flail vs discbine

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 WJSzoke

WJSzoke

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 04:07 PM

our local old timer told me after last year, the year of rain ever three days i should invest in a flail mower conditioner. he did well with one last year getting hay dry i have never heard of using a flail mower cond for making hay. The guys in his 70's he has been at it along time but i just thoght it to be strange. Anyone on here use a flail mower cond?

#2 BCFENCE

BCFENCE

Hay Master

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 05:45 PM

I bought a brand new john deere disc bine with the impellar, it was not worth its weight in scrape metal for doing alfalfa, it might be allright for grass hay, but ive been their done that and dont want to do it agian, lost 5 thousand dollars trading it off that fall.
THOMAS

#3 Hayguy

Hayguy

Hay Master

• Members
  • 159 posts
  • LocationFitchburg,Wisconsin

Posted 28 February 2010 - 07:37 PM

If you're talking about a flail cutter, like New Idea or MC made, they're basically a chopper that drops the hay back on the ground. That's probably the most aggressive tool you can use for cutting hay. The hay might dry real fast, but depending on your ground speed, you are left with short stem length and extreme leaf loss when its raked and baled.

#4 WJSzoke

WJSzoke

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 06:54 PM

The old fella had a MC he said you could fly across a field.
he made it sound like it was faster cutting than a discbine are they that fast?

#5 BCFENCE

BCFENCE

Hay Master

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 07:17 PM

MC , Are you sure he didnt mean MoCO, I dont know but just asking.
THANKS THOMAS

#6 Rodney R

Rodney R

Hay Master

• Members
  • 774 posts
  • LocationHamburg, PA

Posted 01 March 2010 - 07:40 PM

MC..... was that what they called the rotary scythe? That and the NI 'cutditioner'...... junk. I have never used them, or been around them, but I have looked at some, and i can not see the difference between cutting with one of them, and cutting with a plain ole flail mower. If you want to make hay, you do not want one of them.

Rodney
  • WJSzoke likes this

#7 Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner

Hay Master

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 05:37 AM

My dad had a MC when I was growing up. It took a lot of HP to operate, something like 115+ HP. It really chopped the hay and the blades had to be sharpened often. He used it to cut fescue mostly. The stubble left after cutting looked like you had cut tall grass with a dull lawnmower. Eventually he went to a disc mower and was very pleased with the disc mowers performance. He never used the MC again.
  • WJSzoke likes this

#8 cozyacres

cozyacres

Grass Farmer

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Wisconsin

Posted 12 March 2010 - 11:30 PM

I've used a 279 NI Cutditioner for years. Very tough, can hit rocks and stumps and keep going. Dose not cut the hay fine like a flail chopper. leaves a bit ragged cut but makes a soft hay, dries fast. I use it on about 75 acres of grass / clover hay, then round bale it. Used a disc mower for a few years, when back to the cutditioner, like it better.
Just my 2 cents.

Stew in Wisconsin.
  • david woodrough likes this

#9 neallisfarmer

neallisfarmer

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 12:39 AM

Used a flale mower once on extremly downed alfelfa field got it off ok but it was just stems when u opened the bale . Should have just did the whole field in one direction with the discbine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users