JD Dropping Front 3pt

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 HenRut

HenRut

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:50 PM

Was perusing John Deere's latest mid-Ag/Row crop machine offerings (100-115 pto hp) and noticed they're no longer offering the front 3pt/pto option as a field installed (or factory) option. Their sales/configuration site mentions this with a note to contact LaForge directly if anyone is looking for this option. Anyone have any thoughts as to why they're dropping this feature? Low sales? Maintenance problems? Dispute with LaForge?

#2 downtownjr

downtownjr

downtownjr

• Members
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:24 PM

Not sure why JD may have stopped. I think in the future it will become more popular in the US, like it is in Europe. I like the setup on the Fendts. I think AGCO has it available on the Masseys. Do CNH have it available?

#3 RCF

RCF

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • LocationSulphur Springs, TX

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:42 PM

Yes CNH has the front 3pt now available on magnums and puma series tractors and on the New Holland T7 and T8 tractors. The front hitch on the CNH's is made by Zuideberg. The front hitches are available on all Agco tractors I do believe. The fendt setup is pretty nice but, they are to intimidating to most hands.

To the original question JD might be dropping them on the smaller tractors just because they can but, I do know they are still available on the bigger tractors.
  • Feed Hay likes this

#4 slowzuki

slowzuki

• Members
  • 1,991 posts
  • LocationNear Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:24 PM

Fendt and the other agco companies dropped them too as factory installed, its now dealer installed on most brands. The explanation is here the pto operates in the same direction as the rear so you can run a snow blower whereas the standard dictates it turn the opposite, some something like that. In any case, multiple companies have dropped it this year but still available.

#5 HenRut

HenRut

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:39 AM

They would appear to be incredibly handy on a number of fronts, the biggest plus being the obvious... keeping your work in front of you. Also safer, more productive and easier on older necks and backs from having to twist around in the seat for hours using rear-mounted implements. Rotational issues, I imagine, can be a major stumbling block as to what implements/attachments are actually usable.

Anyone ever seen (or heard) of a dual, hay-mowing setup using both a front and rear 3pt/PTO? I'm thinking something like the front-mounted Kuhn 313 mower/conditioner simultaneously with a rear mounted offset unit. Essentially mowing two rows in one pass. Any reason why this wouldn't work?

#6 aawhite

aawhite

• Members
  • 253 posts
  • LocationWest Central Kansas (Hays)

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:56 AM

See quite a few dual set ups around here in Kansas. Usually on a bi-directional with a 12' on the 3 pt and then pulling another 12', but you could certainly do the same with a regular tractor with front 3pt.

#7 cannonball

cannonball

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:32 AM

henrut, like this

http://beefmagazine....Action_01_0.jpg
  • Feed Hay likes this

#8 HenRut

HenRut

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:28 PM

That's what I'm talking about. PTO HP requirements must be impressive.

#9 NDVA HAYMAN

NDVA HAYMAN

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1,866 posts
  • LocationCentral Virginia

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:59 PM

I would say that on the smaller hp tractors, that there was not enough power to run more than one machine. I know that the same in the bi-directional NH tractors, there was a severe shortage of hp. That's what was told to me from the few that I knew that had them. Mike

#10 HenRut

HenRut

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:46 PM

I got this from the Kuhn website on their 28' Triple Moco setup: Minimum HP/PTO requirement is 190 hp.

A setup with the front moco alone needs 103+ hp. That's more than would be required for a single rear Moco. Isn't it the same hp coming off the crankshaft, be it front or rear?
  • Feed Hay likes this

#11 slowzuki

slowzuki

• Members
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:00 PM

My Pottinger 10 ft rear 3 point mower conditioner is commonly setup with an 8 to 10ft front mower in europe. It needs about 130-150 hp to be useful. Triples like posted need 180 hp or so.

Several brands offer no conditioner triples so 120 hp can mow 30 ft per pass. Not really popular just because its all tedded and the flat swath of a straight mower is harder to ted than a conditioned one.
  • Feed Hay likes this

#12 RCF

RCF

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:26 PM

Attached File  PICT0072.JPG   111.78KB   15 downloads

We have had a Kuhn front mower like you are talking about and they are not the best. We run two krone's now. I would look more at krone, claas, or pottinger if you are in the market for a front mounted mower. We have run triples now for several years and in our conditions 250 pto horsepower is prefered and, if you run around the lower end of the manufacturers recommended range some grasses will bring the tractor to its knees. If you go the no conditioners route I would say in the 150 pto range for the tractor unless you are only cutting alfalfa then the 120 hp range might work.

#13 slowzuki

slowzuki

• Members
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:45 AM

How many acres per cutting do you run through your triples? Are your tractors on the mowers full time?

#14 RCF

RCF

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:26 AM

Cut anywhere from 5000 to 7000 acres a year. We hook and unhook all the time takes anywhere from 15 minutes to 30 minutes to put them on or take them off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors