• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:18 PM

If you are trying to make hay in the southeast, particularly in south Georgia, expect scattered showers with isolated patches of thunderstorms located over the hay field areas. Our research has shown a significant increase in precipitation activity just after cutting and extending into the days following that cutting with some storms severe in nature. These storms can and will bring serious rainfall to any Bermuda grass field that has fresh hay one the ground. When these storms take place, and they will, take cover and lock yourself in the basement, would be best to emerge in about 5 days and verify that is still raining and go back in to basement for another stint, by now the grass should be fairly well beaten into the ground at which point you can opt to Ted or burn, You could Ted but in a few more days You will have wished You woulda burnt it up, cause On day 14 the grass is growing through the stems that are still left on the field, the good news is the long term forecast calls for clearing skies in exactly 9 more days......wonder if army worms can swim?

#2 NewBerlinBaler

NewBerlinBaler

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • LocationCentral PA

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:22 PM

Good to see you have a sense of humor. So far, I only cut one time this year and it rained before I got it baled. Then the drought hit in July. Next cutting will be in September. We'll see how that goes... Thanks for the laugh.

#3 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:31 PM

No problem, glad I could...hope all goes well in September, our extra long term forecast is for scattered showers.......with an occasional hurricane system......can't wait....

#4 johndeeregreen

johndeeregreen

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationSouth Ga

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:41 PM

Well I cut hay Mon let it dry that afternoon Tues and half a day Wed. Check it today with my moisture tester and it read 9 to 11 percent, roll about two rolls and tested it again read about 15 to 18 percent! Went ahead and rolled 20 more rolls and around 7:00 to night check them and they were 22 to 26 percent!! Even the rolls that I tested earlier that read 9 to 11 percent at 7:00 they read 15 to 18 now at 85 degrees!! I don't get it ain't never happen to me, its either the tester or just the cool weather and low humidity .I guess tomorrow I'll rake over one more time and let it dry then about 3 or 4:00 I'll try baling it again!! (Should of teddered it.) Guess I'll just have to wait an extra day more!!

#5 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:19 AM

What type grass is this, most grass tested with most testers will read significantly higher in the bale than in the winrow, wouldn't worry unless they get up above that 20 mark and wouldn't really worry unless they were up round 25-30. What type tester, you stated 85o that ambient air temp?

#6 LaneFarms

LaneFarms

Hay Master

• Members
  • 291 posts
  • LocationChiefland, Florida

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:55 PM

You will find that on bermuda grass hay that the moisture content will rise in the roll several hours after baling. My main concern is the moisture when I bale it and then the temperature several days after. I scared myself last year when I checked some the day after baling and it was in the mid 20% range so I stored it seperate, but when fed this past winter I could not find any mold or dust.

#7 jdhayboy

jdhayboy

Hay Master

• Members
  • 275 posts
  • LocationHockley, Tx

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:08 PM

Yeah moisture probes are only good after the hay is baled. Kind of useless in a way, unless your buying hay. You will know in an hour or two if it wasn't ready to bale. Thats my experience. Everyone has done it but it sure sucks to probe some stacks at 20 plus percent the next morning after you just put a couple thousand squares in the barn.
A lot of times you got mess it up to learn anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users