• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 greenhorn

greenhorn

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • LocationNE Wisconsin

Posted 09 September 2011 - 06:29 AM

Well for those that recall from before, I posted a bit about questions on machinery and I'm all ready to go!!! Baling already and things were going good but baler is broke down and waiting on parts:( butttttttt.... As a greenhorn... I worked up 10 acres because these fields haven't been in probably close to 30+ years and they really needed it. The sod was unreal...

I was hoping to get some advice on some decent hay mixes... primarily grasses... I'm in zone 3-4a so most of the local guys said alfalfa isn't really a good idea because it won't make it and it'll freeze out. Dunno if that's good advice but they also said our humidity will make drying an eternity and almost impossible not to get rained on. So we were looking at avoiding an Alfalfa mix unless you guys feel that's bad info... I'm not really wanting any fescue or rye grass.... I was thinking timothy, orchard, and brome.... not sure what else or what would be good. Primarily targeting horse folks.

Any advice:confused:

#2 carcajou

carcajou

Hay Master

• Members
  • 546 posts
  • LocationNW ALBERTA

Posted 09 September 2011 - 10:28 PM

Timothy and Meadow Brome is nice if your looking to take a 2nd cutting and they are winter hardy. Works for horses cattle sheep etc.

#3 pengs68

pengs68

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 10 September 2011 - 07:46 AM

The Timothy, Orchard, Brome mix is a good mixture for horses Thats my mixture and customers like it. The only problem over the past few years is being able to get on the fields to get the Orchard grass before its ripe. It goes quick. The brome grass is nice because it stays green later.

#4 CantonHayGuy

CantonHayGuy

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 08:01 AM

Yeah, I think in reality horses don't need alfalfa like horse people think. Seems to me a horse pature mix without the alfalfa is easier to control the weeds anyway without worrying about killing off the alfalfa.

#5 greenhorn

greenhorn

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • LocationNE Wisconsin

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:26 PM

appreciate the info!!! Looks like I had my mix good to go then... Is there a certain kind of blend I should maybe target over others? i.e. baridana orchard grass for the reasons pengs stated about maturity... Tuukka Timothy... and the meadow brome that carcajou recommended?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users