John Deere makes an aliance with Mac Don

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jeff outwest

jeff outwest

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:43 PM

John Deere Establishes Strategic Agreement with MacDon to Expand Self-Propelled Windrowers
Does anybody know any details?

#2 maknhay

maknhay

• Members
  • 100 posts
  • LocationMitchell, SD

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:55 PM

I'm not surprised at this seeing how Deere's Frontier line has had A MacDon built pivot tounge moco to replace that 1600 hunk of crap for quite a few years now. I am surprised about the self propelled units though since JD seems to have a pretty serious machine already.

#3 swmnhay

swmnhay

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4,078 posts
  • LocationReading,Mn

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:09 AM

So why not just buy a Mac Don?

#4 Teslan

Teslan

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2,434 posts
  • LocationWeld County Colorado (Northern Colorado)

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:29 AM

I'm not all that familiar with Mac Don swathers, but aren't the prices on them less then say NH or Massey? So slap on some extra special green paint and they will cost much more then NH or Massey? :)

#5 jenkinsfarmsinc

jenkinsfarmsinc

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:48 PM

That actually seems like good news to me. I am a huge Deere fan, but they never really nailed the hay machine market. Mac Dons are super good machines, and last I checked they were the same if not more money then the competition. Deere does this with a lot of their machines, I know their excavators are built by hitachi and painted JD yellow. Could end up as a good deal, we will see I guess. Thanks for the update!

#6 Teslan

Teslan

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2,434 posts
  • LocationWeld County Colorado (Northern Colorado)

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:31 PM

after I made my comment about Mac Don being cheaper I browsed Tractorhouse and yes they do appear to be every bit as expensive as any other brand or more so. Plus they go backwards/forwards really fast. Through me for a loop when I saw our neighbors new MacDon headed down the road what looked to me backwards until I saw the guy was facing forward. They've made vast improvements over the last few years I think.

#7 JD3430

JD3430

Alleged hay master

• Members
  • 4,496 posts
  • LocationPA & DE

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:08 AM

Mac Don will benefit from the extensive Deere parts/distn network. Deere will get the technology from a "subcontractor" rather than having to spend lots of money on R/D.
I had a verbal agreement to buy a JD 3430 (my signature) with a 12' platform, but the deal fell through about a month back. I now have a NH1499 on the way. Really liked the Deere much better. Smaller, fits in barn better, etc.
Now I'm stuck with the username JD3430 and I dont even own one!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users