#21 mlappin

mlappin

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 6,481 posts
  • LocationNorth Liberty, Northern Indiana

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:49 AM

See what you guys started....

Seen a inflatable something before I ran it thru, along with a large plastic container of some kind, didn't see this last years christmas tree until it plugged the mower. All in one 18 acre field.

#22 Iowa hay guy

Iowa hay guy

Hay Master

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 12:27 PM

i almost forgot i ran a sheet of corrugated roofing tin thru once too
on a disc conditioner it makes one awful noise

#23 deere4430

deere4430

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:47 PM

i was cutting hay for someone and they didnt tell me that there was a well in the middle of the hay

#24 Josh in WNY

Josh in WNY

• Members
  • 426 posts
  • LocationGowanda, NY

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:48 PM

After reading some of the things that made the list, I guess I've been pretty lucky! I've had my share of fawns, got a turkey once (but I think it was already dead by the smell of it) and have even nailed a couple woodchucks (was glad to see them go through) and a turtle. Other than that, my mowing experiences are pretty dull. I do make it a normal routine to walk the fields early in the spring to see if there is anything laying around before the grass gets growing. I concentrate mainly on the areas where there are trees along the edges so I can get any branches cleaned up. During these walks I have found one antler off a 6 point buck and a broken rake tine.

Most interesting thing I've ever seen anyone pull out of a field was an old hay fork like they used to move loose hay into the mow. My grandfather wraped it around a moldboard while plowing one spring.

Edited by Josh in WNY, 02 March 2012 - 12:54 PM.

#25 TheFastMan_2

TheFastMan_2

• Members
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:18 PM

My brother and I picked up a field a mile down the road a couple years ago that butts right up against a sub-division. The first year he mowed it, there was a door frame, wheelbarrow, clumps of grass clippings, and a bunch of other junk. There is always trash in that field. The land owners finally got it surveyed and the sub-division association send out letters to everyone laying out the law. They were really pushing over the property line. I have ran over several golf balls in that field that one guy shoots out there and never collects. I have a small collection now. I may go out there and shoot them at his house with my compressed air cannon I built in high school. lol. I remember opening up a small square bale one winter and having a rake tine fall out. I thought I was kind of lucky as I recall a fiend telling me how he killed his old 14T with a tree branch once, went to the junk yard. Otherwise I haven't hit anything living or dead.

#26 JimB75

JimB75

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • LocationSE Iowa

Posted 26 May 2012 - 07:32 AM

Picked up a piece of angle iron with the baler Thursday and stopped it dead, also picked up some cow bones and same farm. The first time I ran my 605xl baler in the field I had a Raccoon in it and it got jammed in the upper rollers....what a mess!
  • NDVA HAYMAN likes this

#27 NDVA HAYMAN

NDVA HAYMAN

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1,814 posts
  • LocationCentral Virginia

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:43 AM

Found a double box end International wrench that must have been made for a certain pc of equipment. Mike

#28 JD3430

JD3430

Alleged hay master

• Members
  • 4,590 posts
  • LocationPA & DE

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:32 AM

Had a lot of close calls with fawns. Luckily none killed yet. Picked up one of my own tedder tines once. Talk about embarrassed, I couldn't get mad at anyone but myself!

#29 slowzuki

slowzuki

• Members
  • 1,917 posts
  • LocationNear Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:56 PM

Most everything I hit is with the rotary mower but I did stuff an RV canopy through the discbine last year. The aluminum made quite a racket and bent a lot of flails. It was in the edge of a field behind a campground on the backswath.

#30 JD3430

JD3430

Alleged hay master

• Members
  • 4,590 posts
  • LocationPA & DE

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:13 AM

Well, my luck ran out. Got a fawn on Sunday while mowing outlines for one of my hay fields. Looked like it might survive, but not sure.
I'm a bowhunter and enjoyed shooting deere in their prime, but hitting that fawn was not something I'll easily forget. Poor little guy.....
CRAP!!!

#31 HWooldridge

HWooldridge

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:04 PM

Lots of snakes and three baby fawns over the years; all sorts of trash including steel fence posts (those hurt).

#32 Will 400m

Will 400m

• Members
  • 160 posts
  • Locationwoodstock and lebanon ct

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:28 PM

Lots of wood from trees and only one fawn but it went through so quick all you herd was a little yelp and the rollers thump back closed. The field I just picked up is 35 acres and hasnt been done in a few years and they must have had alot of dead trees fall on the outskirts but clamed they picked the field clean. Said sounds good than you shouldnt have a problem covering any repairs from stuff in the field for the first year. She says sure so I start the mower up and go maby 3 feet and fit a log not a branch but a 8 inch diamiter log. No damage but she sure looked scared and offered to look the field over I said good idea and went and mowed in another field.

#33 mlappin

mlappin

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 6,481 posts
  • LocationNorth Liberty, Northern Indiana

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:54 PM

Well, my luck ran out. Got a fawn on Sunday while mowing outlines for one of my hay fields. Looked like it might survive, but not sure.
I'm a bowhunter and enjoyed shooting deere in their prime, but hitting that fawn was not something I'll easily forget. Poor little guy.....
CRAP!!!

HUH?? Every fawn I've ever hit their was no way it was gonna survive. Haven't got one with the discbine yet but the last two I got with the haybine popped em right out of their hides like a banana. Nasty mess to get out not to mention the haybine stunk like goat for months.

#34 Iowa hay guy

Iowa hay guy

Hay Master

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:59 PM

i almost hit the same deer twice this year
once during the backswath and the next time he was hiding in a hole in a ditch and i about cut him in half but i got stopped in time so he lived for another day poor little guy i bet he just about scared the spots off of him

#35 NDVA HAYMAN

NDVA HAYMAN

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1,814 posts
  • LocationCentral Virginia

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:28 AM

Chased a fawn out while baling straw and it just ran all over the field for 2o minutes. Ran out and stood next to the highway. Semi comes along and I thought the worst but it had enough sense t turn around and finally run for the woods. The day before, our combine ran out a momma bear and two cubs out of the wheat into the field where I was baling straw. They didn't waste any time getting outta there.

#36 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5,534 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:49 AM

Mike, sounds like a gamey area you reside in... we too have deer and alot of bear but the deer are small in stature....nothing like the mid-west giants. Sometimes our bears will be over 500 pounds which is pretty remarkable for this far south in their range. The last 2 archery Kansas whtetail bucks I have taken have weighed over 300 pounds each. I occasionally hunt archery bear here but just generally hold out for the giants....besides, it is awfully expensive to do bear rugs these days....still enjoy a good big game hunt out West on occasion.

Regards, Mike

#37 Nitram

Nitram

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1,315 posts
  • LocationMarion Kansas

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:49 PM

Testing moisture today stuck my hand in windrow and coiled snake. 3 inches away...no head! LOVIN THIS DISCBINE! !!! Martin
  • Mike120, Tim/South and Bgriffin856 like this

#38 Iowa hay guy

Iowa hay guy

Hay Master

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:22 AM

oh yes the disc mower is a mouse gettin snake chasin skunk smashin rabbit peelin machine
most times you dont even know they went thru of course unless its a skunk then you can smell it for days and the underside of the conditioner stinks for weeks

#39 slowzuki

slowzuki

• Members
  • 1,917 posts
  • LocationNear Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:06 AM

Friend of my fil fired up his combine... there was a family of skunks inside the cylinder I think? Anyways, they got stuck in side in pieces. He parked it at the far end of the property and borrowed the neighbours for the season.

#40 Iowa hay guy

Iowa hay guy

Hay Master

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:46 AM

the far end might not even be far enough away if the wind is right

i got a whole family of skunks last year mowin hay and i didnt know it until the guy i baled for said i made a stinky bale so i asked him what he meant and he said he has a bale on the far side of the field cuz it smelled like skunk so bad he could barely stand to haul it but i guess it sold with the rest cuz it wasnt there this year

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users