Quantcast

Sponsors

Today's birthdays

No members are celebrating a birthday today

Recent Topics

Photo

How do you feel about your extension training?

training college workshops

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 downtownjr

downtownjr

downtownjr

• Members
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:33 PM

How are most of your extension workshops in your area?

How about the Indiana guys...how do you feel about ours? See the latest cost for the forage workshop on 6 Sep...$110! ...are others paying these higher prices for forage workshops?

You know when I lived in IL the University of IL had great workshops in Belleville a few years ago and it was like $25 for material and lunch...have they went up like Purdue?

Just curious...maybe I missed the inflation that has hit extension training. Just seems $110 is a little steep for hearing the same things from them that you can get on the internet.

#2 swmnhay

swmnhay

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4,127 posts
  • LocationReading,Mn

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:33 AM

Our local Extention does as little as possible! ^_^

#3 Guest_vol_*

Guest_vol_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:51 PM

Our NRCS office is very good.....our(local) university extension office leaves alot to be desired, but some of the other university extension offices(other counties) are very good.

Regards, Mike

#4 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 3,107 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:26 AM

Our extension office is good at information gathering, distribution, and raising money.......Workshops are ok usually someone from UGA doing the workshop, our guys are busy grading nuts, dealing with nuts, and raising money.....

#5 steve in IN

steve in IN

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • LocationMill Creek,IN southewst of South Bend

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:26 PM

Not impressed with ours. I figure it would be a great place to start cutting government jobs. I stopped going to meetings years ago. I got tired of the silver spoon fed fools complaining thier pork chop was too dry. I learn alot from websites like this and others as well as hands on from my own farm and friends.

#6 swmnhay

swmnhay

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4,127 posts
  • LocationReading,Mn

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:39 PM

I've been waiting a year for them to get me a book on rodent fumigation.To get a lisence they have to get me the materials and give me the test.I've been to the office 3 times and called them 5 times.They are just completly lost.I think there are 4 people working there sucking up wages.

I realy don't know what they do??

#7 hay wilson in TX

hay wilson in TX

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:50 PM

A good session is worth the cost, while a square filler for for free would be too much.

I believe the AFGC Conference will cost me $350 for roughly 2.5 days, plus the hotel. I believe the traveling Intensive Alfalfa Semnar is over $500.
A good one will have a copy of each presentation so we do not have to take great notes.
The Good One's usually would cost even more without industry sponsorship.

Take a look at what Kentucky is offering.

#8 urednecku

urednecku

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1,241 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:22 PM

Ours is pretty good. Have a "pasture weed day" coming up, $20 which includes lunch. They also have a 'kids day' once a year that's geared to 4-H, FFA, or any interested kid, with several hands-on stations/topics.
It's a bunch of nice people out there, you can call & talk to the faculty, any of the Professors, any time you have a question.
http://rcrec-ona.ifas.ufl.edu/

#9 Tim/South

Tim/South

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1,938 posts
  • LocationCentral Alabama

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:42 PM

I really like our new Ag agent. He is sharp and quick to respond/return calls and is sharp and helpful. He spent 45 minutes with me from his cell phone discussing Fescue and Orchard grass differences for my area. Then offered to come out and look things over. I have two different parcels I am planting.
We do not have many Ag workshops. That would change with more interest.

#10 Mike120

Mike120

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1,582 posts
  • LocationHockley, TX

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:40 AM

My local NRCS office is very good to deal with, but I haven't figured out what the county extension office does. However, the CO-OP is almost next door to TAMU and has different classes every Saturday which are often taught by the Aggie professors.

#11 cmd

cmd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 258 posts
  • LocationSC PA

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:52 PM

I never hear anything out of ours. I can't really understand what PennState really does for ag. They are supposed to be great but either I or my dad have ever seen anything out of them. When I started farming I got an Ohio state agronomy guide and one from Pennstate. They Ohio book is the only one worth reading. It's great will really comprehensive data. The PSU looks like a 3rd grader wrote it.

#12 gradyjohn

gradyjohn

• Members
  • 525 posts
  • LocationWhitesboro, TX

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

I don't get anything form our county, but get invitations from an adjoining county. Use to use them all the time when I had to keep up with my CEU's for my pesticide applicator license. I think I will jingle ours and see whatz up. ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: training, college, workshops

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users