24 replies to this topic

#21 hay wilson in TX

hay wilson in TX

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:24 PM

With the Tedder,
You probably know that a PTO RPM of 300 to 350 does the job & is easier on the leaves.

The hay does not need to get up and fly using 540 RPM's.

At roughly 200 RPMs the hay is left in a rough windrow.

Something that is handy is a hydraulic cylinder to change the pitch of the arms on the Tedder.

One is obvious, allows you to adjust the rotors so the teeth are picking up the hay but not the dirt.
I found it handy to be able to have the rotors up flat so I could go over hay with our stirring it up, again.

#22 JD3430

JD3430

Alleged hay master

• Members
  • 4,279 posts
  • LocationPA & DE

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:22 PM

What do you guys think about cutting AFTER it rains? I have learned so much here. One thing I read over & over is pay attention to the humidity down at ground level.
OK, so it just rained here Tuesday, it kind of humid here today (Wednesday).
If I cut tomorrow (thursday) will I be laying fresh cut hay on "humid" ground?
Would it in effect cover the damp ground with a "grass tarp" and slow the drying process down too much?
Maybe I'm being overly concerned......

#23 whitmerlegacyfarm

whitmerlegacyfarm

• Members
  • 452 posts
  • LocationCentral Pennsylvania

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:35 AM

What do you guys think about cutting AFTER it rains? I have learned so much here. One thing I read over & over is pay attention to the humidity down at ground level.
OK, so it just rained here Tuesday, it kind of humid here today (Wednesday).
If I cut tomorrow (thursday) will I be laying fresh cut hay on "humid" ground?
Would it in effect cover the damp ground with a "grass tarp" and slow the drying process down too much?
Maybe I'm being overly concerned......

Mines on the ground now. I cut thurs., tedded fri, going to ted again today and make rake and bale the thinner fields, and then finish raking and baling the thicker stands tomorrow before the chance of showers shows up late. My ground was wet i opted to cut all of my 10ac so i hope it's not all a complete loss. Live and learn i guess. Did you end up cutting ?

#24 JD3430

JD3430

Alleged hay master

• Members
  • 4,279 posts
  • LocationPA & DE

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:04 AM

No, I ended up leaving it go for another time. The guy that buys my hay thought it would be fine to wait as long as a few more weeks if necessary. The ground around here is still damp even though it rained 5 days ago. Really need a hot, dry week.

#25 Gearclash

Gearclash

Hay Master (Supposedly)

• Members
  • 735 posts
  • LocationSioux County, NWIA

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:44 AM

I have noticed that wet (dark) soil under a swath (1) stays wet longer and (2) seems to retard the drying of the swath.
Think of it as a humidity generator right under something you are trying to get dry.

This is part of the reason why we drop a swath that is about 50% of cutting width, then rake two swaths on one the morning of baling. In wetter conditions, the raked windrow falls on ground that is dryer than what is under the original swath.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users