12 wheel rake in stalks, about 2 gal/hr. 145 pto hp.

CaseIH mx135 pullling 5x6 round in stalks, about 3 gal/hr. 115pto hp.

Last year either of them on a 15' stalk chopper used about 5 gal/hr.

These numbers include road and idle time.

#5 Chessiedog

Chessiedog

• Members
  • 475 posts
  • Locationeast central Indiana

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:14 AM

New Holland TL100a is 110 horse I had it turned up a little . I use roughly 1 gpa pulling a 13 foot 1431 discbine .

#6 JD3430

JD3430

Alleged hay master

• Members
  • 4,712 posts
  • LocationPA & DE

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:30 AM

Very important consideration when buying a tractor. This election may determine the future of fuel prices.
If the Irish dude from Chicago wins, I would expect tractor fuel consumption to be the biggest single line expense for a lot of farmers.

#7 gradyjohn

gradyjohn

• Members
  • 534 posts
  • LocationWhitesboro, TX

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:28 AM

Depending on the soil it moldboard should take between 9 - 12 drawbar horsepower per foot of with @ 8 inches. See
http://archive.lib.m...e/PDF/e1152.pdf and for fuel use http://www.ext.colos...mmgt/05006.html . The newer the tractor the better fuel efficiency. I is always better to have to much HP than not enough. I bought a meter to put on my field tank ... haven't put it on yet. 2gpa for a 9ft disk mower is too much. My 13 foot moco doesn't use that much.
  • Mike120 likes this

#8 urednecku

urednecku

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:05 AM

Depending on the soil it moldboard should take between 9 - 12 drawbar horsepower per foot of with @ 8 inches. See
http://archive.lib.m...e/PDF/e1152.pdf and for fuel use http://www.ext.colos...mmgt/05006.html . The newer the tractor the better fuel efficiency. I is always better to have to much HP than not enough. I bought a meter to put on my field tank ... haven't put it on yet. 2gpa for a 9ft disk mower is too much. My 13 foot moco doesn't use that much.

OOPS! that should read 2 gph....that's hours, not acre. That would be a lot of fuel. I haven't really checked it, but probably cut about 3 or 4 acres an hour?
I'll change it. Thanks.

#9 deadmoose

deadmoose

• Members
  • 2,070 posts
  • LocationDalbo MN

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:31 PM

Thanks for the reference.

#10 ANewman

ANewman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 236 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, TN

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:01 PM

Not sure about plowing, but my Case JX75 burns 3.0-3.5 gal/hr @ 540 PTO speed which is 2200 rpm.

#11 mlappin

mlappin

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 6,581 posts
  • LocationNorth Liberty, Northern Indiana

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:17 AM

I don't know about that. The Cat 3208's sipped fuel, and most of the old Waukesha's were really good on fuel. I can ted 185 acres of hay in 11 different fields with my 1600 Oliver and if I left the farm full still have plenty to drive it back home 9 miles from the furthest hay field. It holds a little more than 20 gallons.

#12 Gearclash

Gearclash

Hay Master (Supposedly)

• Members
  • 842 posts
  • LocationSioux County, NWIA

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:28 AM

I can second that. Case IH 5140 took more fuel running the same mixer wagon as the IH 766. Newer tractors can have more parasitic hydraulic drag.

#13 swmnhay

swmnhay

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4,152 posts
  • LocationReading,Mn

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:03 AM

burning .75 gal acre cutting hay with MF 1105 with 354 perkins pulling 13.4' Vermeer 1030 disc pro

#14 slowzuki

slowzuki

• Members
  • 1,962 posts
  • LocationNear Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:23 AM

Doing what? The fuel use depends on power output not rpm.

Our little 5030hstc Kubota is slightly more thrifty per acre on the baler than our MF5455, given the MF weighs 2x the bota I guess thats fair hauling itself up the hills.

Not sure about plowing, but my Case JX75 burns 3.0-3.5 gal/hr @ 540 PTO speed which is 2200 rpm.

#15 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5,719 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:45 AM

Fuel effiency is influenced by RPM's......you will burn considerably more fuel driving at 2200 rpm's than you will say at 1500 rpm's all things considered.

Regards, Mike

#16 slowzuki

slowzuki

• Members
  • 1,962 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:16 PM

Yes but bsfc goes back up under a certain rpm too. There a bucket. Attached are the curves from a Deutz Agrotron 90mk3 that I was looking at buying. Didn't know Deutz tractors well at the time but it was a steal of a deal I missed.

Attached File  deutz fuel.jpg   61.43KB   5 downloads

Fuel effiency is influenced by RPM's......you will burn considerably more fuel driving at 2200 rpm's than you will say at 1500 rpm's all things considered.

Regards, Mike

#17 ANewman

ANewman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 236 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, TN

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:46 PM

Doing what? The fuel use depends on power output not rpm.

That's pulling a 9' disc mower. If you are running a constant rpm the output should be the same, right?

#18 slowzuki

slowzuki

• Members
  • 1,962 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:13 PM

No, think of it being connected to nothing and reving it up to pto rpm. It will use much less fuel than at the same pto rpm pulling a chopper blowing smoke at full load. The amount of fuel being injected at full load it what maybe 100 times as much as no load?

That's pulling a 9' disc mower. If you are running a constant rpm the output should be the same, right?

#19 ANewman

ANewman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 236 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, TN

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:23 PM

Zuki, I understand load vs no load, but regardless of what load wouldn't it still use the same amount of fuel at a given rpm? The engine has to have a certain amount of fuel to maintain that rpm.

#20 urednecku

urednecku

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:33 AM

Zuki, I understand load vs no load, but regardless of what load wouldn't it still use the same amount of fuel at a given rpm? The engine has to have a certain amount of fuel to maintain that rpm.

If it's under a load, it will use more fuel. It's like your lawnmower getting in tall/tough grass, the govener will open the throttle to put more fuel & air in the engine in order to maintain the rpm. Kinda like if you peddle a bicycle on a stand, it's real easy. Now take it off the stand, and ride up a hill...you must use more energy to keep the wheels turning the same speed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users