• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 downtownjr

downtownjr

downtownjr

• Members
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:36 PM

Article with some advice to assist in getting through feed crunch.

http://farmprogress....educed-10-62054
  • Waterway64 likes this

#2 mlappin

mlappin

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 6,380 posts
  • LocationNorth Liberty, Northern Indiana

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:58 AM

I'm still looking for a tub grinder/mixer, have a friend that's milking around 150 Jerseys and he runs all his hay thru his grinder before feeding, Claims the savings in hay paid for a new grinder/mixer in two years.

I'm still feeding the corn stalk bales we baled wet last fall and wrapped and while they waste very little from being able to pull it thru the head gates and drop it in the alley as we run a stalk chopper over it all before baling, the larger pieces of stalk they will leave. Figured when we got a tub grinder/mixer to drop a bale of corn stalks in, a bale of hay in, then feed it just like we did with our TMR wagon when we milked cows. Come winter I'll add the fines from the grain cleaner in it as well.

#3 ARD Farm

ARD Farm

• Members
  • 536 posts
  • LocationSouth East Michigan

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:46 PM

Rerminds me of 88 both in forage quantity/ quality and availability of alternate feed.

In spring of 88, we had an exceptional winter wheat crop and round baled and square bailed an large quantity of bright wheat straw and then the sky dried up and it got hot.... Just like this year.

In 88 and actually since, we've mixed wheat straw with hay and processed feed to extend forage inventory and will do the same this year. Steers appear to have no issues with consuming straw mixed with their normal feed regimen.

After the '88 dry spell, I begain looking for an alternative method of feeding the steers instead of using round bale feeders that allowed them to pull out large quantities of feed and then use it to lay on or pee on....... and I had the same scenatio occuring with my wife's nags, excuse me, Percheron Draft Horses. Horses are more wasteful than steers when it comes to strewing/peeing on hay.....

I found what I wanted in Indiana, at Klene Pipe Structures and I initially bought 2 for the steers and then copied the design (I apologize in advance) for the nags.

No more hay on the ground, no more waste. I believe they've paid for themselves in saved forage and no more cleanup of wet peed on hay around the feeders. Good investment, at least for our operation.

We will be adjusting the feed ratio with straw again this year, as usual.
  • downtownjr, Nitram and Waterway64 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hay, cattle, feed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users