• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 downtownjr

downtownjr

downtownjr

• Members
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:17 PM

I was helping a friend do some wiring in an old farm house this Saturday and found something interesting...a 1919 copy of "How to Do Things" by the Farm Journal...Wilmer Atkinson Company, Washington Square, Philadelphia. It has a group of old hints and information. Back then Farm Journal sold for $2.95 for three years and the 572 page book .

Pretty cool old stuff like different devices to keep a milk cow from kicking or to hold a cows tail. Even a simple idea for emptying a 50 gallon barrel...you simply lay the top part of the barrel down on a 4 x 4 post and put a pipe in the highest area of the lid. You roll the barrel down the post...the pipe moves down and gravity allows the liquid to flow...so it fills the bucket with the liquid from the barrel.

Also, my favorite...emergency wrench...take a long bolt that has two burrs (nuts...they talked funny in 1919) and adjust them to the position needed to accept the nut or bolt head you want to remove. Cool.

Anyway, I am having a blast. Cool read that is for sure. Next articles...harvesting the ice crop and growing your own fence posts :)

My hat is off to Farm Journal for cool stuff even in 1919. Love to see some late 1890/1900 stuff.
  • hayray, NDVA HAYMAN, kyfred and 4 others like this

#2 urednecku

urednecku

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1,212 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:21 PM

LOTS of that stuff have been forgotten over time. Sure could use some those ideas many times a day around a farm.

#3 Feed Hay

Feed Hay

• Members
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSouthern IL

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:47 PM

growing your own fence posts? Like to hear what that is about, wouldn't that take awhile?

#4 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 2,723 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:46 AM

growing your own fence posts? Like to hear what that is about, wouldn't that take awhile?

All they had was time.....and as grandad used to say, money ran out way before time....
  • downtownjr, Mike120 and kyfred like this

#5 NDVA HAYMAN

NDVA HAYMAN

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationCentral Virginia

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:41 PM

Mine always said " The interest is eatin up the principal"

#6 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5,005 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:17 AM

Neat old idea??? Try paying cash for a major purchase. Very hard to do as by the time you have accumulated enough funds...greed tends to set in and then you hate to spend it :confused: .

Regards, Mike
  • Hokelund Farm likes this

#7 hayray

hayray

Hay Master

• Members
  • 451 posts
  • LocationSoutheast (Brighton), Michigan

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:29 PM

I like the idea about using the bolt with two nuts for a wrench, that may actually come in handy.

#8 Teslan

Teslan

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2,132 posts
  • LocationWeld County Colorado (Northern Colorado)

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:42 PM

My wife is from Panama so we usually go there to visit her family around Christmas time. They grow their fence posts there. They have incredibly fast growing trees. If they need a fence post they just cut a branch, stick it in the ground where they need it and it will root down right there. Pretty nifty. Then after a time they cut the tree down except for the fence post part. Some fences have a post every 2 feet or so. Or even less.

#9 urednecku

urednecku

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:55 PM

My wife is from Panama so we usually go there to visit her family around Christmas time. They grow their fence posts there. They have incredibly fast growing trees. If they need a fence post they just cut a branch, stick it in the ground where they need it and it will root down right there. Pretty nifty. Then after a time they cut the tree down except for the fence post part. Some fences have a post every 2 feet or so. Or even less.

What kind of tree is it?

#10 Teslan

Teslan

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2,132 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:03 PM

I was told by my wife that it is called a diphysa americana or in English it's called a Macano. http://ntsavanna.com/living-fence/
  • Mike120 likes this

#11 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5,005 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:36 PM

I was told by my wife that it is called a diphysa americana or in English it's called a Macano. http://ntsavanna.com/living-fence/

Pretty interesting Teslan....says the Macano is a legume....you tried baling any of the leaves yet? ;)

Regards, Mike

#12 urednecku

urednecku

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:53 PM

Soon as I get a chance I'll check them out. Might be a nitch market around here, or if they do grow here might save $$ on my fences.

#13 Teslan

Teslan

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2,132 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:11 PM

Nope no baling leaves yet. LOL. Though last Christmas when we were in Panama I saw more bales of hay being trucked around then I had ever seen before when we visited. The farming there is interesting. At least compared to where I'm from. Very small very hilly fields with lots of hand labor done by the native indians. Mostly vegetables and rice grown.

#14 Nitram

Nitram

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationMarion Kansas

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:16 PM

Пожалуйста, уходи

Thought I'd been drinkin when I tied to read this. Lol

#15 Nitram

Nitram

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationMarion Kansas

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:55 AM

5ft piece of 2in schedual 40 pvc glue cap on end then you can stick pitch fork in bale (round) place over wooden handle and keep the fork where you need it. Ps don't drive too close to the bale...don't ask!
  • rjmoses likes this

#16 rjmoses

rjmoses

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationNear St Louis

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

I use a length of PVC pipe to hold my center post for double wide gates, i.e., two 10-12' giving me a 20-24' gate opening.

I sink the PVC pipe in the post hole, then just stand a 4" wood post in it. If I need just a small opening, I open just one side. If I need the full width, I open both gates and pull the post. The PVC pipe keeps the post hole from filling in and makes the center post easy to remove.

Ralph

#17 Mike120

Mike120

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1,576 posts
  • LocationHockley, TX

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:25 PM

Thought I'd been drinkin when I tied to read this. Lol

Sorry Martin!!! I guess the Mods deleted the original posts where a Russian spammer posted something (I can't remember what) and I told him to "Please go away"
  • Nitram likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users