• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rrch129

rrch129

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • LocationCentral Kentucky

Posted 12 December 2009 - 11:47 PM

How do I get the twine nice and tight on lighter weight squares? My squares are nice and tight but probably close to 65-70 lbs. I want to make them lighter but want the twine tighter on the bales.

#2 Barry Bowen

Barry Bowen

Freeland Hay Maker

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 08:07 AM

Twine tension is basically a function of how tight you are packing them. Put less hay in a bale that is the same length as your current bale, and it will be looser. To keep the same tension you need to keep the same density which means making a shorter bale. You may just have to settle for a happy medium in terms size and tension.

#3 chief-fan

chief-fan

Hay Master

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 09:53 PM

I think the only way your going to keep your twine tight on lighter weight bales is to make shorter bales. Bale density is what makes the twine tight or loose. Normally a 36" - 38" bale will weight about 62 lbs. but this will vary again with density and the material being baled.

#4 hayfarmer

hayfarmer

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 11:07 PM

You may have too much moisture in the hay. Are you having problems with mildew?

#5 rrch129

rrch129

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • LocationCentral Kentucky

Posted 13 December 2009 - 11:12 PM

No, this hay is nice and dry when being baled. Its just a good clean grass mix, I just pack them real dense because I like nice tight, uniform bales and so do the horse people I deal too. Just was throwing the question out. Thanks Guys

#6 PaulChristenson

PaulChristenson

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:59 AM

If you are using a John Deere Baler...you can lighten your bales by making them shorter...;)

#7 geiselbreth

geiselbreth

Hay Master

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 06:43 PM

the twine goes through a twine tensionif plate check and see if twine has worn a groove in it if so repair or replace adjust twine tention for tight bales

#8 Showcrop

Showcrop

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 07:10 PM

Did you notice any difference in weight between cuttings? my second/ third bales tend to be significantly heavier, given all being dry, because of less stem in the later crops.

#9 geiselbreth

geiselbreth

Hay Master

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 12:21 PM

make sure the friction plates for the twine coming out of the twine box is correct making a shorter bale means less weight therefor u will tighten down on the bale density but don't make them so tight when u pick up a bale the string breaks i also use a bale skiss really nice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users