adjusting wheel rake down pressure

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 charlesmontgomery

charlesmontgomery

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:07 AM

how much down pressure should the wheels on a wheel rake have against the ground? Just barely touching? or tines bent over?
  • downtownjr likes this

#2 urednecku

urednecku

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1,125 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:39 AM

Been wondering that myself. I've used mine on probably 15 or 20 acres, and sometimes can find the "sweet spot" where it works good, but when I have to lift it can't seem to get it right again.
I do know when I was in real HEAVY grass, I never could get it to work right. Finally borrowed a bar rake to finish.

#3 Bob M

Bob M

• Members
  • 426 posts
  • LocationNorth East Md

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:56 PM

You want to use as little down force as possible. I have found that our wheel rake doesn't like sharp turns , need to back up and square off. Also if field is smooth the faster your ground speed the better they rake.
  • Norseman and urednecku like this

#4 Waterway64

Waterway64

• Members
  • 342 posts
  • Locationwestern South Dakota

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:55 PM

I fully agree with Bob M. Also the wider the rakes are opened the more stress there is on the teeth. We traded swathers last year and the neww one was set to lay out a maximum width windrow. Looked great until we tried to rake it. Our double six H & S had to be opened up to much and did a terrible job. We narrowed up the windrows and and the rakes and got along fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users