moisture content of preservative treated hay

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 millstone61

millstone61

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 11:46 AM

What is the highest percentage of moisture advisable for preservative treated hay? I have read that 25% is the top limit, is that so? What happens if you bale alfalfa that has a 30% moisture rating?

#2 jhag

jhag

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 12:13 PM

I have always thought that the closer to 20% the better. Acid is not a " cure all" for wet hay. If your hay is at 30% then chances are that some is going to be over 30% and you will never get enough acid on it to make it keep. Also ,I have found that trying to bale anything in the 25 plus range is really hard on the baler shear bolts ,etc. I am talking about small squares. Large bales may be different.

Jim

#3 John Anderson

John Anderson

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 03:29 PM

My experience is that hay is the range of 25-35% is a beast to deal with. It's to wet for quality dry hay and to dry to make wet feed with as it won't ferment very well. In the upper level (25-30% moist) you have to add a lot (2% or weight) of acid to be effective and this will add substantial cost to the operation and lower your bottom line.

#4 river rat

river rat

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:45 PM

I baled 80 or so 10 days ago at 25-30 plus just to see if the bale bandit and baler had any problems the first time out. I have been feeding a couple a day since and probing most every day. More than few were heating up enough to turn brown inside. Most are heating some but staying green so far and smell fine but very wet inside. I certainly would not do this as a standard practice. Too unpredictable, expensive and heavy. I like to see 18-23 when using acid and have had no problems in that range unless I forget to turn it back on after turns.

#5 rank

rank

Hay Master

• Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 11:01 PM

What happens if you bale alfalfa that has a 30% moisture rating?

You have junk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors