• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 3,107 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:14 AM

well, firecrackers and kids and hay.....not like old dogs and children and watermelon wine....neighborhood (if you want to call it that) kids come down to the house and decide to ride the golf cart and while they are at it throw a few firecrackers out of the moving cart....right into my storage area of rounds......you know how this ends. 46 rolls (870 lbs ea.) completely consumed thankfully no tractors damaged, field trashed right at harvest by fire trucks, forestry units etc. Just letting it burn up, will probably burn for weeks. Think I'm gonna bale in squares and make my new labor appointments gather and stack in the barn. Should be about 2000 bales, then apply fire ant treatment to individual mounds, pull any weeds that I may find, not many though, anything else, they ain't got money, hang that one up! What a nightmare, every time someone rides down the road and call the fire department, here comes the pumper truck to investigate....2:30 this am, I hear them pull up, 3 times yesterday. See what today brings

#2 Mike120

Mike120

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1,582 posts
  • LocationHockley, TX

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:44 AM

That sucks! I'm sorry to hear about the loss. Can you use them to stack bales for compensation?

#3 urednecku

urednecku

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1,241 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:04 AM

OUCH. Good luck gettin' 'em to work that much off. IF they will gather & stack the whole 2000 bales they at least will feel they have done some work for once!

#4 swmnhay

swmnhay

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4,127 posts
  • LocationReading,Mn

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:09 AM

OUCH,That sucks.You might aswell let them burn out water won't usually put it out.

Hopefully you have insurance or they do.

#5 Tim/South

Tim/South

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1,938 posts
  • LocationCentral Alabama

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:52 AM

That would make a preacher cuss. I am sorry to hear that your hay burned.

I doubt many modern day teens could hold up to a day in a field of square bales. The last ones I hired were whining before we got the first load stacked in the barn.
  • somedevildawg and Canderson012 like this

#6 NDVA HAYMAN

NDVA HAYMAN

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1,814 posts
  • LocationCentral Virginia

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:52 PM

Sorry to hear of your loss. Nothing you can say to make it better but like all things, it will pass. Hope no one got hurt.

#7 mlappin

mlappin

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 6,503 posts
  • LocationNorth Liberty, Northern Indiana

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:10 PM

That would make a preacher cuss. I am sorry to hear that your hay burned.

I doubt many modern day teens could hold up to a day in a field of square bales. The last ones I hired were whining before we got the first load stacked in the barn.

Yet one more reason I don't make idiot bricks anymore. Help would show up late, leave early and whine all day, then if they actually showed up the next day you got to retrain them as they didn't pay a bit of attention the day before.

#8 jdhayboy

jdhayboy

Hay Master

• Members
  • 275 posts
  • LocationHockley, Tx

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:05 PM

Yeah that sucks. Last year during the drought, some welding on a pipe fence caught a friends hay field on fire which led to his expensive drought hay onfire may have been a 100 bales or more. Fire trucks had to stay and save his house, almost took it out.

#9 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 3,107 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:51 PM

Thanks guys no biggie, no one got hurt, no property damaged (cept the bales and my pocketbook)....5320 was parked right next to them....hauled ass out there and saved it with nary a melt place on it, but grass burnt all way round it, kinda strange. And don't think for a minute that I expect to get much work out of them, think I may just make 500 or so squares and roll the rest....need to replace personal stock now! You can bet they are gonna know they worked that day.....maybe give em a couple of wheelbarrows to get it out of the field and to the barn and stack. :) what really bugs me is this, i gave away about 30 rolls last year to a couple of people doing good work with little financial support (WWP) I couldn't help but think how much they coulda used that hay....oh and the title of this thread was a bit of a pun...I always see threads like What to do with ____hay. Thought I would throw that one in for a laugh, tell me someone chuckled at someone asking wth to do with burned up hay. Thanks again :)

#10 urednecku

urednecku

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1,241 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:04 PM

.....maybe give em a couple of wheelbarrows to get it out of the field and to the barn and stack. :)

OR....to the end of the field, where the baler is waiting to bale it!
  • somedevildawg likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users