• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 2,865 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:06 PM

Ditto on no P Bahai in those pics, scapeiron surely you are talking a yearly production of +10,ooo # per acre

#22 Texasmark

Texasmark

Hay Master

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:35 AM

Mark ; I have been working with Pensacola Bahia for over 30 yrs. In your pictures I could find NO pensacola. There is some crabgrass that I would love to have some seed from, it makes great hay.

I have baled many thousand bales of Pensacola & fed them to cattle & horses, it makes ok hay. My best yeild was 88 rolls,4x5.5 at over 1000lb per roll, off 8.2 acres. We weighed 12 rolls on a certfied scale, 1080- 1320 lbs each. Tested out at 12% CP. There is a new Bahia grass out, I just planted 4ac today, tifton-9 {tiftquick}. think of it as pensacola on steroids.

Intresting note; you say if you can controll the broadleaf weeds. What are you going to spray with ?? I have found nothing that won't kill the Pensacola until the pensacola is 6in tall { about 4-6 months old here }. I have killed many an acre of pensacola trying different herbicides. After it is established it is very hard to kill, 1gl of roundup per acre won't kill it.

scrapiron

Now that I am getting more educated, I agree on the crabgrass comment. I can control that by other plants taking over.

Johnson Grass will ultimately be one of the prime take-over grasses and that's ok for hay for me; was here long before sorghum sudan. Only thing I will have to watch is if I graze it after the hay crop in later years, watch for prussic acid stress.

I have identified the other grasses in the picture and they are PM for the fat leafy plants and Bahia for the smaller lighter green plants in the pics. The plants are in a row like my drill would put them out and I pulled up one of the plants and found the tubes between the stem and the roots that is a characteristic of Bahia.

I also have a lot of Foxtail Millet that is perennial via reseeding. It grazes ok, not a lot of volume but helps to keep the broadleaf weeds at bay. No biggie for me.

The last two years I let my field layby and that was a mistake. Some bad weeds really engulfed it. After a thorough workover with the "plowshares" I let it regrow somewhat and did it in again. I then came back this spring with Geophosphate and 2-4D Amine mixed at the rate of 1% each and put this mixture out at about 16 gallons out per acre. It did a pretty good job on the weeds but after it appeared that some were still alive and well, I came back again with 2% 2-4... and hit it again. Then after a week I planted.

Seems the two herbicides did not impact my growth and things are finally humming along.

On killing Bahia, I read somewhere that it will tolerate the lighter applications of Geophospate and the other is a no brainer...not a broadleaf weed.

Oh, Mr. Haymaster, the yields you mentioned herein are 2x my expectations and are excellent for what I want. Thanks.

HTH and thanks for the inputs.

Mark

#23 Mike120

Mike120

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1,581 posts
  • LocationHockley, TX

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:13 AM

I agree that Bahia makes decent hay.....if you fertilize it and cut regularly. The only issue I've seen with it is that it will bleach out pretty fast and really contrast in a Bahia/Bermuda mix. The horses like it though.

Lindsay, I've had no problem using Grazon P+D on my Bahia, but these are established fields. I also wait until I have a fair amount of leaf on the weeds (and everything else) before I spray.

#24 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 2,865 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:45 AM

Mark, there may be a grass in the Baha'i family in your pics but there is no PB in those pics.....period. I control the Bahai in my fields with Pastora. Gly does kill it but the application has to be increased, obviously can't use gly to control it in other fields.....like I said before it is a dominate grass here in south Georgia for grazing, just not a lot of leaf structure for baling.

#25 Texasmark

Texasmark

Hay Master

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:40 AM

Mark ; I have been working with Pensacola Bahia for over 30 yrs. In your pictures I could find NO pensacola. There is some crabgrass that I would love to have some seed from, it makes great hay.

I have baled many thousand bales of Pensacola & fed them to cattle & horses, it makes ok hay. My best yeild was 88 rolls,4x5.5 at over 1000lb per roll, off 8.2 acres. We weighed 12 rolls on a certfied scale, 1080- 1320 lbs each. Tested out at 12% CP. There is a new Bahia grass out, I just planted 4ac today, tifton-9 {tiftquick}. think of it as pensacola on steroids.

Intresting note; you say if you can controll the broadleaf weeds. What are you going to spray with ?? I have found nothing that won't kill the Pensacola until the pensacola is 6in tall { about 4-6 months old here }. I have killed many an acre of pensacola trying different herbicides. After it is established it is very hard to kill, 1gl of roundup per acre won't kill it.

scrapiron

Sorry for the slow reply. Just picked this up.

I sprayed prior to planting by a week. I have not sprayed since then. I cannot answer your question.

The grass is coming along nicely. I had the soil bed all prepared, soil loose and smooth, fertilizer implanted per soil test recommendations, planted and packed. Waited for the weeds and hit them twice with broadleaf and geophosphate and got most of them. Waited a week and planted.

About a week later 1st rain and has been raining on a once a week basis since. So far I am a happy camper and what I see can take over my field any time it wants to. I don't sell hay and have grazing pastures of mixed grasses including coastal which it can have if it wants it. Even with the plants 10+ inches, I have cleaned up some lingering weeds around the edges of the patch by mowing and the grass comes back right away.

So now I have an interesting patch of Bahia, Pearl Millet (getting to love it too), volunteer Foxtail Millet which really responds to fertilizer and very perennial, and the old reliable (which I didn't ask for but will take) Johnson grass.

Soooo if one of these dominant critters wants my hay patch and is perennial........."I'm yours baby". Grin.

Mark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users