• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pippsfarm

pippsfarm

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationPlymouth Indiana

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:53 AM

I had to bale sooner than I would have liked to on 8-8. Thought alfalfa needed to finish a little longer but weather wouldn't cooperate. (They changed the forcast.) It's been 48 hours and bales are around 85 degrees which seem normal to me. Its pure alfalfa--no grass. I was worried about mold but I think I might be ok. Shouldn't it have started to heat up by now if it was too wet? Does it have to heat to mold?

#2 NDVA HAYMAN

NDVA HAYMAN

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1,778 posts
  • LocationCentral Virginia

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:05 AM

Most of my bales are around 95-98 degrees a couple days after baling. Are these small squares or rounds?

#3 pippsfarm

pippsfarm

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationPlymouth Indiana

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:19 AM

They are small squares. We tried to beat the rain and started some rounds too but the rain started about 6 hours earlier than they said it would. I ended up with 120 squares and 2 rounds. I still have about 12 windrows in the field I hope to get on Sunday cause its supposed to rain here again on Monday. Nothing seems to be heating up. I think its going to be ok. Hopefully no mold too. Thanks for your input.

#4 mulberrygrovefamilyfarm

mulberrygrovefamilyfarm

Mulberry Grove Family Far

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:43 AM

Your nose should tell you unless you're hard of smelling ;> I've found a wet bale way down in a stack just by following the smell. But by the time you smell it you need to move on it because it is heating fast at that point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users