46 replies to this topic

#1 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4,552 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:39 AM

There is a ornamental plant(vine) called Passion Vine that is a nuisance here in the mid-south and other locations. It shows up here after my first cutting of hay. It is very easy to control(2-4-D and a host of others), but is a absolute nightmare to permanently eradicate. I have to spray every late July or early August and have tried a host of herbicide to permanently eradicate but so far have been unsuccessful as it will come back. Has anyone successfully eradicated this vine permanently?:( Regards, Mike

#2 scrapiron

scrapiron

Hay Master

• Members
  • 238 posts
  • LocationNobleton Fl

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:05 AM

I have been fighting maypop for years. This year tried a combination of remedy,vista and milestone at max label rate with a surfectant and dawn soap.:confused: They are all dead in 3 wks,me think, will have to see if they come back from the roots. The 2,4,d would control them but not kill the roots . I also have a large seed bank in the soil so it will take many more years to eradicate them permanently .:eek:

scrapiron
  • Vol likes this

#3 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4,552 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:01 AM

A fellow at the the local co-op checked with one of his advisors and he claimed that 3.5 pints per acre of Pastureguard by Dow will eradicate Maypop. So I have been spraying the last two mornings and I used 4 pints per acre so we shall see. Won't know anything until next summer, but I shall give you a follow-up. Regards, Mike

#4 vhaby

vhaby

Hay Master

• Members
  • 469 posts
  • LocationNE of Tyler, TX

Posted 06 August 2010 - 09:25 PM

Vol,
This is a timely post as I found the first Maypop on my place a couple of weeks ago. I had GrazonNext in the spot sprayer at the time so I thoroughly sprayed the weed with it. The next day I went back and picked all the seed pods for future burning in a log pile. After picking the seed pods, I sprayed the plant with a combination of Grazon P+D/Remedy and a surfactant. The top is dead for now, but I will watch it for next year. This plant was growing on a log pile intended for burning this fall/winter, so perhaps the heat may help kill it. I'd hate for this plant to get loose on my place.
  • Vol likes this

#5 vhaby

vhaby

Hay Master

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 09:36 PM

This is a reply to my "what to use on Maypop" question- from a Dow Chemical rep:

The fruit is not toxic, but the seed can be spread by feral hogs, birds,
etc. It can be an invasive plant if you don't keep it checked. I would
try Remedy @ 1 quart and Cimarron Plus @ 1 1/4 ounces per 100 gallons of
water with 1 quart of non-ionic surfactant. It has a large underground
culm that requires a good dose of herbicide to kill. Repeated applications
of Roundup will kill it, but Roundup is basically a grass killer, not as
good on broadleaf weeds and vines.
  • Vol likes this

#6 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4,552 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 07 August 2010 - 04:38 AM

I suppose there is alot more of this nuisance around the country as cattle keep it grazed off. I shall give us a report next year or early fall this year as to my findings with Pasturegard. Maybe you can do the same and we shall compare results. I believe every seed in the pod will germinate on top of the ground. Extremely invasive stuff! Regards, Mike

#7 scrapiron

scrapiron

Hay Master

• Members
  • 238 posts
  • LocationNobleton Fl

Posted 08 August 2010 - 08:33 AM

Pastureguard is "Remedy&Vista" and should kill the roots. Checked some of what I sprayed last month and the roots that I found are dead or decaying. Might have hurt an oak tree with my mix.

If you use Cimarron plus hope you don't have any Bahia grass as it will kill it at a rate of .25oz per acre. We use Cimarron plus to comtrol bahia in bermuda hay fields.

scrapiron
  • Vol likes this

#8 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4,552 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:57 AM

"If you use Cimarron plus hope you don't have any Bahia grass as it will kill it at a rate of .25oz per acre. We use Cimarron plus to comtrol bahia in bermuda hay fields."

No Bahia, Just Orchard, Timothy, and some fescue on the upland hills. Never have used Cimarron, what is its best use?
Regards, Mike

#9 scrapiron

scrapiron

Hay Master

• Members
  • 238 posts
  • LocationNobleton Fl

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:39 AM

Cimarron plus is labled for almost 100 weeds. We use it mostly to control many kinds of thistles, dogfennel and bahia grass. The man that turned me on to it is in N Fl and uses it on oats and wheat. On some crops it has up to 1yr rotation interval.

scrapiron

#10 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4,552 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 11 August 2010 - 06:29 PM

Scrap, Been just over a week since I sprayed and all my maypop is now yellow and appears to be dying slowly which I understand is a good sign for eradication. I usually see it come back in very late fall just before frost so I will check end of October for signs of it regenerating. Hope we both have good luck wih eliminating this nuisance. Regards, Mike

#11 vhaby

vhaby

Hay Master

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 09:52 PM

In a previous post I stated that I found one Passion vine on our place- in a log pile. Well, since that time, I have found what I thought was the source of that plant- several plants growing together in a down apple tree. I picked a 2.5 gallon bucket full of fruit off these plants and then sprayed them with a mix of Remedy and Grazeon P+D. They appear to be dead with no new plants surfacing at that location.

Well, today I as I crossed our pastures spot-spraying broadleaf weeds, I must have sprayed 20 young passion vine plants with vines up to 15 inches long. These plants are at least 1/4 mile from the first plants and are in two different pastures. So, it appears that now is the time to begin looking for new Passion vine plants, especially if your place has received a significant amount of rain recently to germinate errant seed. So far, our cows are not eating these new vines.

Edited by vhaby, 21 September 2010 - 09:55 PM.

#12 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4,552 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 27 September 2010 - 03:38 PM

Back on the first part of August I said that I would give a report of my findings of using PASTUREGARD for passion vine eradication. I am sorry to report while going through some areas that I sprayed, that the passion vine has already re-emerged. I have yet to find anything that will eradicate this nuisance. I have my doubts as to glyphosate eradicating this stuff. I do not think you can do anything but control this nemesis. Regards, Mike

#13 vhaby

vhaby

Hay Master

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 09:43 PM

On 9/21/10, I mentioned that I sprayed some large passion vines growing in blown down but still alive apple trees with a mixture of Remedy and Grazon P+D. These vines are not regrowing at this time and the apple trees also are dead. Since that time, I have located additional passion vine plants in forest clearings. I plan to reload the spot sprayer and treat these vines with the Remedy and Grazon P+D mixture. I'll watch for them to re-emerge next spring. My guess is that the feral hog population has been spreading the seeds. Have snared, trapped, and/or shot 63 feral hogs so far this year on these 200 + acres.
  • Vol likes this

#14 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4,552 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 11 October 2010 - 04:56 AM

That sounds encouraging. This spring will give you a solid answer on your mixture. I will be keeping my fingers crossed. Regards, Mike

#15 scrapiron

scrapiron

Hay Master

• Members
  • 238 posts
  • LocationNobleton Fl

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:17 PM

Was out this evening scouting weeds. In the marked areas that I sprayed the Remedy/Vista/Milestone mixture there are no Maypop coming up YET. I do have some showing 2-3 leaves in other areas that were not sprayed. Probably from soil seed bank.

Time to get the backpack sprayer out!!!!!

scrapiron

#16 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4,552 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 26 February 2011 - 05:04 AM

Scrap, Here's hoping you have hit on something. I have noticed in the past that the passion vine here is a mid-spring emerger. Keep us updated in your findings and maybe vhaby will do the same. Both of you fellas are using remedy in your mixture so hopefully that will be a central element in eradication. I wonder if vhaby removed many hogs this winter? Feral hogs are as bad on the environment as feral cats. I remove both at every opportunity. It is great to be able to see spring on the way after the dreadful winter we have had here in the upper South. Regards, Mike

#17 vhaby

vhaby

Hay Master

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 03:51 PM

I've been watching for the return of the passion vine, but it is still early here. Scrapiron's spring is quite a ways ahead of our area. Actually, I'm hoping for some additional cool weather after the hard winter we had in this region. Some of the early budding trees are bursting forth. Blueberry plants and plum trees are about to put out flower buds and if they do, I'm afraid a freeze is going to get them.

Vincent

#18 kingranchf350

kingranchf350

Alabama Hay Mafia

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:32 PM

I seem to remember Velpar having a label for passion vine in bermuda pastures.

#19 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4,552 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:20 AM

I did see Passion Vine listed on Duponts Velpar label. Recommended 4 1/2 pints to acre. Velpar scares me from the warning label on grazing and haying restrictions. Could be OK as a spot spray from my perspective, but I am very afraid of the drift factor. Regards, Mike

#20 vhaby

vhaby

Hay Master

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 10:46 PM

Yesterday, 4/18/11, I checked the sites where I sprayed the large passion vines last summer using Remedy and Grazon P+D tank mixed. There is no evidence of regrowth of these plants. Today, I was spot-spraying in a treed pasture ares and came across several new seedlings of passion vine. The largest was about 15 inches tall.
  • Nitram likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users