Posted 27 October 2009 - 08:48 PM
Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:08 PM
I find that if you have an ad in the paper and once winter arrives and the cheap hay is gone you can get a good price for your own hay. You just have to be patient. Hay sales is starting to pick up a little out here. Several of the callers have been from the other side of the state saying hay is harder to find in small bales. Many animals are grazing until the snow flies and the grass is gone. Then they buy cheap hay. When it is gone they have to pay for good hay.
- Van Zee Ag. likes this
Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:27 PM
Posted 28 October 2009 - 06:42 AM
We rarely look at any hay that we purchase. It comes into our facility here, but we don't drive to kansas personally, load the truck and write the guy a check. We call the farmer, discuss the hay, hire a truck, get the hay, write a check for the load. And yes you can find all sorts of things to say about the one load you had to chase for 6 months to get paid for from some customer. We have had mutiple customers dissapear, go bankrupt, etc.
But boy oh boy some of the loads of hay we get shipped in here that some moron considered hay! Bottom bales with 2" of mud on them, Unreal amounts of trash, Bales with lots of carmilazation in the centers. Sent a van to TX one year to load out some bermuda. Supposed to be nice dry hay - got loaded out of a stack in the field in the pouring rain - bales were 9' long - farmer pushed 1/3 of the truck full and ran out of traction with his farm tractor. Didn't call, didn't say anything! Truck showed up with steam coming out of the back of the truck. Didn't pay for that load of hay!!!!!!!!!!!! (water soaked mulch hay)
Posted 28 October 2009 - 07:46 AM
Posted 28 October 2009 - 07:50 AM
If I have bad hay and can't sell it I shouldn't think that a hay broker will be able to sell the hay either. That would be dishonest on my part.
I have had drivers come in to pick up hay and start loading ground bales. When I tell them the deal is no ground bales I usually get an answer of "doesn't matter to me, I'm not paying for it". I could just turn around and walk away and let them load the ground bales. I don't. I usually get on their case and ask them where they will be working next week. If they have ground bales loaded I make them unload them or I call the buyer. My ground bales are discounted because of the mud.
We are lucky here because of low humidity. I can loosely cross stack ground bales mud up 2 by 2 about 8 high. That mud dries before it penetrates the hay. I get at least half price for those bales for cow hay.
When a good hay broker is taking discounted ground bales they drag them on the dry ground. That removes all mud and loose damp hay. You can watch these guys and learn all the tricks.
Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:06 AM
Another guy I know thought he had 17 loads sold to a Texas broker @ 150 ton picked up.He didn't have nothing down on it and when the hay price dropped the broker reniged on the deal.
Thats the game a lot of them play,book the hay at such a price,and if they can't get it sold or the price goes down they leave you hanging.And if the price goes up they want it at the booked price.
Not saying that they are all bad just a few things that I've heard.
Edited by swmnhay, 28 October 2009 - 08:16 AM.
Posted 28 October 2009 - 07:26 PM
Posted 28 October 2009 - 09:57 PM
Posted 29 October 2009 - 07:15 AM
Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:38 AM
I'm just getting started with 40 acres of 1 yr. established alfalfa and timothy. I am planning on planting another 80 acres of straight alfalfa in the spring (unless someone has better advice). The bales will be 3x3 big squares. I am 20 miles east of Des Moines. I really like to keep the hay inside when baled, but am limited to around 500 big square bales of inside storage. If at all possible selling it straight off the farm would be the best.
I'll send you a PM and I'll see if I can help ya out.
Posted 29 October 2009 - 02:32 PM
Posted 30 October 2009 - 06:37 AM
Posted 30 October 2009 - 09:17 AM
90% of the hay we buy is bought on credit. The other 10% is people we are establishing a relationship with. It is definitely a 2 way street. It is just as hard to get deposit money back on hay that ended up being worse than it was represented as. I don't reject loads of hay and not pay for them, instead we work with the people who sent it and try to figure out how to make that load not cost any more money for both parties involved. If it turns into a pissing match, we pay for the load of hay, take the loss, and never buy from that person again.
I consider myself a hay broker, but I try to look at all of the hay before it is bought, and then every bale is brought here to be processed. I can accurately represent what we sell, because I look at every bale that runs through the press.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users