• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 downtownjr

downtownjr

downtownjr

• Members
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:01 PM

Baling straw with an old McCormick Deering Hay Press...this is the way grandpa had to do it when he was about 15. The wind is kinda rough on the audio, but it is a cool to see how it worked and how they tied.

• Feed Hay, Vol, NDVA HAYMAN and 1 other like this

#2 Feed Hay

Feed Hay

• Members
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSouthern IL

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:45 PM

That was a job!

#3 Teslan

Teslan

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2,534 posts
  • LocationWeld County Colorado (Northern Colorado)

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:11 AM

Sometimes I look at a knotter on a baler and marvel that someone came up with an idea on how to mechanically tie a strong knot. I guess it was just years of farmers and mechanics fiddling with new ideas until we have what we have today.

#4 urednecku

urednecku

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1,243 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:25 AM

Sometimes I look at a knotter on a baler and marvel that someone came up with an idea on how to mechanically tie a strong knot. I guess it was just years of farmers and mechanics fiddling with new ideas until we have what we have today.

And I don't know of many improvements of that tie system over the last ?????? years. Somebody did a dang good job when they figured it out, didn't they.

#5 Teslan

Teslan

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2,534 posts
  • LocationWeld County Colorado (Northern Colorado)

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:57 PM

When I started baling we had a 1979 NH small baler. Now we have a 2010 NH small baler and the knotter is exactly the same. We have a year old Massey 3x3 baler and the knotter looks pretty much the same as well though it ties slightly different, but I'm sure the older large squares tie the same way . So that's at least 33 years that I know of and I don't know how long before 1979 that kind of knotter was sold. I'm not sure how they could improve on balers except with adding more automation and taking up the hay faster, but with that comes more things to break down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users