22 replies to this topic

#1 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5,557 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:30 PM

This inventor claims his system is better than a hydraulic bale tensioner as his "airbaler makes corrections on the fly either more or less tension.

Regards, Mike

Michigan producer

#2 Mike120

Mike120

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1,582 posts
  • LocationHockley, TX

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:19 AM

I looked at them before I replaced my old baler. Devang, down south of me, has one and seems to be happy with it.
  • Vol likes this

#3 tnwalkingred

tnwalkingred

Hay Master

• Members
  • 324 posts
  • LocationEagleville, TN

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:43 PM

I wonder if this would benefit my old MF12 baler much? I have been looking to upgrade to a better baler but this might prove to be a low cost fix until I do. Thoughts?????

--Kyle

#4 Toyes Hill Angus

Toyes Hill Angus

Hay Master

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:31 PM

I sat the fence on it for a while, I was torn between it and the bale skii. I went with the bale skii and figured on getting a few peices from Scott Seaver to add to my baler (NH311), but so far the bale skii has surpassed all of my expectations and I haven't went back to the air baler idea since...

#5 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5,557 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:38 PM

I sat the fence on it for a while, I was torn between it and the bale skii. I went with the bale skii and figured on getting a few peices from Scott Seaver to add to my baler (NH311), but so far the bale skii has surpassed all of my expectations and I haven't went back to the air baler idea since...

I ordered Bale Skiis from my Case/IH dealer today for my 1839 MF/Hesston. I hope it comes with well written instructions.

Regards, Mike

#6 Mike120

Mike120

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1,582 posts
  • LocationHockley, TX

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:22 AM

I need to run down South and look at the one Jeff has. I suspect you could make one with a small air tank and an air-ride bladder, but I'm not sure what else is involved. So far my green baler is pretty consistent, but I'm also very anal retentive about raking.....

#7 SVFHAY

SVFHAY

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • LocationWestern Pa.

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:51 PM

A friend of mine has one of these on a NH 575 and likes it. I think that baler had hyd. tension before he put it on but I'm not sure.

#8 Bob M

Bob M

• Members
  • 457 posts
  • LocationNorth East Md

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:47 AM

I run the bale skies also and love them. I would rather have the bale skies and the old hand crank press than the hydrofomatic and no bale skies.

#9 davang

davang

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:08 AM

I run the bale skies also and love them. I would rather have the bale skies and the old hand crank press than the hydrofomatic and no bale skies.

It all depends on the skill of the operator. For me besides the mechanical advantage over springs the air baler gives me a precise setting that I can repeat without guesswork. If you already have hydraulic not much extra benefit there. I want to get the skiis too. The metal in my chamber is getting thin in spots.

#10 R Ball

R Ball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 231 posts
  • LocationBoyd Co Kentucky

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:30 PM

What is the skiis helping with?

#11 Aurora_Ranch

Aurora_Ranch

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • LocationQuitman, Texas

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:08 PM

I wouldnt mind the ski's and an air bladder.

#12 R Ball

R Ball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:04 PM

Our home made air baler is the ticket. We have it on a nh 565 with a kuhns accumulator behind it. One of the best moves we made.

#13 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 3,107 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:27 PM

Sounds like a great idea....how much are the bale skis for that 1839 Mike.....
Anyone know what kinda price he's marketing this air baler at?

#14 thedeere4955

thedeere4955

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Locationsouth east michigan

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:10 AM

The air baler has 2 options one with just an air tank that you fill and the other has an onboard air compressor the first unit is $745 the unit with the compressor onboard is $1145

#15 DSLinc1017

DSLinc1017

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 626 posts
  • LocationChamplain Valley, Vermont

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:03 AM

Our home made air baler is the ticket. We have it on a nh 565 with a kuhns accumulator behind it. One of the best moves we made.

Can you post a picture?

#16 R Ball

R Ball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:19 AM

I don't know how to post a picture but I will try and get my son to. We have a couple hundred bucks in it because we bought a new air ride bag from truck parts place. Find a used one and a tank you could do it for next to nothing.
  • DSLinc1017 likes this

#17 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 3,107 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:02 PM

So tell me guys, why wouldn't you just mount another tank to the system and fill the main tank from the auxiliary tank? I seems that the pressure wouldn't change a whole lot so any adjustments would be minimal +- adjustments....I suppose the main problem would be finding the necessary space required for the separate tank. I would think the problem for me would be having to have a power supply for the compressor, I have enuf plugs to deal with, wouldn't want anymore....

But this discussion brings up another point that I noticed while initially looking at this product, it seems relatively simple in operation and implementation. While that may be a very good thing from our standpoint and the designer as well, how is the best way to go about making sure this fella gets paid for HIS idea? I guess what I'm saying, if I'm going to copy his design then I need to pay him some type of royalty for his design, I wish he had this available in detailed plans, go buy your own product at napa and install according to his directions....that would solve the dilemma in my feeble mind. I don't mind copying the idea, but I feel like I'm stealing if I don't pay for his intellectual property....I know there may be no chance of being "caught" with one, guess he has it patented, but whether he did or not, I wouldn't feel good about it. what's the solution in this case....interested to hear your opins
  • gradyjohn likes this

#18 slowzuki

slowzuki

• Members
  • 1,924 posts
  • LocationNear Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:33 AM

I'm not sure replacing a coil spring with an air spring is patentable. Air springs are generically used all over in industry for everything including the same job as the air baler tensioning the outlet of balers ( not hay though). The main thing going for it is he has assembled a kit so folks don't have to mess around.

#19 FCF

FCF

• Members
  • 244 posts
  • LocationCampbellsville, Kentucky

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:04 AM

So tell me guys, why wouldn't you just mount another tank to the system and fill the main tank from the auxiliary tank? I seems that the pressure wouldn't change a whole lot so any adjustments would be minimal +- adjustments....I suppose the main problem would be finding the necessary space required for the separate tank. I would think the problem for me would be having to have a power supply for the compressor, I have enuf plugs to deal with, wouldn't want anymore....

But this discussion brings up another point that I noticed while initially looking at this product, it seems relatively simple in operation and implementation. While that may be a very good thing from our standpoint and the designer as well, how is the best way to go about making sure this fella gets paid for HIS idea? I guess what I'm saying, if I'm going to copy his design then I need to pay him some type of royalty for his design, I wish he had this available in detailed plans, go buy your own product at napa and install according to his directions....that would solve the dilemma in my feeble mind. I don't mind copying the idea, but I feel like I'm stealing if I don't pay for his intellectual property....I know there may be no chance of being "caught" with one, guess he has it patented, but whether he did or not, I wouldn't feel good about it. what's the solution in this case....interested to hear your opins

Royalities are only required, by law, if you sell a product of the same design. You can build all of them you want for your own use.

• DSLinc1017 and somedevildawg like this

#20 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 3,107 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:28 PM

Royalities are only required, by law, if you sell a product of the same design. You can build all of them you want for your own use.

Exactly......don't make me feel any better about copying his design tho, that's why I think he may have been better off to just sell plans...idk perhaps its just a hangup I have.....I have most of the components laying around the shop to build it....wouldn't cost much out of pocket to build.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users