9 replies to this topic

#1 JD3430

JD3430

Alleged hay master

• Members
  • 4,600 posts
  • LocationPA & DE

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:54 PM

Looking at buying a Pequea 710 tedder. Don't really like my Tonutti that much.
My tonutti is a rotary star type while the pequea is more like rotating drum. It looks like the Pequea would "fling" the hay up in the air better than a star type tedder.
Anyone have experience with the Pequea?

#2 DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:12 PM

Let me start by saying I have no experience w/ any other type of tedder... I've had my 710 for 8 yrs and like it. It seems fairly gentle on the clover and if I have to put a bunch of windrows together w/ the 256 it un-ropes them nicely. It does fluff it up pretty good but the stuff on the bottom tends to stay on the bottom. They're cheap, mechanically simple, and you can buy replacement teeth at TSC. :)

• JD3430 likes this

#3 JD3430

JD3430

Alleged hay master

• Members
  • 4,600 posts
  • LocationPA & DE

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:16 PM

Do they really throw the hay up high in the air to help it dry down?

#4 mlappin

mlappin

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 6,491 posts
  • LocationNorth Liberty, Northern Indiana

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:37 PM

You're looking at a "fluffer" type, they were all the rage here for a little bit then lost popularity as if you really need a tedder, then you need to spread it out as well as fluffing it up, a fluffer won't do that while a rotary type will.
  • JD3430 likes this

#5 DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:17 AM

The drum is rotating the same direction as you're traveling, just faster. It picks the crop up and flings it up and back behind it. The crop is never more than 2-4' off the ground. I use the 710 on the windrow my moco leaves or a finished windrow thats ready to bale. My equipment and approach is out of date and takes a little longer to cure hay than today's "spread it out wide and have a huge rake to get it back" approach.
  • JD3430 likes this

#6 JD3430

JD3430

Alleged hay master

• Members
  • 4,600 posts
  • LocationPA & DE

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:08 AM

OK, maybe the "grass isn't much fluffier on the other side" with the pequea.

#7 whitmerlegacyfarm

whitmerlegacyfarm

• Members
  • 454 posts
  • LocationCentral Pennsylvania

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:31 PM

I'm using a H&S 8 Tedder pretty much identical to the the 710 just that mine is 8ft i believe. It works well i guess but i never used a rotary tedder, i wish i had a rotary tedder though. I seem to have trouble picking up any hay that gets driven over, but with a wider ag tractor you may be ok. I'm running a compact so my wheel width is not as wide as most. I picked mine up for 450.00. I duno what they cost new but i know there was just a Pequea 710 on craigslist locally here in central PA.

#8 whitmerlegacyfarm

whitmerlegacyfarm

• Members
  • 454 posts
  • LocationCentral Pennsylvania

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:34 PM

I just checked craigslist, there is one in Greencastle, PA for 700.00. Also one in Honeybrook, not sure if that's PA or not i didn't recognize the area code but that was a Pequea 910. If you are intested let me know i can get you the phone numbers, but if plug in Harrisburg for the city in craigslist it should come up if you search tedder.
  • JD3430 likes this

#9 Hayguy

Hayguy

Hay Master

• Members
  • 159 posts
  • LocationFitchburg,Wisconsin

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:54 PM

A fluffer type tedder will drop the windrow right back on the same wet ground from where it was picked up unless you've got a good cross wind or are working on a steep slope. If the ground is bone dry like most places this year, you probably don't need to ted anyway.
  • JD3430 likes this

#10 Gearclash

Gearclash

Hay Master (Supposedly)

• Members
  • 814 posts
  • LocationSioux County, NWIA

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:00 AM

We have a fluffer tedder very similar to the Peaquea. It is ground drive, so I often pull it with an ATV. I would not want to be without it, but I don't think it is s substitute for a real tedder. I usually use it to "spot treat" parts of a field that are not going to be dry with the rest of the field. I have had the best results using it in grass hay, a day before baling. The stems need to be somewhat dry for a fluffer to be effective.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users