29 replies to this topic

#1 Tim/South

Tim/South

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1,938 posts
  • LocationCentral Alabama

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:32 PM

This will probably matter only to those who sell hay by the bale, not ton.

Is a 4 x 5 bale supposed to be 4 x 5 ?
Should a customer expect the bale to be as close as possible to the numbers being advertised?
Should bale density be taken into consideration?

Just curious.
  • downtownjr likes this

#2 urednecku

urednecku

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1,241 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:07 PM

Are you selling by the bale..or by the pound/ton? If I go to buy a 4X5 bale, I would want it to be 4X5, not 4X4. There's a lot of hay in that outside 6 inches.
4X5 = 78.5 cubic feet.
4X4-1/2 = 63.6 cubic feet.
( IF I figured that right. )
That figures to almost another 25%.

Yes, density makes a big difference, too... to some people that bother to pay attention.
  • downtownjr likes this

#3 Waterway64

Waterway64

• Members
  • 389 posts
  • Locationwestern South Dakota

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:02 PM

If your selling your hay, state laws regulating transportation should be considered. Buyers may not be equiped to handle full size bales and that is a consideration. And last what are you equiped to handle best? Hay density and weight varies with maturity and cutting so bale weights will never be consistant to sell by the bale without some weighing. Also no matter how hard you try the bales will vary 2 to 4 inchs in diameter. This is probably a operator thing at least for me..... Mel

#4 hay&litter

hay&litter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  • LocationHickory, MS

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:05 PM

Most 4x5 bales will run from 57 to 60 inches. We try for 59 because overfill alarm factory preset at 61. Most will never be 60 inches consistent. Too many varibles. If I were buying a 4x5 I would want a 4x5 and we do our best to get there. We got a new baler this year and had to wait for the set up guy to leave so we could get to a 59 inch bale. He wanted us to do a 52, I guess warranty issues. I bought a 4x5 and thats what I want to bale.

#5 urednecku

urednecku

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:35 PM

Most 4x5 bales will run from 57 to 60 inches. We try for 59 because overfill alarm factory preset at 61. Most will never be 60 inches consistent. Too many varibles. If I were buying a 4x5 I would want a 4x5 and we do our best to get there. We got a new baler this year and had to wait for the set up guy to leave so we could get to a 59 inch bale. He wanted us to do a 52, I guess warranty issues. I bought a 4x5 and thats what I want to bale.

Think I'd have told him "it's a 4X5 baler, & if it won't do a 4X5 bale take it back to town with you."

#6 OhioHay

OhioHay

Hay Master

• Members
  • 271 posts
  • LocationEast Central, Ohio

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:02 AM

If it was like my BR7060, you were supposed to make 52" for the first 50 bales to break the baler in. Kinda like breaking in an engine. After that, then you could make the size you want. We make a 4x4.5 and tell people that is a 4x4.5. If somebody told me I was buying 4x5's, I would want 4x5's. On a separate note, we can sell 4x4.5 for the same price as a 4x5 due to easier to roll around by horse customers who don't have a loader.

#7 Texasmark

Texasmark

Hay Master

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:57 AM

Couple of things here.

Used to be around here a 5x6 was the norm with the honest guys doing a full sized, tight bale. Some guys only gave you a 5x5 and others would run down the windrow real fast with a light tensioner setting and you got a light bale.

Hay is sold by the bale here as it is too much trouble for buyer and seller to fool with the nearest scales 15 miles away when they are open.

I measured a couple of JD balers (530 and 375) both doing a 5' wide bale and the bales were like 62 x whatever you set the diameter to.

I noticed that 4x5 or 6 depending on which baler you bought are getting real popular around here as hay haulers can load up their 18 wheelers without being oversized. Problem with the size, is that the $100+ per bale price has been applied to them too so as compared to a tight full 5x6 you are getting about half the weight for 4x what you paid a couple of years ago.....but last year with the drought and all, glad to get them.

So I do my own now and don't worry about it....that is when I get the weeds under control and get my hay patch cooperating.

Mark

#8 NDVA HAYMAN

NDVA HAYMAN

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1,814 posts
  • LocationCentral Virginia

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:33 AM

I make my 4x5 at 58" and my 5x6 at 68". I sell by the ton. Mike

#9 RockmartGA

RockmartGA

Hay Master

• Members
  • 535 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Georgia

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:24 AM

Are you selling by the bale..or by the pound/ton? If I go to buy a 4X5 bale, I would want it to be 4X5, not 4X4. There's a lot of hay in that outside 6 inches.
4X5 = 78.5 cubic feet.
4X4-1/2 = 63.6 cubic feet.
( IF I figured that right. )
That figures to almost another 25%.

Yes, density makes a big difference, too... to some people that bother to pay attention.

You figured it correctly. I was bored and calculated all that stuff as well as compared to a square bale (14*16*38).

Size.....Feet3.....# of squares
4x4.....50.27.....10.20
4x5.....78.54.....15.94
4x6.....113.10....22.96
5x5.....98.17.....19.93
5x6.....141.37....28.70
6x6.....169.65....34.44

As illustrated above, a 4x5 bale is 56% larger than a 4x4. Makes a big difference

#10 CockrellHillFarms

CockrellHillFarms

MrBaleMan

• Members
  • 327 posts
  • LocationFreeman, MO

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:05 AM

Thats pretty close to accurate for myself. I've done the math and figure that with my 567 5x6 that I have 30 sq. bales in one round bale. That has proven to be pretty close to accurate. If even run them side by side in the same field for comparison. It works out pretty close considering there are a few variables. This brings me to my next point. Why do ppl still want small square bales? Do the math it doesnt make sense but yet I will have 12k-13k in the barn and they will be gone by december! haha.

5x6 rnd bale 1800 lbs $50 bucks
60lbs x 30 sq bales= 1800 lbs

14x16 (60 lb bale) $4.25 x30 $127.50 for the same amount of hay! You could afford a tractor pretty quickly if you didnt have one at that rate. That's almost a 3:1 savings. But PLEASE PLEASE. Dont explain that to my sq. bale customers!!!!! haha.
  • Nitram likes this

#11 urednecku

urednecku

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:42 AM

But PLEASE PLEASE. Dont explain that to my sq. bale customers!!!!! haha.

It was my round bale customer that explained that to me! He's feeding dairy calves, says he's gotta tote it by hand to them & the round bales are a PITA for them. Had one of his best hands quit because of having to handle round bales.
THAT is why I just bought a square baler--yesterday.

#12 CockrellHillFarms

CockrellHillFarms

MrBaleMan

• Members
  • 327 posts
  • LocationFreeman, MO

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:12 PM

My god. Are people that dumb? Handling a round bale is too hard? Are they rolling them or putting them out of a tractor? Geeezzz.....ppl these days......

#13 urednecku

urednecku

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:26 PM

He's feeding a bunch of small calves, (well over 1,000 head) apperantly in seperate pens. And for some reason has to carry hay in by hand.
HAY, it works for me, all the way to the bank!

Quick update....rolled out a big round & started in it...it'll make 2 or 3 bales, then cut or break the string about an inch or 2 from the knot on a couple. Guess it still needs more rust wore off, and looking at the manual I'm on the way out to clean the knotters, & see if I can find a rough place that's cutting it.

#14 Texasmark

Texasmark

Hay Master

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:45 AM

Agree, convenience and loss could play into that too. A round really needs to be fed to a lot of hungry cows, especially sudan/sorghum fast to preserve the freshness and quality. Other thing is squares are kept indoors and rounds usually outdoors and there is some loss in that.

Problem I personally have with squares, and reason I sold my baler was that my operation is too small for automated equipment and I can't get any help to get the bales up once baled. I can't do that anymore.

Mark

#15 remedy

remedy

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:36 AM

I've just read thru this blog on size of bales and lied the fact that most of you still have morals and values and when you say a bale is 4x5 it is................and then there are those of you who wish to cheat his fellow man by making them smaller......... I don't like liars and cheats.........we all know prices are high......but give us what we pay for!! everyone knows that buying by the ton is the only way to keep a man honest.........but sometimes we have to take their word..........is your word good? This tells the kinda person one really is.

#16 Texasmark

Texasmark

Hay Master

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:46 AM

I've just read thru this blog on size of bales and lied the fact that most of you still have morals and values and when you say a bale is 4x5 it is................and then there are those of you who wish to cheat his fellow man by making them smaller......... I don't like liars and cheats.........we all know prices are high......but give us what we pay for!! everyone knows that buying by the ton is the only way to keep a man honest.........but sometimes we have to take their word..........is your word good? This tells the kinda person one really is.

Yeah but there are some, the local whiners, that say "well I gotta make a living". Then there are dealings with the unknowing consumer that just saw a bale of hay and paid x for it not knowing what he was getting and how much of what he was getting. Some of the stuff that gets baled around here is pure crap; no fertilization, full of weeds, well over maturity, "but I gotta make a living" when challenged. And then there are two prices. One for the horse folks in town and one for the locals. Realizing that time and trucking are involved in the ones going to town, but 3x the price....but that's none of my business; I live in the country.

My 2c,

Mark

#17 remedy

remedy

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:05 AM

I understand what you are saying, and I am very much aware of the kind of people that are selling garbage as a viable product..........it is sad that so many people are doing this...... and even if you live in the country it is your business.........it is all our business.........what is America coming too!!!!!

MY 2c, Bret

#18 shortrow

shortrow

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • LocationSW Ohio

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:29 PM

remedy......what is the remedy then?? I bale and sell honest. You tell me.......
  • remedy likes this

#19 Nitram

Nitram

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1,316 posts
  • LocationMarion Kansas

Posted 20 May 2012 - 09:50 PM

Well the solution is in Ag or any other business is that the buyer beware, know what you are buying and if you run into a poor product you speak with your dollars. The dishonest don't last long in any free market. If this doesn't satisfy your anger towards the perp you can use your contacts to get the word out. As for bale size and quality a visual inspection can usually tell you what your getting. I sell and when I buy it is by the ton.

#20 hay&litter

hay&litter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  • LocationHickory, MS

Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:25 PM

I got the 5410 making 59 to 60 consistent now. I want the customer to get what they pay for. It was a simple process just new to us. Never realized just how nice net wrap could be, 8 to 10 seconds to wrap, just amazing. I agree more money to made it square bales but don't have enough time to do all square or the customer base.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users