Sitrex HU400

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Scott 47

Scott 47

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:47 PM

Got a guy that wants to sell me a Sitrex 400. Says it is the best piece of equipment he has ever owned. Great tedder and nice job raking.
Anyone have any thoughts on that comment.

Thanks

#2 scrapiron

scrapiron

Hay Master

• Members
  • 238 posts
  • LocationNobleton Fl

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:37 PM

I have done a lot of dumb, no make that stupid stuff in my life, but trying a Sitrex 400 the second time is close to the top of that list. For me it just didn't work out. Don't get me wrong, I have , like , & will own more Sitrex products but NOT a 400. Just don't fit my operation. Try it out before you reach deep in your pockets.

scrapiron

#3 Scott 47

Scott 47

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:36 AM

If you don't mind me asking, what didn't work out on it. My situation is that I am farming about 50 acres and the NH 258, while it does a nice job raking, it is a pain getting around the field.

#4 Mike120

Mike120

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1,550 posts
  • LocationHockley, TX

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:01 AM

I've got the Vermeer version. I got it cheap. It's a decent rake if you like your windrows close together, otherwise it's too small and I can do a much better job with my old NH 256, have enough room to run my Hoelscher accumulator, and better windrows. It makes nice fluffy windrows with less grass in them and the best job I've found for it is fluffing up rained-on windrows to speed drying. It does a reasonable job as a tedder but again, you're not covering much ground. I used it when I broke my 256 and that was more than enough motivation to fix the old rake. I only keep it because it's handy to have a backup.

#5 Grateful11

Grateful11

Hay Master

• Members
  • 817 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:04 PM

If you don't mind me asking, what didn't work out on it. My situation is that I am farming about 50 acres and the NH 258, while it does a nice job raking, it is a pain getting around the field.

What makes the 258 a pain to get around the field?

#6 Scott 47

Scott 47

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:10 PM

If I decide not combine rows, I have to do a helluva lot of driving around to create windrows. If I am doubling up swather rows, it works fine. Hay just gets a little thick at times.

#7 Grateful11

Grateful11

Hay Master

• Members
  • 817 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:30 PM

If I decide not combine rows, I have to do a helluva lot of driving around to create windrows. If I am doubling up swather rows, it works fine. Hay just gets a little thick at times.

So it's more of a time thing not really a maneuvering around problem. Wife bought a new 256 last year with dolly wheels, her old one was a std. hitch type, she likes it so far except backing it up ;-) She makes a lot hay on tilled fields and it was either a rollabar or a rotary, wheel rakes pick up too many rocks and dirt clods.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users