teff into wheat stubble

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 captjack

captjack

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:50 AM

looking for advise on planting teff into wheat stubble. I have a broadcast spreader which is how i plant my home farm. has anyone had luck with spreading over stubble before a rain ? I can work the ground but it always seems like the soil is to loose and I never really get a good stand when I do that .

This year I worked ground and cultipacked before seeding. Then I ran the packer with a chain behind it - not a lot of rain - reall bad stand this year. I think I should have left the chain off and just used the packer - oh well next year right ?

Thoughts ?
  • downtownjr likes this

#2 JimB75

JimB75

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • LocationSE Iowa

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:27 AM

A couple of years ago I ran some teff into a poor stand of alfalfa. I just used a drill with grass seeder attachment and covering chains. It turned out to be a decent stand. I wanted to put some teff into wheat stubble this year but didn't have the moisture. I was just going to use the Brillion and not work the ground.

#3 captjack

captjack

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 01:17 PM

I think im going to just work the ground and wait for rain - then broadcast and pack it -

I wish someone would tell me that they just broadcasted the stuff and had good results- I would really like to save all that fuel and time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users