Big baler questions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jenkinsfarmsinc

jenkinsfarmsinc

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:51 PM

Hello All, I am new to this forum and have done some searching on big square balers but still have some questions. I am looking to purchase a good used big square, 3x3 or 3x4, and need some advice. I have heard that a double knotter is the way to go, but all the ads I find do not state if they are single or double. Can anyone tell me which balers do or don't have double knotters ie: NH 590, 595, or the BB940? What about a Hesston 4750 or 4755? Also, I am curious about the pre-chamber, is this common on most big balers or only certain models? And what is the benefit of having the chamber? Thanks in advance for any help!

#2 Toyes Hill Angus

Toyes Hill Angus

Hay Master

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:05 PM

the pre-chamber is a major plus in variable windrow conditions. Any baler can make a consistent and even bales in a perfect field, but the pre chamber does this in all fields, it will not feed hay into the chamber until there is enough hay for a flake. I believe it is standard on all large balers, but only Hesston/Agco have it on the small balers. Hope that clears it up for you, and yes they are a real benefit on the small balers, but a necessity on the big squares.

#3 Gearclash

Gearclash

Hay Master (Supposedly)

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationSioux County, NWIA

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:32 AM

About the double knot knotters, I believe only the NH models D800, D1000, D2000 and JD model 100 are single tie big square bales. Lets just say that any bale 3x3 or bigger needs the double knot. It would be easy to tell if a baler is double tie once you know what to look for as the knotter cam gear is twice the diameter, and there will be that top twine routed to the top.

#4 haystax

haystax

haystaxwest.com

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • LocationDV,NV

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:28 PM

Hesston 4790 is basically the gold standard and the newer MF 2170s have a couple decent upgrades. Krone may have a legitimate shot at the title of "best" but you need to have smooth fields to take advantage of the extra capacity.

Lots of threads on this topic, try a search for more info

#5 stonegrownllc

stonegrownllc

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:25 PM

The double knotter is standard on most balers. I think Krone offers a single knotter option but not sure. I have a BB960a new holland and it is a great baler, no problems at all. As far as I am concerned all companies make a good baler anymore or they would be out of business.

#6 deerezilla

deerezilla

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:25 PM

Krone does have the option on a 2.5 x 3 baler but not the 3x4. I have 6 1290 krone baler now really nice balers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users