Hay & Forage Forum banner

Father sick am helping with farm need advise

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Mike120 
#1 ·
Have Vermeer round baler and bale about 300 bales a year for my fathers cows. He uses biodegradable string. Would switching to net wraps make sense or should I leave well enough alone. I am a physician and am trying to maximize hay output for my limited time. Hay is stored outside. Thank you in advance.

#2 ·
Net wrap is always the way to go, if cost is not an issue because it wraps in 1/3 the time of tying a bale, it is very easy to open a bale of net wrap because there is never any strings in the bale a wrap or two.
-But not every baler has the net wrap option. As this is an expensive option, people who spend the 5K on the option tend to used it all of the time, so just be sure you have it Doc.

#3 ·
Last year, some astute person here made the comment "if you bale for yourself you use sisal, if you bale for others you use plastic". I'm not sure that a simular comment couldn't be made for twine wrap and netwrap, at least in my case. Although I do few rounds, when I do, I twine wrap them with sisal. Netwrap looks good, but the option is expensive, the netwrap is expensive, and it's a pain to take off. I can get the twine off with no problem, and if I drop some....so what. I know that it's not likely to end up wrapped around some piece of equipment and if it ends up inside of an animal, again, so what?

I guess I'm sympathetic with the father, because if I got sick my son would probably be asking the same kind of questions. Hope your father gets better soon Doc! It's good of you to help out with the baling!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.