• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dannyj

dannyj

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 08:18 PM

Hi All,

I am in the process of finalizing a decision on which round baler to purchase. Because of sales and service options in my area, I have narrowed it down to four models and two manufacturers: John Deere and New Holland.

I am thinking of the silage options of both manufacturers and two sizing options namely NH BR7060/BR7070 Silage Special and JD 458/468 Silage Special. JD seems to be quite popular around here and am leaning towards it because my neighbor has one and we can exchange equipment (balers) without using each other tractors or having to rewire everything ie monitors etc would be the same. We do this now with the small square baler NH 575 and he or I can just go to each others sheds and hook up and go as long as it is available.

That being said, this should not be the only or primary reason to buy a baler so could someone please give me some insight as to these models. I have a beef farm and have just put up silage pits so the Silage feature is a "just in case" or if I have some custom work to do. It will be mostly for dry hay and the 72" option is for the convenience of having a larger bale so I have to feed less often. If I decide to sell some hay I could always do those at 48".

As much info as possible would be appreciated and thanks in advance for your help

Danny :confused:
  • downtownjr likes this

#2 LaneFarms

LaneFarms

Hay Master

• Members
  • 291 posts
  • LocationChiefland, Florida

Posted 19 November 2010 - 09:10 PM

Danny we have a 467 and have had very few problems with it so far. I would go with which ever dealership has the best service department. You never know when its going to break down, no matter the color, and you will want someone to come fix it then, not whenever someone can get to it.
  • dannyj likes this

#3 mlappin

mlappin

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5,336 posts
  • LocationNorth Liberty, Northern Indiana

Posted 20 November 2010 - 02:28 PM

Seen a lot of green tractors pulling NH balers around here. For what its worth, the NH dealer is considerably closer than the JD dealer in our neck of the woods.
  • dannyj likes this

#4 dannyj

dannyj

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 07:19 PM

Hi Again,

I have would really appreciate as much input as possible especially from those who have tried booth. I know the question is old and tired but I am really at loss for which one to buy.

Thanks Again

Danny

#5 jeroberts

jeroberts

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:15 PM

I bought the 468 with net wrap and have had no problems(other than operator) our New Holland dealer is real small so I opted for the JD and have no regrets.

#6 NDVA HAYMAN

NDVA HAYMAN

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  • LocationCentral Virginia

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:58 PM

So Danny, What's the price difference between the two? Mike

#7 Hayking

Hayking

Hay Master

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 06:53 PM

We traded our 568's for two BR 7090 Speciality this fall we will see next summer how we like them

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users